Free Agency Frenzy

Corp000085

Well they plan on clearing up 3.3 of that. I don't know how they would get right of Connolly. Maybe someone is in desperate need of human glass.

Couldn't they have bought Connolly out? I'm not sure how that rule works. As far as #61? I will believe it when he is gone. It just seems it will end up being more lip service from the Sabres.

Couldn't they have bought Connolly out? I'm not sure how that rule works. As far as #61? I will believe it when he is gone. It just seems it will end up being more lip service from the Sabres.

I think he can be bought out but that's still a cap hit for the season. So we either pay him to play 3 games or pay him to play 0 games. About #61, I agree. I even questioned myself when I posted it.

Also, I think the face time on TV is going to be similar to the interesting but not-too-enlightening draft preview version. I hope LQ isn't there. I've grown tired of his spin speak. Besides, I can't think of anything more that he's going to say than stuff he's already said like cap around $50 mil this year, not going after top-tier players but mostly only interested in mid-range players (which personally I would guess is 2-3 mil). So, I would be surprised if we see the likes of Orpik today. More like a back-up goalie and/or an upgrade from Pratt.

I don't like Tucker but I'd take him on the team. The Sabres need more than one of those players. They need one upfront and the desperately need one on the blue line. The Sabres need a head hunter to protect Miller. I want a guy that is willing to pay a fine or take a supension to protect Miller. It wasn't the number of games that wore Miller out last season. It was all the extra energy he used picking himself up night after night.

I want a tough forward and a tough defenseman too. Give them a bit of time. You've been a staunch defender of this management group for 3 years now. Darcy isn't a guy to flap his lips when he doesn't mean it. Things probably won't happen today, but they will happen eventually. The 2nd-tier forwards likely won't sign today. And I think we'll trade 1 or 2 of our forwards for a defenseman once the FA dust settles and everyone realizes what they still need.

I agree that we need to protect Miller better. However, I think it was the workload and the pressure that wore him down, not the occasional crease collision. Protecting him, IMHO, is more about playing with fire and determination than it is about physically protecting his health.

A press conference an hour before FA begins. Sometimes I wonder what is going on down there. :blink: :blink:

I've been wondering about this myself. I think we're looking at 2 possible messages to be delivered by the team:

1. Miller has agreed to an extension (highly unlikely)

2. The Sabres do not expect to sign anyone today because they feel that for the long-term health of their organization, they can't shop at the most expensive store in the mall, etc. (very likely).

I've been wondering about this myself. I think we're looking at 2 possible messages to be delivered by the team:

2. The Sabres do not expect to sign anyone today because they feel that for the long-term health of their organization, they can't shop at the most expensive store in the mall, etc. (very likely).

Pretty sure #1 can't happen, I thought they couldn't announce anything until noon.

And #2, eh, I doubt it, I don't think they'll just come out and say "We're cheap, we're not going to do anything."

Part of me is hoping that they'll announce something about signing Berinier/Paille/MacArthur.

I want a tough forward and a tough defenseman too. Give them a bit of time. You've been a staunch defender of this management group for 3 years now. Darcy isn't a guy to flap his lips when he doesn't mean it. Things probably won't happen today, but they will happen eventually. The 2nd-tier forwards likely won't sign today. And I think we'll trade 1 or 2 of our forwards for a defenseman once the FA dust settles and everyone realizes what they still need.

I agree that we need to protect Miller better. However, I think it was the workload and the pressure that wore him down, not the occasional crease collision. Protecting him, IMHO, is more about playing with fire and determination than it is about physically protecting his health.

To say Miller is involved in a "occasional crease collision" is like saying that Paris Hilton is involved in a "occasional crease collision". They both happen on a nightly basis.

I have defended Regier for some time now. And over that time the toughness of this team has always been a major issue. They have an opportunity to address that need in a huge way. To pass on it tells me that maybe they are not as committed to the idea as they say.

A press conference an hour before FA begins. Sometimes I wonder what is going on down there. :blink: :blink:

Well, it's not like we have UFA's of our own that he needs to be talking with (unlike last year.)

I imagine it will be "we might make a move if an opportunity presents itself, but mostly we aren't expecting to make too many moves today, as we won't overpay for the big name UFAs." I generally agree with that statement, but I think it's worth it once every couple of years for goodwill with the fans. You can't do what the Rangers do or what Tampa appears to be doing -- it wouldn't be smart for this team -- but one big move won't kill ya and just feels good. Most people here want Orpik and he's probably not worth much more than $4 million per year. However, if the market went higher and the Sabres made a splash at $5 million per year, there would be some complaints about overpaying, but mostly people would say "wow, they did something to make this team better." They could ride that feeling until 2011 before they might look to do something like that again.

Looks like you have to do a bit of hoop jumping to get to the link that is for the live interview. Otherwise the default is that chick doing the behind the scenes of the draft.

To say Miller is involved in a "occasional crease collision" is like saying that Paris Hilton is involved in a "occasional crease collision". They both happen on a nightly basis.

And, in both cases, there is video to prove it! :thumbsup:

Orpik wouldn't come close to breaking the Sabres bank. If they sign another defensemen in his place they might as well put "Not Brooks Orpik" on the back of his jersey.

Hmmmmm.

I would expect one of the following:

1) Miller signed

2) Trade

3) An announcement that the day after Thanksgiving is a stupid day to shop. Darcy says: "I'm going to be surfing Amazon.com, today. Free shipping is free shipping."

Hmmmmm.

I would expect one of the following:

1) Miller signed

2) Trade

3) An announcement that the day after Thanksgiving is a stupid day to shop. Darcy says: "I'm going to be surfing Amazon.com, today. Free shipping is free shipping."

Again, not sure if (1) has the same time constraints as FAs (i.e., noon). (2) would be the most exciting.

Edit: what clock are they working on? It's 11:04, let's get this going!

Again, not sure if (1) has the same time constraints as FAs (i.e., noon). (2) would be the most exciting.

Edit: what clock are they working on? It's 11:04, let's get this going!

11:11...nothing. Actually this is pretty much the same as him speaking as "nothing" of note will be spoken. :D

Archived