Buffalo Sabres = Leagues softest team

inkman

The Zednick tripping Biron was the most harmless penalty I have ever seen. He was in no way trying to trip him.

That's not the point. The point inkman is trying to make is how the team responded after the Ovechkin hit. Perception is reality, and the perception should have been that they just ran Marty. Hecht was upset and "engaged" Zednik, he just couldn't be bothered to get himself dirty. Screw the power play at that point. Screw the win. There was a statement to be made, and beyond Mair, Gaustad and Afinogenov, no one made it.

It's probably just a regular season storyline that no one remembers come playoff time. Let's hope so.

We will have to agree to disagree on this. I think this team has a tremendous amount of heart. Gutless teams don't come back to win multiple times when they're down by 2 or 3 goals.

They have character, which can be included in the "heart" category. I just wanted more of a physical response. Some people were satisfied with the Gaustad/Mair scraps. I guess growing up going to Amerks games with nightly bench clearing brawls has tainted my view a wee bit. :chris:

I don't know what they showed on TV, but Mair beat the living crap out of someone after the Briere hit. That didn't look soft - he was a badass out there...

Sure he did but it wasn't Ovechkin, who got off easy, in every respect.

It's probably just a regular season storyline that no one remembers come playoff time. Let's hope so.

Of course it will be, for it to continue into the playoffs, Washington would have to make it.

As for Ovechkin, if someone did that same hit to him, they'd be looking at a instant suspension because he is one of the new NHL poster children with Crosby. Its like Gretzky, he could have shot someone on the ice and the refs would just look the other way, but lay a finger on him and your off the ice for a few days.

I agree with inkman too, there is not much physicality to our game away from Mair, Gaustad and Peters, and if most people had it their way, it would be even less without Peters. Teams will learn ways to counteract Buffalos speed, and it looks like being physical is one way and its costing us with injuries to key players.

I agree with inkman too, there is not much physicality to our game away from Mair, Gaustad and Peters, and if most people had it their way, it would be even less without Peters. Teams will learn ways to counteract Buffalos speed, and it looks like being physical is one way and its costing us with injuries to key players.

I know rumors have circulated about Phoenix and Biron. In some dream scenario maybe a package of Marty, Ales, and a prospect for some combo of Scatchard or Doan with Morris/Ballard/Boyton. Any two of them would do just nice.

I'm glad inkman said it, because I would get killed for saying it. :) Maybe a bit overstated, but I can't disagree. It's no secret actually. Now it's just a matter of finding out if it's a fatal flaw in the "new" NHL. The Flyers tried to run us out of the building in the playoffs and we just rubbed their noses in it.

Besides Kotalik, the guy I was pissed at was Hecht. After the Briere assault, someone went by Biron and tripped him and got a penalty. No horrendous crime, but the Sabres should have been in NO mood for contact on their goalie. Yet Hecht just half-engaged the perpetrator as they drifted toward center. I think he was asking him to dance, and I don't mean fight. JHC, just slug the guy in the face.

God bless Max!

Kotalik's response was pathetic! He raised hands as if he was a football referee indicating the field goal attempt was "good". No one questions Gaustad, Mair, Peters, and even Max's toughness, however someome like Kotalik (who is getting a free ride this season) should step-up and contribute in any way possible...including getting your nose bloody. He should have been the first guy to go after AO since it happened right in front of him. That's the difference between somebody who is naturally tough vs. a wimp. Someone like Gaustad has a natural reaction like..."I'm going to break your nose!" vs. Kotalik's "Oh Mr. Referee...did you see that?"

Kotalik is not exactly built like a fragile little boy...it would do him some good to develop a mean streak since he has been doing little else lately.

I know rumors have circulated about Phoenix and Biron. In some dream scenario maybe a package of Marty, Ales, and a prospect for some combo of Scatchard or Doan with Morris/Ballard/Boyton. Any two of them would do just nice.

The only problem is any deal made will have to get us what we need, and dump salary at the same time because of the cap issues (I am not sure what cap issues would arise from your proposed deal though) and it may cost us a skiled player to gain something that will help us in another area. Also I don't know how much Phoenix would be interested in a goalie now that they made the deal with the leafs, and Gretzky's willingness to keep Cujo the starter. Also any deal for Biron would require a goalie coming back to replace him.

Another question since I didn't have a chance to watch the game, Was Peters Dressed for the game?

The only problem is any deal made will have to get us what we need, and dump salary at the same time because of the cap issues (I am not sure what cap issues would arise from your proposed deal though) and it may cost us a skiled player to gain something that will help us in another area. Also I don't know how much Phoenix would be interested in a goalie now that they made the deal with the leafs, and Gretzky's willingness to keep Cujo the starter. Also any deal for Biron would require a goalie coming back to replace him.

I hate the idea of giving away young players, prospects- whatever you want to call them - as much as anyone, but if you have an area of your organization that is pretty deep with prospects, then you have to use some of that depth to shore up areas of need. Obviously the trick is to make sure you aren't giving away more than you're getting in return; you don't want to give away a future star to get a no. 7 defenseman (unless it is a move that guarantees Lord Stanley is the guest of honor at a parade through downtown Buffalo in June 2007, that is. :thumbsup:)

Another question since I didn't have a chance to watch the game, Was Peters Dressed for the game?

Peters WAS dressed, and tallied an impressive 29 seconds of ice time. The game situation and Lindy kept him on an incredibly short leash that night, and I think that as mad as Lindy was, he didn't want the game to get out of hand and ruin any shot they had of coming back.

Here's the difference-

Our soft style vs. the hard hitting approach of the Caps might get us some bruises and bumps in the regular season game that means 2 points but in the playoffs, in a 7 game series, with a healthier team and Miller being able to stop a beach ball, Washington would get lucky to win 2 games. I'd give them one.

Philly last year came out playing hard and hitting hard and thats how they wanted to slow us down, it took us 6 games to knock them off with 2 blow outs.

This is the new NHL guys, Caps style won't do jack for them in the playoffs. Sorry.

This is the new NHL guys, Caps style won't do jack for them in the playoffs. Sorry.

Agreed, but neither will the shooutout style we play, unless the D gets it act at least somewhat together.

They've been atrocious lately, and yes I know Tallinder is out. Getting him back won't magically make the remaining 5 play solid, sorry.

I hate the idea of giving away young players, prospects- whatever you want to call them - as much as anyone, but if you have an area of your organization that is pretty deep with prospects, then you have to use some of that depth to shore up areas of need. Obviously the trick is to make sure you aren't giving away more than you're getting in return; you don't want to give away a future star to get a no. 7 defenseman (unless it is a move that guarantees Lord Stanley is the guest of honor at a parade through downtown Buffalo in June 2007, that is. :thumbsup:)

the Sabres have the prospects to spare, but dealing them won't help the current situation because they can't add more salary, thats why they would have to give a little to get a little less and open cap space

Agreed, but neither will the shooutout style we play, unless the D gets it act at least somewhat together.

They've been atrocious lately, and yes I know Tallinder is out. Getting him back won't magically make the remaining 5 play solid, sorry.

I agree with you, right now we're playing like a regular season team, like the Ottawa's of the past, but that doesn't translate well into the playoffs. Our style vs. Caps, we would kill them in the playoffs, however, if we play a Carolina or even a New Jersey, we might face many problems.

However, i think all will be fine because as we saw last year vs. Ottawa, we can play either game. Slow or fast. If our defense is healthy, we're in great shape.

Don't forget we played Washington without Spacek and Tallinder and Peatsch at D. We need more depth, sorry for being a hater, but i don't trust Peatsch still... and we're 1/3rd way into the season.

Don't forget we played Washington without Spacek and Tallinder and Peatsch at D. We need more depth, sorry for being a hater, but i don't trust Peatsch still... and we're 1/3rd way into the season.

Yup, D is till way too thin.

And the only way to shore up on D, is to deal a forward who isn't too expensive to unload, nor too cheap to give us some cap room, while still having some trade value.

This is where Kotalik comes in.

They have character, which can be included in the "heart" category. I just wanted more of a physical response. Some people were satisfied with the Gaustad/Mair scraps. I guess growing up going to Amerks games with nightly bench clearing brawls has tainted my view a wee bit. :chris:

Sure he did but it wasn't Ovechkin, who got off easy, in every respect.

Goose went after Ovechkin. He did about as much as he could before the refs intervened. I want someone to go after the offender and make him pay for it, but what more do you suggest? Something dirty? Really, I'm glad that I can say that most of the time our guys don't stoop to that. In the end I'd rather ours was the better and more sportsmanlike team. I liked the response of Goose and Mair, and that was enough for me.

Kotalik's response was pathetic! He raised hands as if he was a football referee indicating the field goal attempt was "good". No one questions Gaustad, Mair, Peters, and even Max's toughness, however someome like Kotalik (who is getting a free ride this season) should step-up and contribute in any way possible...including getting your nose bloody. He should have been the first guy to go after AO since it happened right in front of him. That's the difference between somebody who is naturally tough vs. a wimp. Someone like Gaustad has a natural reaction like..."I'm going to break your nose!" vs. Kotalik's "Oh Mr. Referee...did you see that?"

Kotalik is not exactly built like a fragile little boy...it would do him some good to develop a mean streak since he has been doing little else lately.

You are right in that Kotalik's first response wasn't to get payback but rather more like "hey, where's the penalty call?" I would greatly have preferred to see the same response out of him that Gaustad showed -- ie to charge in immediately. Having said that, I just watched the replay a bunch of times, and Kotalik was the 3rd Sabre into the fray, after Gaustad and Mair, and Kotalik did pair off and jostle a bit with Green, a 6-1, 208 lb defenseman. Not ideal but not pathetic either.

I agree with you, right now we're playing like a regular season team, like the Ottawa's of the past, but that doesn't translate well into the playoffs. Our style vs. Caps, we would kill them in the playoffs, however, if we play a Carolina or even a New Jersey, we might face many problems.

However, i think all will be fine because as we saw last year vs. Ottawa, we can play either game. Slow or fast. If our defense is healthy, we're in great shape.

Paetsch had a bad game, but he has also had some games where he looked like a seasoned vet. You could say the same of Miller but there's no rush to bench him, either. At #7 you can't ask for better than Paetsch has been doing. He has been a huge upgrade over Rory.

Paetsch had a bad game, but he has also had some games where he looked like a seasoned vet. You could say the same of Miller but there's no rush to bench him, either. At #7 you can't ask for better than Paetsch has been doing. He has been a huge upgrade over Rory.

I agree.

I don't see how it is possible to pick up another d-man without moving a d-man

off the team.

I think moving Paetsh would be a mistake - he's been getting better - I think he met

Mr. Ovechkin for the first time.

Maybe you move Kalinen - but if you move Kalinen you need somebody who skates at least as

well to fit into Buffalo's system, which is a tall order.

I don't see a move happening.

I agree.

I don't see how it is possible to pick up another d-man without moving a d-man

off the team.

I think moving Paetsh would be a mistake - he's been getting better - I think he met

Mr. Ovechkin for the first time.

Maybe you move Kalinen - but if you move Kalinen you need somebody who skates at least as

well to fit into Buffalo's system, which is a tall order.

I don't see a move happening.

I think you're right there, and I doubt they would carry 8 d-men.

Oh well, here's hoping Al gets that one-timer going again.

I don't really know about that. Nate has had many awful games and has looked lost many times in some of the games i would even consider a good game for him. When Tallinder first got hurt, then he was awful, but to his credit he stepped it up. But, then, he just stayed at the same level.

Overall i think Peatch is better then Rory last year, but when Rory was on top of his game, Paetsch has yet to hit that level.

My main problem is, i think Paetsch would be the perfect #8. Because, if he is #7 and something goes wrong, then whats our next option? Card? Funk? Sorry but i don't think ANY Sabres fan has trust in either of those guys for this season.... Sekera? The guy can't stay healthy as is, what makes anyone think he will be healthy to play in playoffs in NHL... and Mancari, yeah he's scoring, hitting hard and playing good defense, but just two months ago he was playing left wing so whos to say he won't get skated all over on in the NHL playoffs?

Regier needs to add depth on the blueline. I'm not a GM just a fan so i don't really know how or what he can do, but imo the best way is to make Paetsch a 8th and get someone for #7. And i obviously don't mean get a star player.

And if i had to pick a "wish list" guy, i'd go to Chicago and get Lasse Kukkonen. A 25 year old rookie, from Finland with lots of potential. Chicago is loaded on the blueline with talent as is (Barker, Keith, Seabrook and Vandermeer). Kukkonen would cost $600K and Teppo could mentor him. Remember the last time Teppo mentored a kid with potential...? Brian Campbell turned out real good....

Kukkonen plays for a defensive horrid Hawks, and still is +6, 8pts and can lay some hits and move with the puck.

So yeah, Kukkonen would be my choice, for Kotalik, stright up.

Kukkonen could then potentially turn into a top 4 d-men in the future for us and fill a void in the lineup once Teppo retires, and Kotalik could be a 35-40 goal scorer on their top line. Perfect fit IMO.

If Sabres trade with Phenoix, it will be for Nagy. A quick player, awesome in his own end, plays PK and a great passer who has a touch to put the puck away. The perfect Sabres player.... and he is a UFA after the year and would only be a rent-a-player since we'll have our hands tied with Vanek, Roy, Drury and Briere as is... we don't need to add players with long term deals, esspicially makes any kind of good money like Doan.

Boynton? He looks like a statue out there.

Pick one of the other 2 then. :nana:

If Sabres trade with Phenoix, it will be for Nagy. A quick player, awesome in his own end, plays PK and a great passer who has a touch to put the puck away. The perfect Sabres player....

...and a player they have 15 clones of in the organization. We need D and grit.

...and a player they have 15 clones of in the organization. We need D and grit.

I know, but i was responding to that quote of we will deal for a Doan and a d-men. So, the d-men comes with Nagy is what i am saying... and he's a Regier type player, who is UFA, makes perfect sense.

Archived