Buffalo Sabres = Leagues softest team

inkman

Agreed, but neither will the shooutout style we play, unless the D gets it act at least somewhat together.

They've been atrocious lately, and yes I know Tallinder is out. Getting him back won't magically make the remaining 5 play solid, sorry.

Kalinin's on my shi. list. He's been playing terrible lately. Back to his old self. I wonder what this team sees in him.

If you want to hit 'em, you gotta CATCH 'EM first! Speed first!

PTR

That's funny. Teams don't seem to have trouble catching us to lay a hit, even a dirty one. Kaspar on Connolly. Tucker on Hecht. Ovechkin on Briere. Tallinder twice when he broke his arm. Novotny. Should I continue?

That's funny. Teams don't seem to have trouble catching us to lay a hit, even a dirty one. Kaspar on Connolly. Tucker on Hecht. Ovechkin on Briere. Tallinder twice when he broke his arm. Novotny. Should I continue?

Well I'll take our bunch of "softies" anytime. As long as the "new" NHL stays that way.

PTR

Would you prefer we stopped trying to score, gooned it up for the last two periods, lost a couple more players (including possible suspensions), and lost 9-1 instead of giving ourselves a chance to get a point in the final two minutes after being down 5-1?

I wanted a stick to come up on Ovechkin and end his season, if not his career.

But that's just me.

That's what should have happened. A head-shot for a head-shot.

If you want to hit 'em, you gotta CATCH 'EM first! Speed first!

PTR

Teams sure haven't had a problem establishing a fore-check against the Sabres as of late. IMO it's miraculous they're still winning. The first 10 minutes of last night's game were Atrocious. It seemed like the ice was slanted toward Miller.

I have to be honest, reading through some of these over-the-top replies, I thought I had either wandered over to the Filly Fans message board, or some of their posters had hacked some of our posters' accounts. I am all for clean retribution and getting AO back for hitting Danny the way he did, but I was generally OK with the response, and I can't believe I am saying this, but I partly agree with Laviolette - I don't want to see someone like Mair, Kotalik, Vanek Roy, Drury lost for an appreciable amount of time because they got injured trying to get back at AO...

Well I'll take our bunch of "softies" anytime. As long as the "new" NHL stays that way.

PTR

I don't think the new NHL is being called as strictly as it was last year. I can't tell you how many times I've yelled at the TV for a hook. It's starting to slow things down again.

You're not the only one to notice the refs have gotten back to lax officiating...I think we all expected that the penalty enforcement would swing back the other way; I guess we are just lucky that the stricter enforcement lasted as long as it did...

I don't think the new NHL is being called as strictly as it was last year. I can't tell you how many times I've yelled at the TV for a hook. It's starting to slow things down again.

What I seem to notice is they are continuing to call stick fouls - slashing and hooking.

But have not been calling as much of the holding and interference. It is harder to go to

the net than last year, but they have been consistent with the slashing, hooking, and crosschecking.

While I agree that the refs have stoppe calling a lot of the smaller interference and holdings, I still feel that it's a lot better than "The Old NHL".

Back in the Day, there's no way Briere would've gotten that hattrick the other night, as he would simply had been wiped out once he parked himself near the net.

Refs are becoming more inconistant but it's a long season, this game is still for the speedy and the skilled player, and just like in the old nhl, where they were very inconistant in the regular season and then awful in the playoffs, i think the farther we go, they will call more of the penalties.

Refs are becoming more inconistant but it's a long season, this game is still for the speedy and the skilled player, and just like in the old nhl, where they were very inconistant in the regular season and then awful in the playoffs, i think the farther we go, they will call more of the penalties.

"Awful" pretty much sums up what I thought of the playoffs last year.

The series against Ottawa was especially crap, old time NHL all the way, clutch-and-grab, interference all over the place.

I particularly enjoyed Neil two-fisting McKee straight in the face, when coming in over the blueline, a good 3-4 seconds after the whistle blew for offside - No penalty.

Turned out to be Koharski's last game of the playoffs, and by god if I had my way, it would've been the last game of his career.

Same goes for Kerry Fraser and Van Massenhoven.

As a matter of fact, IMHO we can't get rid of these dinosaur refs soon enough, as they're the ones messing things up.

Then the tables turned against The DivingCanes, where EVERYTHING appeared to be called, except the unimportant stuff such as elbowing and boarding, of course.

Interesting responses here, lots of passion which I love!

Nathan generally has been a decent defenseman for us and it appears that the coaching staff are happy with him - I find it very, very doubtful that we'll be making a move for a defenseman any time soon.

As for how 'hard' our team is, I've been saying this for years - we backcheck and forecheck like wimps and we haven't really had a true physical presence for a long time. Ultimately the Sabres aren't afraid or intimidated by people playing a more physical style and are willing to return the favor if needed, but playing physically generally isn't in our game plan.

I just wish that we were stronger on the checking front - its not asking too much, is it? Lindy was on WGR Tuesday and they straight up asked him if they talk about retaliation if one of their players gets ran at... Lindy said that its unspoken and they have an understanding that they have to stick up for each other. I was generally pleased with Gaustad and Mair's responses and so was Lindy. As long as teams understand that we aren't pushovers I think that is enough for the 'new' NHL.

first off the instigator penalty has alot of flaws in it no way Mair or Goose should have a 3 game suspinion for there next one. Second and maybe I just miss the old days of Ray dukeing it out and May knocking ppl out but Peters is not a feared nor a great fighter he is average at best and a hanger on at worst. Don't get me wrong i Like Peters I think he is starting to improve his skateing and puck skills alot and becoming a better player, but I doubt other teams are afraid of his fighting prowness

Archived