Captain Clutch/Intangibles has been pretty quiet

LabattBlue

Where has Captain Clutch/Intangibles been? Pretty quiet for 7 mil per year.

I know Quinny was willing to match any offer, but I'm glad Drury chose to go to the Rangers.

Beat him up thread numero 8 million...Dont you guys have better things to do than jump on someone we should have kept to make yourselves feel better???? Well as long as itmakes you feel better.... :thumbsup:

Beat him up thread numero 8 million...Dont you guys have better things to do than jump on someone we should have kept to make yourselves feel better???? Well as long as itmakes you feel better.... :thumbsup:

Yes, instead I jump on our other ex-co-captain! :ph34r:

30 pages, here we come!!!

Why do people insists on tainting their well thought out posts with facts that are not in evidence? This is the simple management response to why they let these guys go when it is not even close to the truth. You can forgive them for making errors in judgement, you can say that the opposite side is using 20/20 hindsight, you can even argue that they are overrated and the Sabres are better off without them, but it is not true to say that they couldn't have afforded them! Blue, you know you are better than that!

With Vanek, Drury & Briere at 7 mil and Campbell coming along somewhere between 5 and 7, do you believe that there would still be room for Miller at say 6 and Pominville at 4-5? That would be 36-39 mil for 6 players on a team that is struggling(at least according to them) to make money in a year where they don't make the playoffs. I'm not sure there are any teams that have 4 players at or close to 7 mil a year.

Nice work BTP. You've obviously read all of my past Drury rants. I have no problem with Drury, especially since he's a legend where I went to school (a program that has coincidentally fallen apart not long after he left), but people really need to stop making him out to be something he is not. Good hockey player that I'd love to have on my team at the right price? Yes. Incredible leader who does nothing but win? Not at all.

Geez. Are you glad we didn't make the playoffs? Everyone's glad we didn't keep Briere, and Soupy, and now Drury wasn't worth it, blah blah blah. This is insane! Good teams are more than the sum of their parts. Drury is exactly the kind of blood-and-guts player the Sabres were so sorely lacking this year -- and if we don't get a couple of guys like him this offseason, we're going to miss the playoffs again next year.

He's definitely hurt with some kind of midsection injury. He skated off the ice in the 2nd period last night in obvious pain in the middle of a play.

Well said. I hate the sour grapes attitude when someone leaves Buffalo. 'You're washed up, don't come back or we'll "boo" you, you suck anyways.'

He is obviously hurt.

And I don't know how much he has done in the playoffs, but I know he really helped them through the season. Buffalo only needed 3 points, and he certainly would have helped.

I should have thought twice about starting a Drury thread. :doh: While I didn't dislike him the way I am about Campbell and he was a good player for 3 mil a year or whatever they paid him, I saw many games over the 3 years he was here, where Drury was invisible. He was also never the playmaker that I want to see out of the Sabres two scoring line centers. The things everyone praised him for...good faceoff man, good locker room guy, etc..., I would hope they could find in a player for less than 7 mil a year.

I've said my peace. I'll bow out now. :D

With Vanek, Drury & Briere at 7 mil and Campbell coming along somewhere between 5 and 7, do you believe that there would still be room for Miller at say 6 and Pominville at 4-5? That would be 36-39 mil for 6 players on a team that is struggling(at least according to them) to make money in a year where they don't make the playoffs. I'm not sure there are any teams that have 4 players at or close to 7 mil a year.

He isn't saying at their current salary, he is saying that they could have had them for less if they had taken a chance and signed them early, instead of waiting and letting the market price them out of town. At what each is getting now, of course they couldn't afford everyone. But it is a fact that each of them could have been had cheaper. Briere for $5 mil for 5 years, Cambell for under 5 mil, for 5-6 years, and Drury for whatever the deal was that he had agreed to in princial during last season, those were all deals that the players made to the team themselves, so they would have accepted. If you want a good team with good players, you are going to have to pay for them, or atleast have the best scouting department in the league, and a fully stocked minor league team

As for the team struggling and not making the playoffs, the belief is they would have been in the playoffs with them this year, like the year before, so they woudn't be strugling to make money because they would have made the playoffs

There in lies the rub with me, proper forecasting and planning would have prevented this. You will not find one post from me, or other posters like me, that says Buffalo should have kept all those guys at that price. That is my complaint with management, not that they wouldn't keep these players at all costs.

If Paychex had a manager who so badly forecast market trends, TG would have fired him/her on the spot. LQ is still holding on to the hope that oil is going to go back down to 2005 levels, thus bringing down the Canadian dollar, thus bringing down the cap. Of course with oil going over $120 per barrel and some OPEC members predicting $200, Larry hasn't brought that up since the presser.

I should have thought twice about starting a Drury thread. :doh: While I didn't dislike him the way I am about Campbell and he was a good player for 3 mil a year or whatever they paid him, I saw many games over the 3 years he was here, where Drury was invisible. He was also never the playmaker that I want to see out of the Sabres two scoring line centers. The things everyone praised him for...good faceoff man, good locker room guy, etc..., I would hope they could find in a player for less than 7 mil a year.

I've said my peace. I'll bow out now. :D

We've disagreed about Drury in the past, so why should that change now? :nana:

I just find it odd that the guy posts career highs in goals, points, PPG, PPA, PPP, SHG and GWG during his time in Buffalo (without the benefit of playing with all the Hall of Famers he rode to a Cup in Colorado - sorry BTP, had to do it) - all while being asked to play against opponents' top lines, kill penalties and be a key faceoff guy - and people say they expected more out of him. Those nights when people said he was quiet or invisible - he was still on the PK, he was still battling the opposition's top scorers, he was still working hard on each and every shift.

For $7M you should be able to find a couple veteran leaders who can play well in both ends of the ice, not hurt the team, maybe one can be good on faceoffs, maybe one will be good at the PK. The problem is that we had a guy who could do all that (and pretty damn well) and was willing to do all that for around $5M, and we screwed it up. Now there are a lot of people trying to justify his departure by diminishing or devaluing his contributions, and that's sad.

Drury is exactly the kind of blood-and-guts player the Sabres were so sorely lacking this year -- and if we don't get a couple of guys like him this offseason, we're going to miss the playoffs again next year.

Exactly.

LQ is still holding on to the hope that oil is going to go back down to 2005 levels, thus bringing down the Canadian dollar, thus bringing down the cap. Of course with oil going over $120 per barrel and some OPEC members predicting $200, Larry hasn't brought that up since the presser.

:blink: :blink: :blink:

Not arguing with your post, Tom ... just longing for the days when the price of oil was not a factor in hockey discussions ... oh, to debate Barrasso vs. Puppa again ....

I just find it odd that the guy posts career highs in goals, points, PPG, PPA, PPP, SHG and GWG during his time in Buffalo (without the benefit of playing with all the Hall of Famers he rode to a Cup in Colorado - sorry BTP, had to do it) - all while being asked to play against opponents' top lines, kill penalties and be a key faceoff guy - and people say they expected more out of him. Those nights when people said he was quiet or invisible - he was still on the PK, he was still battling the opposition's top scorers, he was still working hard on each and every shift.

Again, I agree with all of that ... I think the Sabres got exactly what was expected out of him, as are the Rangers. The originla start of the thread, to me, was "Why isn't Drury carrying the Rangers to the Cup?!?!" my point was, he was never that guy. He's everything you describe above, and I wish he was still a Sabre, but he's not Mark Messier.

Again, I agree with all of that ... I think the Sabres got exactly what was expected out of him, as are the Rangers. The originla start of the thread, to me, was "Why isn't Drury carrying the Rangers to the Cup?!?!" my point was, he was never that guy. He's everything you describe above, and I wish he was still a Sabre, but he's not Mark Messier.

I agree, and I don't think it's fair to expect him to carry the team to the Cup, especially not in his first year, and especially not if Shanny and Jagr couldn't do it, and they have a ton more Cup experience than Drury (and Gomez.) The problems with that franchise run deeper than adding a couple Cup vets to put them over the top.

I think they'll be a lot better after Jagr's gone.

I agree, and I don't think it's fair to expect him to carry the team to the Cup, especially not in his first year, and especially not if Shanny and Jagr couldn't do it, and they have a ton more Cup experience than Drury (and Gomez.) The problems with that franchise run deeper than adding a couple Cup vets to put them over the top.

I think they'll be a lot better after Jagr's gone.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with the Rangers next year. They are in jeopardy of losing quite a few key guys, all of whom are UFAs:

Jagr

Avery

Shanahan

Roszival

Straka

Malik

Mara

They are going to be building around Drury, Gomez, Lundy, Staal (who's looked really good to me in the playoffs), Dubinsky and Tyutin. A pretty good foundation, but the devil will be in what they put around that core.

LQ is still holding on to the hope that oil is going to go back down to 2005 levels, thus bringing down the Canadian dollar, thus bringing down the cap. Of course with oil going over $120 per barrel and some OPEC members predicting $200, Larry hasn't brought that up since the presser.

Not arguing with your post, Tom ... just longing for the days when the price of oil was not a factor in hockey discussions ... oh, to debate Barrasso vs. Puppa again ....

I was a Barrasso guy.

Me too. And RPI sucks.

me three - but damn it if puppa's stunner against the oilers wasn't one of the greatest friday nights (?) of my life to that point in time (okay, ever). i believe i was a high school frosh at the time - i watched with a gang of friends, and we were stocked to the gills with doritos and rc cola.

me three - but damn it if puppa's stunner against the oilers wasn't one of the greatest friday nights (?) of my life to that point in time (okay, ever). i believe i was a high school frosh at the time - i watched with a gang of friends, and we were stocked to the gills with doritos and rc cola.

YES! I swear that is one of those "I'll never forget where I was ..." moments ... which might explain why I was single until age 35 ....

we were stocked to the gills with doritos and rc cola.

YES! I swear that is one of those "I'll never forget where I was ..." moments ... which might explain why I was single until age 35 ....

this was too much, pipes. very nice.

and in the interest of full disclosure, i admit that some of my above-referenced pals and i were also gathering with our doritos and rc cola circa 1985 ... to play d&d.

:ph34r:

i somehow managed to get married to a nice girl as well.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with the Rangers next year. They are in jeopardy of losing quite a few key guys, all of whom are UFAs:

Jagr

Avery

Shanahan

Roszival

Straka

Malik

Mara

They are going to be building around Drury, Gomez, Lundy, Staal (who's looked really good to me in the playoffs), Dubinsky and Tyutin. A pretty good foundation, but the devil will be in what they put around that core.

That's true.

On a side note - I should also point out that while people were drawing comparisons between Miller and Lundqvist for Miller's upcoming contract negotiations (or more accurately, saying that Miller is nowhere near as good as Lundqvist) barring a miracle this will be the second year in a row that Lundy's team is bounced in the second round, and he hasn't been good at all this round. He's allowed 11 goals on 74 shots (giving up 5, 1 and 5 in the first three games of the series) for an .851 SV% and a 3.77 GAA. Game 3 he gave up 5 goals on all of 17 shots. Yikes.

I'm not sayin' anything, I'm just sayin'....

That's true.

On a side note - I should also point out that while people were drawing comparisons between Miller and Lundqvist for Miller's upcoming contract negotiations (or more accurately, saying that Miller is nowhere near as good as Lundqvist) barring a miracle this will be the second year in a row that Lundy's team is bounced in the second round, and he hasn't been good at all this round. He's allowed 11 goals on 74 shots (giving up 5, 1 and 5 in the first three games of the series) for an .851 SV% and a 3.77 GAA. Game 3 he gave up 5 goals on all of 17 shots. Yikes.

I'm not sayin' anything, I'm just sayin'....

100% correct. He didn't set the world on fire vs the Sabres in the 2nd round last year either.

And, if one wanted to be ornery, one might point out that the Rangers spent about $90 million on free agents last summer and will end up going no further than they did last year (and probably winning fewer playoff games to boot).

And, if one wanted to be ornery, one might point out that the Rangers spent about $90 million on free agents last summer and will end up going no further than they did last year (and probably winning fewer playoff games to boot).

that's what I'm saying that's for sure....

I'm surprised that no one mentioned the 3 goal lead the Rangers blew earlier in the series. From what I understand, Chris prevented those sorts of meltdowns...

Generally I agree with your point. But in all fairness, Drury was on the ice for only one goal against in that meltdown, and that was the GWG when Pitt had a 6-on-4. Quite a few veterans were guilty of letting that meltdown happen - Avery, Shanahan, Gomez, Jagr and Tyutin were each on the ice for two goals against after the Rags opened that 3-0 lead.

Archived