GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

inkman

Espn preview

Montreal at Buffalo

Preview Conversation 7:30 PM ET, March 28, 2008

HSBC Arena, Buffalo, New York

Canadiens-Sabres Preview

The Northeast Division-leading Montreal Canadiens reached their goal of qualifying for the playoffs earlier than expected. Now, they can focus on trying to win a division title for the first time in 15 seasons while claiming their first conference crown since 1989.

The Canadiens get a chance to reclaim the top spot in the Eastern Conference on Friday night when they open a three-game road trip against the Buffalo Sabres.

Montreal (43-24-10), the top team in the Northeast by four points over Ottawa, is a point behind East-leading Pittsburgh, which beat the New York Islanders 3-1 on Wednesday. However, the Canadiens have five games remaining, while the Atlantic Division-leading Penguins have four.

The Canadiens moved atop the conference with a 7-5 win over the Senators on Monday, as Andrei Kostitsyn scored two of the Habs' three first-period goals. That victory secured Montreal's second trip to the playoffs in three seasons.

"It gives us some time to get ready for the playoffs and obviously we have games still left and we want to finish first," Canadiens captain Saku Koivu said. "That's our goal now, but it's kind of a derivative from preparation when you know that you're going to be there than a lot of years before where we played to the last game and still didn't know if we were going to make it or not."

The Canadiens haven't won a division since taking the Adams Division title in 1991-92. Their last conference championship came when the East was known as the Wales Conference.

They hope to get closer to equaling those feats by matching their season-high, four-game winning streak.

Montreal's trip takes it to last-place Toronto on Saturday before visiting Ottawa Tuesday. The Canadiens, who lead the East with 50 road points, close the regular season at home against Buffalo (36-30-11) on April 3 and the Maple Leafs two nights later.

Alex Kovalev, who has two goals and three assists in the last three games, has been a big part of the Canadiens' success away from home. He has five goals and 11 assists in helping Montreal go 6-2-0 in its last eight road games.

Kovalev is also getting help from Tomas Plekanec, who has six goals and three assists in his last six games as the visitor.

That span includes Plekanec's first career hat trick and a four-assist performance from Kovalev in a 6-2 win at Buffalo on Feb. 29, as the Canadiens tied the season series at three wins apiece.

The Sabres are 10th in the East, five points behind idle Boston for the eighth and final playoff spot. Two of their final five games are against the Bruins, including the regular-season finale on April 5.

They kept pace with Boston on Thursday when Paul Gaustad scored with 1:26 left in regulation before Derek Roy netted the decisive shootout goal, giving Buffalo a 4-3 win over Ottawa shortly after Boston beat Toronto 4-2. The Sabres' victory salvaged a split of a home-and-home set after they fell 6-3 at home to the Senators on Tuesday.

"I thought we deserved to win it from start to finish," Sabres coach Lindy Ruff said. "We didn't give up a lot, we did a pretty good job against their top line, and I think when you work that hard and put the work in -- we got rewarded."

Thomas Vanek has been solid of late, getting four goals and an assist in the last three games. He has three goals and four assists in the six matchups against Montreal, with five of those points coming at home.

Probably be relegated to listening to this one... Who knows.. Stranger things have happened. NYI got in on the last day of the season last year...

Be nice if the Devils could win outright tonight against the Flyers... Somebody has to stumble if this is going to happen...

Plain and simple, stay out of the penalty box. This team is absolutely lethal on the PP, and we gave up a PP Hat trick to Plekanec the last time we played them. Do not take any unnecessary penalties as these guys will kill us. People say we've struggled against the Habs, but correct me if I'm wrong, the series is tied 3-3 this year. Admittedly, the Habs were trying to find themselves earlier in the year when we got those 3 wins and now are a completely different team, but I still think the Habs are beatable. It's going to take an effort like last night where we work hard, keep throwing pucks at the net, and hope for some breaks to go our way. BUT DO NOT TAKE A PENALTY!!!!! Discipline, discipline, discipline tonight boys.

As already stated earlier; HUGE game, STAY out of the Penalty Box this team will kill you, they are well rested waiting for us like the last time we got creamed, no margin for error, tired bodies for sabres(3rd game in 4 nights), Impossible odds for success.....

I like our chances.....Note to Hockey gods"Montreals due for a let down".... Please..

Comeon Bflo ya can't lose nothing when ya play like ya got nothing to lose, now just get'r done :angry: and prove your not rolling over for anyone and keep earning your fans respect and loyalty.... Go Bflo ..

Plain and simple, stay out of the penalty box. This team is absolutely lethal on the PP, and we gave up a PP Hat trick to Plekanec the last time we played them. Do not take any unnecessary penalties as these guys will kill us. People say we've struggled against the Habs, but correct me if I'm wrong, the series is tied 3-3 this year. Admittedly, the Habs were trying to find themselves earlier in the year when we got those 3 wins and now are a completely different team, but I still think the Habs are beatable. It's going to take an effort like last night where we work hard, keep throwing pucks at the net, and hope for some breaks to go our way. BUT DO NOT TAKE A PENALTY!!!!! Discipline, discipline, discipline tonight boys.

That cannot be stressed enough:

Stay out of the penalty box.

If we take stupid penalties, it's going to take a Herculean effort from the PKers and Miller to win this game, and I don't think they have it in them. They HAVE to stay out of the box to even have a shot tonight.

carry over momentum when it counts the most. buffalo 4 montreal 0. I'm the first to call for a TBO shutout!

As much as Ryan's been overworked and seems to be wilting down the stretch, I don't think Lindy's back could handle the stress of carrying around the big brass ones necessary to play a frozen-solid goalie who has seen all of 18 minutes ice time over the last month.

Thomas Vanek has been solid of late, getting four goals and an assist in the last three games. He has three goals and four assists in the six matchups against Montreal, with five of those points coming at home.

This part of the preview bothers me, because it's just worded poorly and is a little lazy. True, he is 4-1-5 in his last three games. He's also a -3 (he was only +1 on his hat trick night) and was pretty much invisible last night. In reality the Tampa game salvaged his entire month (at least to date.)

-------------

For those interested, here are some of our scorers' March numbers...

March Stats:

Roy - 12 GP, 6-12-18, E, 8 PIM

Pommer - 12 GP, 8-10-18, +8, 2 PIM

Hecht - 9 GP, 5-6-11, +1, 4 PIM

Max - 12 GP, 3-6-9, -4, 12 PIM

Stafford - 11 GP, 2-7-9, E, 14 PIM

Vanek - 12 GP, 5-1-6, -12, 12 PIM

Paille - 11 GP, 4-1-5, +4, 2 PIM

Bernier - 10 GP, 0-5-5, -1, 2 PIM

Kotalik - 12 GP, 3-1-4, -5, 8 PIM

Mental Tougness

You have to wonder if Miller and the rest of the team are thinking about that Friday night loss at home to the Habs a few weeks ago. They just shelled us that night and they were scoring early and often. the Sabres have proven that they have a problem holding the lead; but, i think tonight that the first goal could be more important than usual based upon how Montreal has handled us this year.

After 1 win last night, I'm not getting excited again. If we win tonight, then my excitement will return.

If we make the playoffs, then mine will return.

No bandwagon stuff here, but truthfully it's been too much of a rollercoaster ride for me to invest anything emotionally in the Sabres the rest of the year.

I'll accept that we miss the playoffs and will be back with renewed confidence in the team next year, but for me to get worked up over anything for the rest of the year, they'll need to make the post-season.

If we make the playoffs, then mine will return.

No bandwagon stuff here, but truthfully it's been too much of a rollercoaster ride for me to invest anything emotionally in the Sabres the rest of the year.

I'll accept that we miss the playoffs and will be back with renewed confidence in the team next year, but for me to get worked up over anything for the rest of the year, they'll need to make the post-season.

It's pretty much my assessment as well. If they win tonight, I'll be more interested but I still think we will finish 9th or 10th.

For good and bad, there are a lot of differences in our lineup for tonight vs. our last game against Montreal.

Good:

Hecht in (big for PK)

Sekera in

Weber in

Kalinin out

Bad:

Spacek out

Connolly out

Losing Spacek hurts, but getting Hecht back is huge against their awesome PP. Also, trading Spacek and Kalinin for Sekera and Weber is ... a wash? Spacek is good, but Kalinin is bad.

You should make a big "SabreSpace still believes!" sign to support the team and so we know it's you on the TV.

I'm in the intro they put on the scoreboard at the Arena before the players come out. Try and find me!

I'll secretly write 'Sabrespace believes' on my bare naked chest and expose myself after each Sabre goal. :blush:

I'll secretly write 'Sabrespace believes' on my bare naked chest and expose myself after each Sabre goal. :blush:

I'm pretty sure you just guaranteed we get shutout tonight... :unsure:

Archived