Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

I was looking up Ville Leino's hometown on Wikipedia, and I found something of interest...

Are there times when you guys are fed up with the way your cell phones act up? Do you wish you could do something about that occasional dropped call? Then this event in Leino's hometown is for you!

This was sheer coincidence that I stumbled upon this, but I figured that there are enough people who complain about their cellphone coverage and would like to do something about it.

That is too freaking funny!!

My complaint is a lazy ass cop sitting at the end of my street writing tickets to people for rolling thru a stop sign as they make a right turn..just got in a big argument with him as I sat at the intersection for an hour to warn people he is there..which he did not take kindly to..I asked him if he really felt he was doing police work sitting in a neighborhood writing tickets to the ladies who lunch crowd...again something he did not take kindly to...asked him if 2 cars coming thru the intersection every five minutes presented a public safety concern...seeing as how I have lived here 8 years and never once have seen an accident there..he did not take kindly to that either.

This is the thrid day in last week this douch nozzle has been out there...I am sick of it.

Or you could just, not be an a-hole, and let the cop do his job.

• Like (+1) 2

I am really feeling the urge to move out of Dixie (which is another topic altogether and something I can't discuss on here).

Go ahead and say it. Thats what this thread is for complaint Thursdays. Is it the teeth?

I wish a cop would watch the main intersection in front of my office building here. They could wipe out any budget deficit just by ticketing all the people who run red lights.

For those blasting me..this is what my complaint is. THERE IS NO PROBLEM in my neighborhood...this is lazy ass police work. I have nothing agsint cops doing their job..just do it where it will have some impact..not on a street in a tucked away neighborhood where two cars go through the intersection every 5 minutes...and there has not been one accident in 8 freaking years. I bet you that guy has written less than 3 tickets in close to 20 hours of being out there...this is a wise use of his time?????

I understand they have a job to do and I appluad them for it...this is just a waste of time and moneyh

For those blasting me..this is what my complaint is. THERE IS NO PROBLEM in my neighborhood...this is lazy ass police work. I have nothing agsint cops doing their job..just do it where it will have some impact..not on a street in a tucked away neighborhood where two cars go through the intersection every 5 minutes...and there has not been one accident in 8 freaking years. I bet you that guy has written less than 3 tickets in close to 20 hours of being out there...this is a wise use of his time?????

I understand they have a job to do and I appluad them for it...this is just a waste of time and moneyh

And he's probably there because some old lady in your neighborhood called the department and complained. So cut the guy some slack. They don't just sit around doing whatever all day. They do what their bosses tell them. Take it up with the Chief's office instead of trying to play captain liberator.

And he's probably there because some old lady in your neighborhood called the department and complained. So cut the guy some slack. They don't just sit around doing whatever all day. They do what their bosses tell them. Take it up with the Chief's office instead of trying to play captain liberator.

Exactly. I'm sure the cop would probably rather be doing something more interesting as well.

My job has officially reached the point where myself and my 2 co-workers are being lectured at during our staff meetings. We took a pretty good hit last month when we lost 2 staff members (that aren't being replaced), but with all things considered, we've managed do get the work done pretty well since then and our time hasn't been terribly consumed - even with the weather hampering things. Yet, our manager continues to tell us that we can't drop what we're doing to help others because we're so ****in' busy.

I'm not sure if she realizes that we're not working on these "priority" jobs every waking second. I brought it up yesterday that we actually can take care of the simple stuff that takes 20 seconds to do in between these other priorities. In other words, we're capable of multitasking. I'm almost 40 years old...I don't need to feel like I was just caught pulling little Suzy's pigtails.

Somewhat related, I was at a job interview recently where I like the looks of the job I'm up for, but the pay is 8-10k less. I haven't been offered the job, but they seemed to like me enough. :unsure:

there is no compensation that can replace happiness at work. period. i took a 22k hit to come work where i am, and i couldn't be happier. i have a sense of accomplishment, camaradarie, appreciation, and i thoroughly enjoy working for my boss. at my last gig, i hated my boss to the point where i had a secret calendar counting down the days until she retired. i had literally no support from software engineering to accomplish my doc writing tasks. i had precisely 2 friends, both of whom were in QA, neither of whom had any pull with anyone in software to get what i needed. management was a joke; their idea of managing was switching from a waterfall environment to an agile environment "just to shake things up." they had no idea what the software was capable of doing, yet they made all kinds of promises to customers who hadn't even signed a PO yet. it was just a mish-mash of stupidity from the top level down, and it sucked ass.

so i quit. landed this gig for a lot less of money, but a LOT more job satisfaction and sense of corporate worth, and i love it. take that for what it is--advice from a stranger. :)

That is too freaking funny!!

My complaint is a lazy ass cop sitting at the end of my street writing tickets to people for rolling thru a stop sign as they make a right turn..just got in a big argument with him as I sat at the intersection for an hour to warn people he is there..which he did not take kindly to..I asked him if he really felt he was doing police work sitting in a neighborhood writing tickets to the ladies who lunch crowd...again something he did not take kindly to...asked him if 2 cars coming thru the intersection every five minutes presented a public safety concern...seeing as how I have lived here 8 years and never once have seen an accident there..he did not take kindly to that either.

This is the thrid day in last week this douch nozzle has been out there...I am sick of it.

Or you could just, not be an a-hole, and let the cop do his job.

How else are they going to pay for that second Police ATV (you can't have races with just one) or a helicopter?

I fully support the police as I have counted on them several times, but plenzmd1 is right, that's nothing but a money grab. IMO there are way more cities that have police choppers than actually need them.

Your right there, and I have called Henrico County police and complained. I understand its not his choice..guess i was shooting the messenger

My daughter had a normal EEG as an infant. We split up her vaccinations. She had her first seizure in the week following. She got the measles from that one and I watched her spin around in circles for three days following, a behavior she had never exhibited before. She is Autistic and now has a very abnormal EEG, having seizures about every 4 months as she outgrows her medication. Don't tell me that what I witnessed first hand was made up.

I understand that vaccinations are for the greater good, but they do hurt a small fraction of the population and the govt knows this. They actually pay a lot of money out very quietly to families like mine who have been injured by vaccinations. Unfortunately for me, it was so quietly that we didn't find out about it until it was too late.

As to the other thing, I was actually comparing Cheney to Gore. I find them both to be opportunistic douches. I just found it interesting that you didn't like one because he makes money because he believes in global warming, but you don't care that the other one makes money because he believes that "it's every American's right to drive a big SUV." (from Meet The Press)

Sorry about your daughter. I have an autistic child as well but nothing as severe as what you're going through.

You seem to be making a lot of assumptions regarding causation.

Your right there, and I have called Henrico County police and complained. I understand its not his choice..guess i was shooting the messenger

That's not necessarily true. He may have been assigned there - then again, he may have a found a low key neighborhood with no problems and less traffic that he enjoys hanging out in. Maybe he likes harassing the lunch ladies. Or maybe he is just trying to scare the natives away so he can catch a few z's.

Sorry about your daughter. I have an autistic child as well but nothing as severe as what you're going through.

You seem to be making a lot of assumptions regarding causation.

Sorry to hear of your child as well. I wasn't making assumptions (well, maybe I was), just relaying the direct relationship I saw between my daughter's behaviors and her vaccinations.

Here's a bit of what I wrote to taro after the thread was closed last week

...I personally believe that there was something going on with my daughter before her vaccinations, but they definitely triggered something. That study (1998 Lancet) pisses me off, because until they know positively what causes autism and seizures (often seen together), I don't want them to rule anything out. I don't want one faulty study to cause someone to dismiss vaccinations altogether. Even though the preservative may not cause anything, they may have other effects that we don't know about. For my wife and I, there is no doubt (even if we're wrong :D )...

If vaccinations aren't hurting a small population of children, then why is the government paying damages to an even smaller population of families of those kids?

there is no compensation that can replace happiness at work. period. i took a 22k hit to come work where i am, and i couldn't be happier. i have a sense of accomplishment, camaradarie, appreciation, and i thoroughly enjoy working for my boss. at my last gig, i hated my boss to the point where i had a secret calendar counting down the days until she retired. i had literally no support from software engineering to accomplish my doc writing tasks. i had precisely 2 friends, both of whom were in QA, neither of whom had any pull with anyone in software to get what i needed. management was a joke; their idea of managing was switching from a waterfall environment to an agile environment "just to shake things up." they had no idea what the software was capable of doing, yet they made all kinds of promises to customers who hadn't even signed a PO yet. it was just a mish-mash of stupidity from the top level down, and it sucked ass.

so i quit. landed this gig for a lot less of money, but a LOT more job satisfaction and sense of corporate worth, and i love it. take that for what it is--advice from a stranger. :)

Understood...completely. Job satisfaction is a big thing to me, too. About 5 years ago, I actually left my current job and came back after a year of being miserable and bored somewhere else. Things here have certainly changed within those 4 years - people leave and don't get replaced, upper mgmt wants to do things that are cardinal sins in the IT world, we can't get money to do things, and my manager openly hates the job.

And to Kevbeau, I agree with the idea, but I'll just say that I'm dealing with a state entity. I'm sure they're restricted in what they can or can not offer. Again, I don't have an offer yet, so this may end up being a decision I don't have to make.

gotta agree with you on that one. i could make 20K more at a larger company, but my coworkers are great (we're a company of 10), i get 4 weeks paid vacation anually, and i can come and go as i please to accommodate my 3 year old son and his daycare schedule. my boss is a tightwad and can be a major ass (plus he's french), but he's been nothing but supportive through my divorce and has given me a few free days to deal with stuff. at the end of 2011 i'll have been on the road for 115 days, and starting in 2012, i'll be done traveling. as much as i enjoy the international travel, at this point of my life, i need to be with my son as much as possible. the divorce has been really hard on him, and he doesn't like staying with his mom on her nights. i told my boss for my peace of mind and the well being of my kid, i couldn't do the travel anymore, and he said no problem and is basically giving me a promotion (no raise though... like i said, a tightwad). i know i wouldn't get the same perks working for a large company.

Sorry to hear of your child as well. I wasn't making assumptions (well, maybe I was), just relaying the direct relationship I saw between my daughter's behaviors and her vaccinations.

...I personally believe that there was something going on with my daughter before her vaccinations, but they definitely triggered something. That study (1998 Lancet) pisses me off, because until they know positively what causes autism and seizures (often seen together), I don't want them to rule anything out. I don't want one faulty study to cause someone to dismiss vaccinations altogether. Even though the preservative may not cause anything, they may have other effects that we don't know about. For my wife and I, there is no doubt (even if we're wrong :D )...

If vaccinations aren't hurting a small population of children, then why is the government paying damages to an even smaller population of families of those kids?

It just sounds conspiracy theory-ish to me. Why would the government be paying anyone off regarding vaccinations/autism? What's in it for them?

Because the public health impact of a widespread vaccination scare could be catastrophic and the CDC and NIH have the job of protecting the public, not individuals. That said, I have the vaccines for my sons spaced out, never more than one in a month. This so we can monitor the effects.

gotta agree with you on that one. i could make 20K more at a larger company, but my coworkers are great (we're a company of 10), i get 4 weeks paid vacation anually, and i can come and go as i please to accommodate my 3 year old son and his daycare schedule. my boss is a tightwad and can be a major ass (plus he's french), but he's been nothing but supportive through my divorce and has given me a few free days to deal with stuff. at the end of 2011 i'll have been on the road for 115 days, and starting in 2012, i'll be done traveling. as much as i enjoy the international travel, at this point of my life, i need to be with my son as much as possible. the divorce has been really hard on him, and he doesn't like staying with his mom on her nights. i told my boss for my peace of mind and the well being of my kid, i couldn't do the travel anymore, and he said no problem and is basically giving me a promotion (no raise though... like i said, a tightwad). i know i wouldn't get the same perks working for a large company.

I get all of the things you've listed here. I work for one of the 5 largest companies in the world. It's not size, it's the attitude of the company, but I wholly agree, happiness is critical.

My daughter had a normal EEG as an infant. We split up her vaccinations. She had her first seizure in the week following. She got the measles from that one and I watched her spin around in circles for three days following, a behavior she had never exhibited before. She is Autistic and now has a very abnormal EEG, having seizures about every 4 months as she outgrows her medication. Don't tell me that what I witnessed first hand was made up.

I understand that vaccinations are for the greater good, but they do hurt a small fraction of the population and the govt knows this. They actually pay a lot of money out very quietly to families like mine who have been injured by vaccinations. Unfortunately for me, it was so quietly that we didn't find out about it until it was too late.

As to the other thing, I was actually comparing Cheney to Gore. I find them both to be opportunistic douches. I just found it interesting that you didn't like one because he makes money because he believes in global warming, but you don't care that the other one makes money because he believes that "it's every American's right to drive a big SUV." (from Meet The Press)

It just sounds conspiracy theory-ish to me. Why would the government be paying anyone off regarding vaccinations/autism? What's in it for them?

who says they are?

See above.

Edited by Assquatch

Here we are almost a year after my HD TV purchase, and my T-W feed for some channels is still crap. Fast moving close-ups of sports or action movies results in varying amounts of pixelating on many channels. I have had them out numerous times to no avail. I know it is not the TV, because sports on some channels(ESPN), I don't see the problem at all. Other channels(NBC), are horrible and I see it all the time.

If they are compressing the signal as some here previously suggested, they are never going to own up to it. Therefore, I either live with it, keep making them come out to be a pain in the ass, or switch to having a Wok on the side of my house(no thanks).

PS Verizon has stalled on their FIOS deployment in WNY, so I am screwed in that regard.

It's not a conspiracy. They are actually doing it. And if you have an autistic child iI would seriously look into it. We had a case but because we found out about it too late, our daughter was too old to qualify.

There is nothing in it for the gov't. They are forced to pay by the law.

Because the public health impact of a widespread vaccination scare could be catastrophic and the CDC and NIH have the job of protecting the public, not individuals. That said, I have the vaccines for my sons spaced out, never more than one in a month. This so we can monitor the effects.

Like I said before. Vaccines are for the greater good. They have eradicated many very bad diseases. But they do hurt a small number of people and those people should be rewarded damages. I'm lucky enough to have great health insurance. I don't even want to think about what my situation would have been like without it.

Here we are almost a year after my HD TV purchase, and my T-W feed for some channels is still crap. Fast moving close-ups of sports or action movies results in varying amounts of pixelating on many channels. I have had them out numerous times to no avail. I know it is not the TV, because sports on some channels(ESPN), I don't see the problem at all. Other channels(NBC), are horrible and I see it all the time.

If they are compressing the signal as some here previously suggested, they are never going to own up to it. Therefore, I either live with it, keep making them come out to be a pain in the ass, or switch to having a Wok on the side of my house(no thanks).

PS Verizon has stalled on their FIOS deployment in WNY, so I am screwed in that regard.

Have you noticed anything weird with the sound on NBC with HD? Basically, it's as if it's all reversed - the crowd seems to drown out the announcers. I've noticed this with any sport that NBC broadcasts, but I can't seem to tell if it's HD-related.