Sabres vs. Senators (02/04)

Swedesessed

Technically, the puck has to continuously move toward the net but there is nothing in the rules that says the puck must be in front of the shooter.

After the Malik shootout winner earlier this year, there was a rumor that the rule will be modified to allow for a player to pull the puck back as long as he is moving toward the net. Although the move Malik made was cool (pulling the puck back through his legs and then wristing the shot over the goalie), it was probably technically illegal as the puck probably travelled back toward center ice when the puck was pulled back between his legs. I have not heard whether the change was put in place for the rest of this season or whether it will be implemented next year.

The other rule regarding the shootout that they need to fix is technically you can not ask for a measurement on an illegal stick during a shootout because there is no remedy available during the shootout if an illegal stick is used.

Thanks Dave. Before this season penalty shots were so rare I never fully understood the rule.

have the sabres actually made someone other than me not think two sh--s about the super bowl in anticipation for tuesday's game? Seriously, its super bowl sunday and i just can't wait for montreal. Try explaining that to the land of nascar, where i live.

haha for me its the exact opposite... try explaining your anticipation for Daytona 500 in february when hockey is in full swing and they olympics are about to start... to each there own i suppose.

Actually unless they modified the rule from a  penalty shot.  The players has to continuely move forward.  The puck can move backwards.  As you watch players stick handle it would be illegal to stick handle as moving the puck from left to right can occasionally move backwards.

You would have to double check but i am sure as you may have seen in the skills comp.  A player can shoot the puck and as long as he is moving forward  in a continous motion he can re-shoot the puck.  But hey don't trust what I know.

Todd,

Actually, until sometime in the last 3 years a player could go wherever he wanted, however he wanted, UNTIL he crossed the attacking blueline. At that point in time the PUCK would have to move continually toward the opposing goal line. Now the rule is such that the PUCK must continually move toward the opposing goal line regardless of it being in the neutral or attacking zones. There is NOTHING in the rule that says the PLAYER must move continually toward the opposing goal line.

Also, as far as I can tell, since the penalty shot was introduced in '34-'35, the attacking player has NEVER been able to score on a rebound.

While I don't agree with your rules interpretations, I will admit they are entertaining. B-) Here's the actual rule currently in use.

Rule 30a.  Any infraction of the rules which calls for a "PENALTY SHOT" shall be taken as follows:

The Referee shall ask to have announced over the public address system the name of the player designated by him or selected by the Team entitled to take the shot (as appropriate). He shall then place the puck on the center face-off spot and the player taking the shot will, on the instruction of the Referee, play the puck from there and shall attempt to score on the goalkeeper. The puck must be kept in motion towards the opponent's goal line and once it is shot, the play shall be considered complete. No goal can be scored on a rebound of any kind (an exception being the puck off the goal post, then the goalkeeper and then directly into the goal), and any time the puck crosses the goal line, the shot shall be considered complete.

Only a player designated as a goalkeeper or alternate goalkeeper may defend against the penalty shot.

Todd,

Actually, until sometime in the last 3 years a player could go wherever he wanted, however he wanted, UNTIL he crossed the attacking blueline. At that point in time the PUCK would have to move continually toward the opposing goal line. Now the rule is such that the PUCK must continually move toward the opposing goal line regardless of it being in the neutral or attacking zones. There is NOTHING in the rule that says the PLAYER must move continually toward the opposing goal line.

Also, as far as I can tell, since the penalty shot was introduced in '34-'35, the attacking player has NEVER been able to score on a rebound.

While I don't agree with your rules interpretations, I will admit they are entertaining. B-) Here's the actual rule currently in use.

Yep, can't score on a rebound, remember all the controversey about when Roenick did earlier in the year? I think they allow video replay on shootouts now because of it.

I am pretty sure that is a rule that has changed in the past 5 years. I have seen Mario shoot a rebound in an all-star skills competition and score.

Well for starters there hasn't been an NHL All Star Skills Competition since 2004. But if you don't believe Dave's quotation of the rule...Look for yourself:

http://www.nhl.com/rules/rule30.html

I am pretty sure that is a rule that has changed in the past 5 years.  I have seen Mario shoot a rebound in an all-star skills competition and score.

It is not a rules change from the previous 5 years.

The All-Star Game Skills Competition is not what I would choose as my first source for rules interpretations.