Buffalo Sabres = Leagues softest team

inkman

I know this is going to rub some people the wrong way but it's been on my mind for a while now. Last nights game only emphasized what we already knew. Let's start from the Briere hit. I wonder if Ovechkin would have put Danny's face into the boards if we had a real tough guy on the ice. Mair and Gaustad are nice, but I want a guy that really strikes the fear of God into players. Peters may be in that category, but more on that later. Speaking of Gaustad, what he did was respectable but I felt Ovechkin got off easy. I wanted three guys jumping him swing sticks, elbows and fists. All we got was one guy punching him twice.

Why is Peters on this team? Last night was THE reason to have him on the team. The next even strength shift, he's out there running Zednik or whoever there best remaining player is. We know the league isn't going to get it right, so lets make sure it gets taken care of.

I know the Sabres were trying to get back into the game, but I think some things are more important than wins and losses. It's called pride. I thought the team came out barely inspired after the hit. Part of that reason was our "tough guys" were either thrown out of the game or sitting on the bench. The rest of the team acted like nothing had happened. How many teams would have reacted like the Sabres did after that hit? Off the top of my head, I can't think of any. Our Sabres layed down and let the bully stand over them and taunt them. I was disgusted and frankly, I respect our team a little less at this point. I know some of you will champion Buffalo for taking the high road, but I can only think of what message this sends the rest of the league.

I'll tell you what message it sends, Buffalo Sabres = Leagues softest team.

So you would feel better if Peters left the bench and caved in AO's face with his stick? That would make it all better?

I don't think the Sabres took the "high road" or turned the other cheek. They tried to respond and got two guys kicked out of the game for it.

I guess I just disagree that AO actually thought to himself ... "Maybe I'll hit Briere, but I might get jumped ... wait, this is Buffalo, the softest team in the league ... on second thought, I WILL hit him from behind!"

The game has changed. It would hurt them FAR more in the long run to have "real tough guys" around just in case someone takes a cheap shot 3 or 4 times a year.

I'm glad inkman said it, because I would get killed for saying it. :) Maybe a bit overstated, but I can't disagree. It's no secret actually. Now it's just a matter of finding out if it's a fatal flaw in the "new" NHL. The Flyers tried to run us out of the building in the playoffs and we just rubbed their noses in it.

Besides Kotalik, the guy I was pissed at was Hecht. After the Briere assault, someone went by Biron and tripped him and got a penalty. No horrendous crime, but the Sabres should have been in NO mood for contact on their goalie. Yet Hecht just half-engaged the perpetrator as they drifted toward center. I think he was asking him to dance, and I don't mean fight. JHC, just slug the guy in the face.

God bless Max!

So you would feel better if Peters left the bench and caved in AO's face with his stick?

Yes.

Because now every team in the league that can't skate with the Sabres (which is most teams) knows it can run our star players head first into the boards and get away with it.

The Sabres' response to Ovechkin nearly breaking Briere's neck was embarassing.

Brad on the WGR post game show was wondering if Briere took a dive. After all, he was on the ice for his very next shift.

Yeah, he took a dive headfirst into the wall and knocked his own helmet off. Okay, Brad.

Sometimes players get the crap knocked out of them and, after they clear the cobwebs, are okay to play right away. See, e.g., Roethlisberger and Pennington last Sunday. It doesn't make the hit any less dirty. That play was this close to being a Leroux-LaFontaine travesty that could have ended Danny's career.

And the worst of it was Ovechkin pleading his case in the box, saying "He fell! Look at the replay!"

I wonder if Ovechkin will be man enough to show up for the rematch or if he'll pull a Kasparaitis.

Yes.

Because now every team in the league that can't skate with the Sabres (which is most teams) knows it can run our star players head first into the boards and get away with it.

How do you figure? Gaustad went right after Ovechkin and landed a couple of punches before the refs raced to OV's aid. Mair went after Muir and won that fight.

Would you prefer we stopped trying to score, gooned it up for the last two periods, lost a couple more players (including possible suspensions), and lost 9-1 instead of giving ourselves a chance to get a point in the final two minutes after being down 5-1?

Yes.

agreed... i only saw a brief hi-light but any remaining talent on washington should have been limping off the ice in some way shape or form after that hit... one day ovechkin will get drilled while cutting in to center ice and he'll find out what its like... he'll never take a cheapshot again...

So you would feel better if Peters left the bench and caved in AO's face with his stick? That would make it all better?

I would have enjoyed it but it's probably not the best solution.

I don't think the Sabres took the "high road" or turned the other cheek. They tried to respond and got two guys kicked out of the game for it.

The execution of the response was most discouraging. Gaustad went after him, but I wanted someone to really go after him.

I guess I just disagree that AO actually thought to himself ... "Maybe I'll hit Briere, but I might get jumped ... wait, this is Buffalo, the softest team in the league ... on second thought, I WILL hit him from behind!"

Hockey players are human. If Ovechkin was playing against Philly, Toronto or most any other team, the overall attitude of him and his team would have been different. When the possibility of getting your face caved looms large, your attitude shifts a little bit. Nobody fears any player on the Sabres and the one who could possibly fill that role has a 3 inch leash firmly planted in Lindy's hand.

The game has changed. It would hurt them FAR more in the long run to have "real tough guys" around just in case someone takes a cheap shot 3 or 4 times a year.

Have a team full of Thugs, see Philly, is not the way to win in the NHL, version 2007. Having actual hockey players, that are a little scary to the other team is a benefit. Toronto has Tucker, Peca and Belak and Gill. Ottawa has Neil, McGratton, and Phillips. Carolina has Cole, Commodore, Adams Adams and Larose. Buffalo has Peters, Gaustad and Mair. Guys who either don't play enough or don't scare anyone.

I think the organization underestimated the losses of Grier, Dumont and Mckee. While these guys aren't heavyweights, they were all gritty and more than willing to deal out a face wash, elbow or slash. Maybe a trade losing some of the finesse and bringing in a bit of toughness would be in order. I love this team, and this is why I'm concerned. I think they need a bit of grit. Teams are playing the Sabres more physical every game and the Sabres don't seem to have an answer. Yes, they have a great record. I hope they keep it up but I'm wondering if they are going to experience a bit of a lull.

Would you prefer we stopped trying to score, gooned it up for the last two periods, lost a couple more players (including possible suspensions), and lost 9-1 instead of giving ourselves a chance to get a point in the final two minutes after being down 5-1?

Yes. :)

Yeah, pretty much. I'd rather let the rest of the league know they can't take liberties with our star players. Especially now that Ovechkin won't even be suspended.

The Sabres were playing half-assed last night anyway. The least they could do is kick some ass after one of the Caps tries to break a guy's neck.

Well, Peters definitely isn't a softie...

He has had at least 2 or 3 fights that have had to be stopped against other teams "tough guys" after he has caved their noses in with a flurry of punches. McGratton for Ottawa I remember and there was another one earlier this season where the fight had to be stopped cause he really hurt the guy...

Peters is not a player too many are looking to tangle with on the ice...

This is not a team built to beat the snot of other teams like we used to be with Ray, May, Barnaby, etc

This is a team based on the "you can't hit what you can't catch" mantra and it seems to be working pretty good so far with the new rules...

To add to this, a point which came up last night was the way the instigator penalty is enforced. If I remember correctly, if Gaustad or Mair get another instigator penalty, they will have a three game suspension. This makes it even tougher on our "gritty" guys.

As long as the refereeing remains intact during the playoffs, I think the Sabres will be fine. If indeed teams do try and rough them up in their own end, it's up to Ruff to figure out how to use our team speed to burn the other team.

What was a bit more disturbing is the trend of teams trapping the Sabres between the bluelines and the Sabres not being able to burst through it and capitalize on their team speed.

I know this is going to rub some people the wrong way but it's been on my mind for a while now. Last nights game only emphasized what we already knew. Let's start from the Briere hit. I wonder if Ovechkin would have put Danny's face into the boards if we had a real tough guy on the ice. Mair and Gaustad are nice, but I want a guy that really strikes the fear of God into players. Peters may be in that category, but more on that later. Speaking of Gaustad, what he did was respectable but I felt Ovechkin got off easy. I wanted three guys jumping him swing sticks, elbows and fists. All we got was one guy punching him twice.

Why is Peters on this team? Last night was THE reason to have him on the team. The next even strength shift, he's out there running Zednik or whoever there best remaining player is. We know the league isn't going to get it right, so lets make sure it gets taken care of.

I know the Sabres were trying to get back into the game, but I think some things are more important than wins and losses. It's called pride. I thought the team came out barely inspired after the hit. Part of that reason was our "tough guys" were either thrown out of the game or sitting on the bench. The rest of the team acted like nothing had happened. How many teams would have reacted like the Sabres did after that hit? Off the top of my head, I can't think of any. Our Sabres layed down and let the bully stand over them and taunt them. I was disgusted and frankly, I respect our team a little less at this point. I know some of you will champion Buffalo for taking the high road, but I can only think of what message this sends the rest of the league.

I'll tell you what message it sends, Buffalo Sabres = Leagues softest team.

This is one of the stupidest things I have ever read. Gaustad responded instantly and so did Mair. What do you want, another Brashear incident where someone is convulsing on the ice because of a face caving, as you so eloquently put it?

I was outraged at that cheap shot by Ovechkin and I am just happy that Briere is okay (not for purely selfish reasons of the Sabres success on the ice, but the fact that he has a family and is a quality guy)

If anything, lose respect for Ovechkin, not the Sabres. As we all know, this team is built for speed and quickness, and that is not going to include too many fighters. Our team responded how they could.

Yes, you did rub me the wrong way.

I think the organization underestimated the losses of Grier, Dumont and Mckee. While these guys aren't heavyweights, they were all gritty and more than willing to deal out a face wash, elbow or slash. Maybe a trade losing some of the finesse and bringing in a bit of toughness would be in order. I love this team, and this is why I'm concerned. I think they need a bit of grit. Teams are playing the Sabres more physical every game and the Sabres don't seem to have an answer. Yes, they have a great record. I hope they keep it up but I'm wondering if they are going to experience a bit of a lull.

Yes. :)

There is a bit too much of "the sky is falling" in this thread, IMHO. I can think of exactly one game this year (3 weeks ago vs. Carolina) when I thought we were out-hit. We won that one 7-4 btw. Since then, we've played:

Ottawa

Pitt

Ottawa

Tampa

Toronto

Habs

Rangers

Rangers

Caps

Do you think we were pushed around in any of those games? We played crappy both games vs. the Senators, but we didn't lose b/c of not hitting. Just b/c one 2nd-year player takes one cheap shot at one of our guys doesn't mean we got out-hit in that game, and it certainly doesn't mean we are getting pushed around on a regular basis.

I was actually quite proud to see Gaustad and Mair immediately hold AO and the rest of the Caps accountable for that cheap shot. It made me start to believe what a number of people have said on this board already -- that he is future captain material. Now, if that hadn't happened -- ie if we'd just meekly turned the other cheek -- I'd be as PO'd as anyone here. but there was an immediate, forceful response. I think anyone who saw that game would conclude that if he took a cheap shot at Briere, Vanek, Max, etc., he would find himself in a fight immediately.

Would a "face caved in" incident, as some are advocating, have been better? Would it really deter the next cheap shot? Or would it rather encourage it, ie make teams try to push our buttons and get us out of our game? I don't think a Bertuzzi assault would have done any good. As Vancouver found out, anything resulting in a big suspension would probably have been more destructive than beneficial.

As far as the related sentiment that's been expressed on this board -- ie that we're too soft, so we get physically punished too much, resulting in all of the injuries -- I'd point out that Edmonton, whom a lot of people were saying was the most physical team in the league last year, just lost its captain (Smyth) to a worse injury than anything we've suffered (broken thumb -- probably 3+ months). They've also lost one of their leading scorers (Hemsky) for a few weeks with a hurt shoulder. Are they soft now too?

Bottom line is that injuries happen. Some players are more prone than others (remember Rob Johnson?), and no one should kid himself about that. But we haven't lost anyone for the season, or even half the season, and we're starting to get our guys back.

Do we need more grit? We caught a few cheap shots last year too, notwithstanding the presence of Grier, Dumont and McKee (of those 3 I thought only Grier was a policeman anyway). This happened both in the regular season and in the 1st round vs. the Flyers. We left the Flyers in the dust and then ran their GM and coach right out their jobs (yeah, baby).

A trade for more grit this year? It's possible, but I don't see us trading any of the forwards on our roster for a guy like Grier. IF Connolly doesn't come back this year, then we'd have some cap room, so maybe we trade a draft pick for a veteran forward with grit. But which current forward would you trade? Not Gaustad, Mair or Peters, if the idea is more grit. There's no way Darcy is going to trade Stafford or Paille. There's also no way Briere, Drury, Max, Vanek or Hecht is getting traded. That leaves Kotalik, Roy, Pominville and Novotny. I'd be amazed if any of those 4 was traded for a guy like Grier.

OK, I've gone on long enough. But don't abandon ship just yet. This is a tough, resilient group of guys. They were challenged last night and they responded. Best of all, Briere wasn't seriously hurt. The caps are going to get smoked the next time we play them, and we'll probably put a hurting on Tampa on tues. night.

There is a bit too much of "the sky is falling" in this thread, IMHO. I can think of exactly one game this year (3 weeks ago vs. Carolina) when I thought we were out-hit. We won that one 7-4 btw. Since then, we've played:

Ottawa

Pitt

Ottawa

Tampa

Toronto

Habs

Rangers

Rangers

Caps

Do you think we were pushed around in any of those games? We played crappy both games vs. the Senators, but we didn't lose b/c of not hitting. Just b/c one 2nd-year player takes one cheap shot at one of our guys doesn't mean we got out-hit in that game, and it certainly doesn't mean we are getting pushed around on a regular basis.

I was actually quite proud to see Gaustad and Mair immediately hold AO and the rest of the Caps accountable for that cheap shot. It made me start to believe what a number of people have said on this board already -- that he is future captain material. Now, if that hadn't happened -- ie if we'd just meekly turned the other cheek -- I'd be as PO'd as anyone here. but there was an immediate, forceful response. I think anyone who saw that game would conclude that if he took a cheap shot at Briere, Vanek, Max, etc., he would find himself in a fight immediately.

Would a "face caved in" incident, as some are advocating, have been better? Would it really deter the next cheap shot? Or would it rather encourage it, ie make teams try to push our buttons and get us out of our game? I don't think a Bertuzzi assault would have done any good. As Vancouver found out, anything resulting in a big suspension would probably have been more destructive than beneficial.

As far as the related sentiment that's been expressed on this board -- ie that we're too soft, so we get physically punished too much, resulting in all of the injuries -- I'd point out that Edmonton, whom a lot of people were saying was the most physical team in the league last year, just lost its captain (Smyth) to a worse injury than anything we've suffered (broken thumb -- probably 3+ months). They've also lost one of their leading scorers (Hemsky) for a few weeks with a hurt shoulder. Are they soft now too?

Bottom line is that injuries happen. Some players are more prone than others (remember Rob Johnson?), and no one should kid himself about that. But we haven't lost anyone for the season, or even half the season, and we're starting to get our guys back.

Do we need more grit? We caught a few cheap shots last year too, notwithstanding the presence of Grier, Dumont and McKee (of those 3 I thought only Grier was a policeman anyway). This happened both in the regular season and in the 1st round vs. the Flyers. We left the Flyers in the dust and then ran their GM and coach right out their jobs (yeah, baby).

A trade for more grit this year? It's possible, but I don't see us trading any of the forwards on our roster for a guy like Grier. IF Connolly doesn't come back this year, then we'd have some cap room, so maybe we trade a draft pick for a veteran forward with grit. But which current forward would you trade? Not Gaustad, Mair or Peters, if the idea is more grit. There's no way Darcy is going to trade Stafford or Paille. There's also no way Briere, Drury, Max, Vanek or Hecht is getting traded. That leaves Kotalik, Roy, Pominville and Novotny. I'd be amazed if any of those 4 was traded for a guy like Grier.

OK, I've gone on long enough. But don't abandon ship just yet. This is a tough, resilient group of guys. They were challenged last night and they responded. Best of all, Briere wasn't seriously hurt. The caps are going to get smoked the next time we play them, and we'll probably put a hurting on Tampa on tues. night.

At least someone can use reason in analyzing this Sabres team. All that is said above is true and people just need to get real. There WAS a forceful response by our bigger guys and we aren't constantly out hit.

Ottawa

Pitt

Ottawa

Tampa

Toronto

Habs

Rangers

Rangers

Caps

Well said.

Well said.

I agree!

Yeah, pretty much. I'd rather let the rest of the league know they can't take liberties with our star players. Especially now that Ovechkin won't even be suspended.

The Sabres were playing half-assed last night anyway. The least they could do is kick some ass after one of the Caps tries to break a guy's neck.

May I suggest you tune into WWF? And should the Sabres on the ice at the time looked into their crystal balls and saw the Oveshkin wasn't going to get suspened? It was still a close game and the Sabres should have used that penalty to score a few goals.

The Zednick tripping Biron was the most harmless penalty I have ever seen. He was in no way trying to trip him.

People, let's get a grip here

Buffalo Sabres = Leagues softest team

I disagree. I like Gaustad, Mair, Peters, and hell, even Max got into a fight. I can see Staford and Paille easily drop the gloves too. Just stay solid in net, i'm telling you. It will take them all the way. Screw all the other crap.

I'm not talking about fighting, but any team that wants to be really physical in the Sabres end of the ice is going to cause them fits come playoff time.

I totally agree. I've said for a while that the Sabres need a tough, physical defenseman at least as a 7th to put in there and play solid hockey. Somebody like a Brendan Witt would have been nice (I know we are against the cap so there was no way). Personally, I have never been a Kalinin fan and I wouldn't mind seeing him get shipped out if we can get a solid, stay at home defenseman who plays tough. I was watching the Rangers-Islanders game tonight and believe me those Rangers forwards knew they were in for a rough time in the Islanders' zone when Witt was on the ice. Not trying to turn this into a "let's make a trade" thread but I think we are soft on defense

And should the Sabres on the ice at the time looked into their crystal balls and saw the Oveshkin wasn't going to get suspened?

I posted in several threads that he wouldn't get suspended. I'm no genius or hockey guru but I know the league well enough to know that HE wasn't going to get suspended. If a schlub like me can figure this out, so can the Sabres. I appreciated what most of the guys on the ice did after the hit but it was the rest of the game that bothered me. It literally looked as if nothing happened. I didn't see as increase in intensity or hitting. If that had happened I doubt I would have even created this thread. This team lost a chunk of what little grit had they last year and it could come back to bite them. Initially, I wasn't concerned about this at all, because I know the talent runs deep. Unfortunately, it's all finesse without much else.

This is one of the stupidest things I have ever read.

Then you need to read more. :nana:

I totally agree. I've said for a while that the Sabres need a tough, physical defenseman at least as a 7th to put in there and play solid hockey. Somebody like a Brendan Witt would have been nice (I know we are against the cap so there was no way). Personally, I have never been a Kalinin fan and I wouldn't mind seeing him get shipped out if we can get a solid, stay at home defenseman who plays tough. I was watching the Rangers-Islanders game tonight and believe me those Rangers forwards knew they were in for a rough time in the Islanders' zone when Witt was on the ice. Not trying to turn this into a "let's make a trade" thread but I think we are soft on defense

Not a chance. That is both my opinion of the relative merits of Kalinin vs. Witt as well as my assessment of the likelihood of trading Kalinin (or any of our top 7 defensemen).

As for the Islanders, we did spank them 3-0 last time we played them.

I posted in several threads that he wouldn't get suspended. I'm no genius or hockey guru but I know the league well enough to know that HE wasn't going to get suspended. If a schlub like me can figure this out, so can the Sabres. I appreciated what most of the guys on the ice did after the hit but it was the rest of the game that bothered me. It literally looked as if nothing happened. I didn't see as increase in intensity or hitting. If that had happened I doubt I would have even created this thread. This team lost a chunk of what little grit had they last year and it could come back to bite them. Initially, I wasn't concerned about this at all, because I know the talent runs deep. Unfortunately, it's all finesse without much else.

We will have to agree to disagree on this. I think this team has a tremendous amount of heart. Gutless teams don't come back to win multiple times when they're down by 2 or 3 goals.

As for lack of intensity following the cheap shot -- I think their intensity was focused on trying to come back and win the game, not on getting payback for the cheap shot. I thought we played hard and played well even though we spent most of the game down 3 goals -- all the way until the empty-netter. If the goaltending had been a little stronger we probably would've gotten there.

I agree with you that no one should've been expecting AO to get suspended given his stature and the NHL's lame enforcement record.

Archived