Vanek and Stafford

bob_sauve28

You know, it's certainly possible. Remember last year, Vanek was a healthy scratch for most of the playoffs. He was awful in the games he played in during the playoffs. I guess because it was his rookie year, he felt the pressure. But, I think this year, his production has kept him in, and he needs to relax. He got 2 goals last night, but really should have gotten 4 with the scoring chances he had. You're right, for some reason he's been getting a ton of scoring chances over the last few games, but for some reason they aren't going in for him like they have been all season long. I don't think it's Stafford making him nervous, but maybe he's putting too much pressure on himself to produce with all of the injuries and he might be squeezing the stick a little. Not sure.

You know, it's certainly possible. Remember last year, Vanek was a healthy scratch for most of the playoffs. He was awful in the games he played in during the playoffs. I guess because it was his rookie year, he felt the pressure. But, I think this year, his production has kept him in, and he needs to relax. He got 2 goals last night, but really should have gotten 4 with the scoring chances he had. You're right, for some reason he's been getting a ton of scoring chances over the last few games, but for some reason they aren't going in for him like they have been all season long. I don't think it's Stafford making him nervous, but maybe he's putting too much pressure on himself to produce with all of the injuries and he might be squeezing the stick a little. Not sure.

And to follow up. I wonder if they kept Stafford in the minors longer because of what happened to Vanek last year, how he wilted towrds playoff time. Was the plan to keep Drew downm and bring him up ready for the playoffs? Or was it just the injuries, I dunno, just a thought

I don't think it's Stafford making him nervous, but maybe he's putting too much pressure on himself to produce with all of the injuries and he might be squeezing the stick a little. Not sure.

Agreed. He's putting to much pressure on himself. I'm glad he got two last night. That'll open the floodgates!

And to follow up. I wonder if they kept Stafford in the minors longer because of what happened to Vanek last year, how he wilted towards playoff time. Was the plan to keep Drew down and bring him up ready for the playoffs? Or was it just the injuries, I dunno, just a thought

You have to remember, last year at this time, Stafford was playing for North Dakota. This is his FIRST year of PRO hockey.

Vanek is a beast and he just wants to score, he isn't worried about anyone taking his spot, lol, I really think he has proven himself to be a much better all round player in his second year.

On a side note, Stafford looks awesome, he will help lesson the pain of losing either Drury or Briere.......... :beer:

hes definetely on a "streak", he still is producing but he's gotten a lot of chances lately that for him should be gimme goals, just fumbling them. I don't see how its anything to worry about though, all players go through these things. As for keeping stafford down for the playoffs, he wasn't very high on the depth chart until recently when he showed us what he can do. Before he was behind novotny, and paille; now...who knows.

I know lorentz has been talking abou Vanek being on a cold streak, i dont know what the hell he is talking about. He has a 4 game point streak. He has 5 goals and 3 assists in that time frame and has been playing great hockey in my eyes.

Lorentz gets hung up on things and won't let go. I have heard him babbling for 3 games now about how Vanek just can't put the puck in the net. On previous occasions, he would repeatedly point out how Kotalik is not shooting the puck on the PP, but would not criticize any other player for doing the same thing.

TV is currently;

8th in the league in goals, 34.

Top 25 in points.

1st in plus/minus for forwards, by a lot.

And he's worried about Stafford taking his spot? No.

Stafford is quality, yeah, but if Vanek is worried Ruff is not doing his job well and / or Vanek needs to visit the world's best sports pyschologist or some combination of the two.

I think his competitiveness is in part fueling this team. Next year he'll be wearing an "A".

And he's worried about Stafford taking his spot? No.

I didn't mean that. I meant it in the sense that Vanik is the top "kid" on the team and means to stay there. I thought it seemed to be like Stafford presented a competivive challange to him. No big deal, just thought I'd throw out my theory

I hope Vanek continues to be anxious. He has nine goals in 10 games!

I think you guys have looked too far into this......

I think it is plain and simple....Thomas Vanek is becoming a LEADER on this team. He is stepping up his game and putting more on his shoulders. He realizes like everyone else that with all of the injuries on this time, he has to make up a lot of the slack.

This guys is becoming a SUPERSTAR right in front of our eyes! Not only is he scoring goals, but he is making the players around him better (Stafford especially) as well. You are not watching a guy that is pressing the issue, but rather the birth of a LEADER on this team for many years to come.

I think you guys have looked too far into this......

I think it is plain and simple....Thomas Vanek is becoming a LEADER on this team. He is stepping up his game and putting more on his shoulders. He realizes like everyone else that with all of the injuries on this time, he has to make up a lot of the slack.

This guys is becoming a SUPERSTAR right in front of our eyes! Not only is he scoring goals, but he is making the players around him better (Stafford especially) as well. You are not watching a guy that is pressing the issue, but rather the birth of a LEADER on this team for many years to come.

And its fun to watch! :thumbsup:

I think Vanek has been putting presure on himself ever since he missed that penalty shot a few games ago. He's whiffed and missed on some shots ever since, and last he's felt "off." Last night you could see how relieved he was when he thought he got the tip on Teppo's PP goal.

That said, it's nothing like the epic slumps Satan would go on, nothing at all.

I think Vanek is just pressing cause of all the injuries to the team. He knows it is up to him to pick up the slack and I think it causes him to miss some chances he normally buries.

That being said I gotta say if his production during this "cold streak" is his norm for a cold streak. Then he might be a 100 point a season man soon enough

regardless of what he has scored in the last 10, TV knows he could have 20 with the scoring chances he has had lately. Whether you get on the stat sheet or not - nobody likes to miss those golden opportunities.

I'm convinced it's the new Vanek jersey I just bought... Wore it the first night i got it and he scored 2 goals. Didn't wear it the next couple of games and he was cold. Wore it last night and he got another 2 goals. Needless to say i'm wearing it every game for the rest of the season. :lol:

I'm convinced it's the new Vanek jersey I just bought... Wore it the first night i got it and he scored 2 goals. Didn't wear it the next couple of games and he was cold. Wore it last night and he got another 2 goals. Needless to say i'm wearing it every game for the rest of the season. :lol:

BL37 -

Slugdor = Instant Classic

I hate you. And you know why. :beer:

Does Vanek seem a little threatened by Stafford. They play very similar games and Vanek has been playing overanxchious since that kid came in the line up. Lots of chances but he seems a bit anxious lately, like Stafford is going to be the "New kid on the block" or something.

Well, what Lorentz was saying during the broadcast against Montreal after he scored the first one certainly would support that...apparently Vanek was seen on the bench breathing a sigh of relief, looking up, and saying "Finally" to himself...

Sounds like he felt like he was mired in a slump and was probably pressing pretty hard...

The 6-1 game against Toronto I thought he looked like he had rocket launchers attached to his skates---I have never seen him skate as fast as he did that night...looked like a bigger Afinigenov out there...

Archived