Stafford, Bernier or Paille?

bob_sauve28

I'm happy these three kids our on the team and think they all could be impact players. Which one will be the best?

I'm banking on Stafford. Though I like the other two, I think Stafford can be a great player.

It's great to have young players on the team with great potential!

Bernier, I really think he will breakout huge next year.

Paille second because of his all around assets.

Stafford has only had a flash here or there for me.

Wow, Stafford really impresses me. He seems to me to have the best natural talent of the three. Didn't show it this year though....

Wow, Stafford really impresses me. He seems to me to have the best natural talent of the three. Didn't show it this year though....

Besides a couple goals last year, especially the Kolzig one, he has done nothing for me. rare special teams, invisible this year. sorry.

I'll admit and have admitted that Paille surprised me this year. That being said, I can't see anyway that he has the top end potential of the other two. No guarantee on either, of course, just believe their plateau is higher.

I'll admit and have admitted that Paille surprised me this year. That being said, I can't see anyway that he has the top end potential of the other two. No guarantee on either, of course, just believe their plateau is higher.

give us your 1-2-3 webster, dont tiptoe around it. <_<

I think of the three, Bernier has the best shot at being the most dominant. Stafford disappeared this year after a decent first year and maybe that is as good as it gets with him. I could see him having a less productive this year over last, but he was downright MIA on numerous nights. Paille for some reason just doesn't seem like he is ever going to be more than a 3rd or 4th line guy.

I like Paille but he seemed to be really streaky this year. Alot of his goals were scored in bunches of 3 or 4 games here and there. That being said I think he has the ability to be a Hecht type player. A solid two way player who can contribute 20-25 goals a season. Both Stafford and Bernier I think have the ability to be big time players and I think Ruff has the ability to drag that out of them next season.

I was also. He came up to the next level and showed some skill. I hope he still has some more on the upside, like being more consistant. He's young, so I imagine he still will improve.

Stafford battled through injuries this season.

All three kids prove the Sabres have a bright future. Along with Sekera and Weber? I can't wait to see what this team looks like on opening night next season.

Not to mention Roy, Vanek, Pommer and Hecht, all of whom should be here for awhile and yes, there is a great core of players here.

Pass the Kool-Aid to Ink Man!

It depends on what we're talking about. If we are talking offensively, then I'd rank it as potentially:

1. Bernier

2. Stafford

3. Paille

However, that's really not a slight on Paille. I could very easily see Paille becoming a Selke trophy winner if he plays hard, checks hard, and plays well defensively. For Paille to get there, he will have to become a Mike Fisher type of player who scores about 20 a season and is the go-to guy on the PK and to shutdown other team's top lines. I think Paille could be that guy.

I think Bernier because of his size and shot and his ability to work very hard in the corners could bust out and become a true power forward for this team. I could see him scoring maybe 30 goals in a season within the next 2-3.

What I want to see out of Stafford is to be a consistent 25-30 goal scorer, kind of like Dumont. If Stafford could turn into Dumont, Paille becomes a Selke candidate, and Bernier becomes a legitimate power forward this team will be very good. I think we are just missing a second line centerman who can provide leadership and this team is back in the playoffs. Throw in a PP QB like JM Liles and this team is a serious contender again in my opinion.

Not to mention Roy, Vanek, Pommer and Hecht, all of whom should be here for awhile and yes, there is a great core of players here.

Pass the Kool-Aid to Ink Man!

Thank you sir may I have another sip........ ;)

Stafford, bernier, paille assuming Bernier get's the training this off season X mentions.....

It's a different type of potential though. They're different players. Paille has the potential to be a Jere Lehtonen type player, which I would absolutely love to have on this team. Bernier has the Todd Bertuzzi in his prime (sorry, can't think of another legit power forward in recent years) potential. I'm really not sure where Stafford falls though. Sure, one type of player is going to get more attention than the other, but they each have their own value.

Good thread. Interesting question. I think I will pass for now on the who's-going-to-be-the-best-ultimately question in favor of who's going to have a better year next year. My prediction on that one is:

1. Paille

2. Stafford

3. Bernier

Stafford has by far the most upside of the 3 from an offensive standpoint, but was a disappointment this year. I would rank Bernier second and Paille 3rd. That being said, Paille may end up having the longest career as a Sabre of the 3. He is a solid two way player, has show he can score, can kill penalties and even be physical at times.

Offensively

Stafford - More Offensively skilled than Physical(albeit still physical)... Would love to see him on a more permanent basis with Vanek and Roy. Possible 30 Goal scorer

Bernier - More Physical than Offensively Skilled... See him plateauing at the 20 - 25 goal range

Paille - Solid 2 way player in the mold of Hecht only a bit slower and a bit more physical.

Overall

Stafford - Was shuffled too much on a crowded right wing. He never seemed to have the opportunity to gel with any line, hopefully a few subtractions (Max, and possibly Kotalik) will open up some room for Staff to get some line consistency

Paille - I already see him as a defensive stalwart on this team he's good on the PK and I think could be C or an A if buffalo ever actually ... you know... chose 3 people and sticks with them.

Bernier - Another RW in a crowded right side, would love him to be a permanent winger with Goose and Paille on a Banger Line don't think he'll be a huge scorer 20 - 25 in a full season

My favorite game of this year by far.

bernier

In terms of both stature and play, does Bernier seem a little soft to you guys for a guy his size?

Hopefully he'll hit the weight room and hopefully Lindy will be able to light a fire, but sometimes it seems like Bernier is either unable or unwilling to pay the price to make the play.

I hope that's just my left field perception and that he'll be better next season as he feels more a part of the team...

In terms of both stature and play, does Bernier seem a little soft to you guys for a guy his size?

Hopefully he'll hit the weight room and hopefully Lindy will be able to light a fire, but sometimes it seems like Bernier is either unable or unwilling to pay the price to make the play.

I hope that's just my left field perception and that he'll be better next season as he feels more a part of the team...

I've seen a lot of mucking and grinding from Bernier since the trade so I'm not concerned about his physical play. In the ~15 games since he came over I saw much more physical play from him than I saw in the previous 60+ games from Kotalik, so I'm OK with his play thus far. Hitting the weight room and treadmill/bike wouldn't hurt, though...

The area that he has struggled in (to my untrained eye) seemed to be in knowing the system and being in the right place at the right time, and that's something that will get corrected after a full training camp.

He'll mix it up. I really like that part, and it looks like he enjoys driving to net. He just runs out of gas. I think it is more an endurance/stamina issue.

It looks like he loses his legs about 30-35 seconds into a shift and then you hold your breath until he gets back to the bench.

Actually what surprised me about him is the quick release on the shot.

Archived