Sabres vs. Senators (02/04)

Swedesessed

Didnt see or listen to the game, and the write up on cbssporstline was short.

i Did notice we outshot them 15-8 in the third, too bad we couldnt put it away. BUt a nice W nontheless, particulary in light of our play against them this seaosn.

Lookks like peters knocked the bejesus out of mccracken.

We are DAMN GOOD! Go Sabres.

Well, right now i think we can all classify the eastern conference like this:

1) Carolina

2) Buffalo

2a) ottawa

3-16) everyone else

my point is, buffalo is beginning to show signs that they are in a class all of their own. We have the canes next weekend (i'm going to be there live!!) and a home and home warmup against the canadiens this week, the sabres can become #1 on paper as well as in everyone's minds. Yes, we beat the sens and got a 3 point game out of it. More importantly though, we struck fear into the senators tonight. Far more important than the actual victory.

As for the game:

1) Miller played outstanding. He showed confidence in the crease, played the puck nicely behind the net, and didn't fold in the shootout. His one goal was a mental gaffe, which is troublesome. As a goalie though, you rely on your defensemen to help you out when the puck goes behind the net. They obviously didn't.

2) Dumont looked lost on most of his shifts. I had him penciled in for giving up a play that turned out to be a goal. Good thing it didn't happen.

3) Peters F---ed up his sparing partner.

4) The Hasek factor. As i mentioned above, the sabres struck fear into the senators. The worst case scenerio for hasek and the sens was to lose in a shootout. Gives good old flaky Dom something to think about later.

5) Saturday night victory over a canadian team=respect, or at least a temporary hold on the non-respect.

I'm very excited for this team. The olympic break is fast approaching and connolly, briere, and kalinin will all be healthy. That's scary.

great game....I am so fuggin pumped for this team.....Peters beat that guy like a rented mule and we skated with the best team in hockey (in my opinion).....the Senators were scared to go head to head with us...that was obvious from the drop of the puck based on how many chances they took.....look out Eastern conference.....Sabres on the warpath...oh..ah...Sabres on the warpath..oh...ah!!!!!!!

Corp, you're getting a bit ahead of yourself with that comment.  This was an evenly matched game that ended in a shootout.  Neither team stood out tonight.

I'm overestimating the shootout victory over hasek because i've been a fan of dominik hasek since he came to the sabres and i know him as a hockey player. There's a 99.9% chance that hasek will outplay you and outwit you. There's also a 0.1% chance that you'll beat him. If you hit that 0.1%, its all over though. Hasek's achillies heal is his psyche, and mid march is a long time to think about vanek.

If the sabres can beat the weekday games of montreal 2x and florida, and find a way to beat the canes, you have to consider them to be the best team in hockey.

If the sabres can beat the weekday games of montreal 2x and florida, and find a way to beat the canes, you have to consider them to be the best team in hockey.

The best team in the east, maybe. It'd be tough to justify saying they're better than either Calgary or Vancouver.

The best team in the east, maybe. It'd be tough to justify saying they're better than either Calgary or Vancouver.

ok ok, shrader 1, corp 0....

i'm just getting excited because the sabres have not been this good at this point in the regular season in like 10 years or something.

ok ok, shrader 1, corp 0....

i'm just getting excited because the sabres have not been this good at this point in the regular season in like 10 years or something.

I'm excited too, but I think a lot of people are getting ahead of themselves right now. There's a lot of hockey left to be played and there's still the trade deadline. Teams are going to look very different than they do right now.

PA, did Vanek do the move where he circles his stick around the puck and then shoots? I didn't see any replay and it's too quick to see on the live broadcast. I remember him doing that move earlier in the year, but he rang to puck off the post that time.

I'm excited too, but I think a lot of people are getting ahead of themselves right now. There's a lot of hockey left to be played and there's still the trade deadline. Teams are going to look very different than they do right now.

PA, did Vanek do the move where he circles his stick around the puck and then shoots? I didn't see any replay and it's too quick to see on the live broadcast. I remember him doing that move earlier in the year, but he rang to puck off the post that time.

TSN's coverage includes a video replay - (use bugmenot.com for a login if you don't have one)...

But to answer your question, yep that's the move Vanek made, and the video slows it down enough...

Heard from a few friends that went to the game that it was absolutely crazy during the shootout. Loved the victory, even if it was a shootout. Going into it I totally thought they'd have the advantage in the shootout because of all the goal scorer's they got. Miller negated that. Great goal by Vanek!

How bout that move by Vanek in the shootout?! It's called "Around the World," AKA "The Move" from Seinfeld. :) That kid is something special.

Didn't there used to be a rule that you had to keep the puck infront of you? When I saw the move, for some reason I thought it was illegal.

Anyway.

I'm glad it was Vanek who scored. Much like the effect a game like this can have on Miller. Scoring a huge goal like that can really bolster the development of Vanek. Each game he seems to be getting more and more confident.

What a day it was yesterday.

Bruins - Habs

Rangers - Flyers

Sabres - Sens

I finally knonked out during the first period of the Canucks and Oilers. Alot of hockey, beer and wings. I have nothing left for the 'Less Then Super Sunday'.

TSN's coverage includes a video replay - (use bugmenot.com for a login if you don't have one)...

But to answer your question, yep that's the move Vanek made, and the video slows it down enough...

Decided to finally register =)

You can get full video highlights at http://www.nhl.com/scores/index.html. The "individual goal" section doesn't show the shootout, but the full reel does.

-Who says the shootout is boring? I was standing up in my living room during the whole thing. Crowd sounded like they were really into it.

-That was one of the worst OT's I have ever seen. It's almost like both teams wanted it to go to a shootout.

-Hasek is still the man and played like a 30 year old, not a 40+ something goalie.

-I thought Ottawa's best player last night was Schaefer. The guy was hitting everything in sight the entire game.

-What can you say about Vanek and that shot....WOW!

-The Sabres really shut down Alfredsson, Heatley and Spezza. I'd love for the Sabres to give it a shot and try to skate with Ottawa, but if playing this style gets us two points, all the more power to Lindy.

-Gaustad showed last night why you want players like him on your team come playoff time. He was hitting, had a couple of chances and you could just tell that he raised the level of his play up a notch.

GO SABRES!!!!!!

Didn't there used to be a rule that you had to keep the puck infront of you? When I saw the move, for some reason I thought it was illegal.

Technically, the puck has to continuously move toward the net but there is nothing in the rules that says the puck must be in front of the shooter.

After the Malik shootout winner earlier this year, there was a rumor that the rule will be modified to allow for a player to pull the puck back as long as he is moving toward the net. Although the move Malik made was cool (pulling the puck back through his legs and then wristing the shot over the goalie), it was probably technically illegal as the puck probably travelled back toward center ice when the puck was pulled back between his legs. I have not heard whether the change was put in place for the rest of this season or whether it will be implemented next year.

The other rule regarding the shootout that they need to fix is technically you can not ask for a measurement on an illegal stick during a shootout because there is no remedy available during the shootout if an illegal stick is used.

Actually unless they modified the rule from a penalty shot. The players has to continuely move forward. The puck can move backwards. As you watch players stick handle it would be illegal to stick handle as moving the puck from left to right can occasionally move backwards.

You would have to double check but i am sure as you may have seen in the skills comp. A player can shoot the puck and as long as he is moving forward in a continous motion he can re-shoot the puck. But hey don't trust what I know.