GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

Wow, way to steal another two points... They really need to take this week and recharge the batteries. They've been playing slow footed since the thrashers game last saturday. Don't know if they're not trying hard enough, don't know if other teams are catching up, don't know if they're just slowing down, but this team is out of sync. They need to reestablish their identity. Maybe with stafford and paille in for afinogenov and peters, they can become more physical? Paetsch looks good on some plays and totally lost on others. Lindy needs to work this team this week. Florida is 5 days away. I'll always take 0.500 for a back to back < 24 hour situation. Awesome that this team came back yet again, however, i'm becoming sick of it. Go ahead already. Awesome finish to the game, now take 5 days and figure your stuff out!

positives:

+danny briere has finally hit the net again. OT winners are always nice.

+pominville HAS gone from AHL material to All star material in front of our eyes. I say that in the past tense, because if the all star game were this weekend, he'd be on the top line.

+another steal victory. Say what you want, but if it comes down to 2 points in april, tonight (or boston, detroit, etc.) will come in handy. Barring a monumental collapse, this team will make the playoffs, but to put things in perspective, had this game been last year, erasing that 3-1 deficit tonight put game 7 in the HSBC arena... my how things might have been different. Every point counts.

+biron. Yeah, he made that giveaway, but he kept the score close when he had to. HE didn't win the game for the sabres, but he didn't lose it either. Solid

+vanek. he continues to grow into a complete hockey player.

negatives:

-Lydman... come on man. have you completely forgotten last year? step up your game, or you'll be riding the pine for paetsch when tallinder comes back. Merry Christmas Tony! shape up or ship out. Way too many giveaways, dumb penalties, etc.

-penalty taking/penalty killing. Tonight's penalties were a result of tired legs. However, you've gotta do a better job of penalty killing.

-NHL Schedule makers. 6 days off... 3 games in 4 nights... 5 days off... back to back games. Come on guys, get real... i'd much prefer 3 games per week spread out over the week, and not bunched together. your marquis team played like crap because of it. Oh well... a win is a win, no matter when it occurs or how it occurs.

negatives:

-Lydman... come on man. have you completely forgotten last year? step up your game, or you'll be riding the pine for paetsch when tallinder comes back. Merry Christmas Tony! shape up or ship out. Way too many giveaways, dumb penalties, etc.

-

I agreed with you on Lydman.. He has had a major gaff in every game. The kids are playing better than he is at the moment.

Campbell crushed Neiderlander in the crease. It was a decleater in the NFL... And no penalty.

Seemed like the Rangers played the whole second period on the powerplay. Amazing they didn't blow us off the ice.

GREAT WIN... Leafs played us so overwhelmingly that some doubt was creeping in. Add to that key injuries and another game within 16 hours and this seemed like a totally lost weekend.

Danny Briere showed up tonight.... Just like a Captain should.

:thumbsup: okidokee. 109 he hits the bricks. :lol:

lol, ya just get rid of the bum! :bag:

+pominville HAS gone from AHL material to All star material in front of our eyes. I say that in the past tense, because if the all star game were this weekend, he'd be on the top line.

+vanek. he continues to grow into a complete hockey player.

negatives:

-

Pominville is so fun to watch. I love his hustle and his skill. Hard to fathom he was on wavers last year!

I love Vanek, too. They are my two favorite players on this team right now. That goal he scored was so unbelievable.

And Lydman doesn't worry me. I'm sort of thinking that's just how he is. Remember last year in the playoffs he made a major f-up early but after that he played great throughout the playoffs.

I'm also glad they responded with a win tonight after a loss last night. That was important.

I played hockey tonight and we were down 4-1 and came back to win 5-4, lol, we are just like the Sabres :D

I missed the game last night. What happened? Sounds like they were never in it, which I didn't expect. I figured they'd lose a close one eventually.

Tonight's game was everything last night's wasn't. At even strength, the Sabres were better than the Rangers. We played in the penalty box most of the second. In fact, the second belonged to the Rangers; we were fortunate to get a goal when we went on the PP. Rangers went ahead 3-1. Sabres worked it back to 3-2 and tied it 3-3 in the third and won it late in OT...

Lots of players were bleeding tonight for both teams. Pucks and sticks in the face.

EDIT: Oh.. I just re-read it.. You meant the Leafs. They completely dominated us. They were physical and had countless odd man rushes. It was by far our worst game in a long time.

Tonight's game was everything last night's wasn't. At even strength, the Sabres were better than the Rangers. We played in the penalty box most of the second. In fact, the second belonged to the Rangers; we were fortunate to get a goal when we went on the PP. Rangers went ahead 3-1. Sabres worked it back to 3-2 and tied it 3-3 in the third and won it late in OT...

I think that this was the best game we've played (full stregnth only) since Philly. Penalties kept the Rangers in it tonight except for their one/two good lines late in the 3rd.

Good stuff tonight

You could tell from the opening face off they came to play today. The were hitting, fighting (and usually winning) the battles in the corners, and in general making things happen. The penalties were a little troublesome, mainly because they led to all three Ranger goals, but even strength they took it to them pretty good!

Yes he can. So can Paille and a bunch of other guys in the ROC. That's why I've been banging the anti-Peters drum all season. Stafford plays 12 minutes and Paille 11. 5 on 5 the Sabres were able to roll four lines. Takes away the Ranger power plays and the Sabres carried the play. I hope these guys stick with the big club. Novotny, Paille and Stafford are this years Roy, Pominville and Gaustad. :beer:

Only if he stays at the current pace. 111 pts would be worth the $5 million. 109? Run him out of town :nana:

Ruff has been playing 3 and a half lines this year, it and it looks like it has been by design. He seems perfectly happy with playing the 4th line to wear out teams in the first two periods, and going almost exclusively with the top 3 lines in the 3rd.

It's hard to argue with that plan, considering the Sabres lead the league in goals and points. So it was never a question of Stafford or Paille being better than Peters; that's a no-brainer. It's a question of the rookies being better than the top six wingers; because who do you sit to give them ice time in the 3rd? Even when Ruff has benched a top six winger, Gaustad has filled in well.

So, like Roy and Pominville last season, Paille and Stafford are getting big minutes in Rochester to start the year.

Now that Max is injured, the Sabres will probably need some goals from the 4th line, so bringing up both Stafford and Paille, and benching Peters makes sense. If and when the Sabres get healthy, however, I wouldn't be surprised to see the rookies back in Rochester and Peters back in the lineup.

I went to the game tonight...I had a lot of fun. Just some random thoughts.

Corp, I agree about Marty. He got the job done tonight. I think he'd really like to have the 2nd one back, but he also made some key saves at key times.

I thought Stafford and Paille looked great tonight. I was happy to be there to see Stafford's first NHL point.

Briere had the game we have been waiting for.

At the beginning of the game it really looked like the Rangers were not at the same level as the Sabres. The march to the penalty box kind of changed that. It wasn't as apparent late in the game, but I would have to imagine that the Sabres were pretty worn out at that point.

I went to the game tonight...I had a lot of fun. Just some random thoughts.

Corp, I agree about Marty. He got the job done tonight. I think he'd really like to have the 2nd one back, but he also made some key saves at key times.

I thought Stafford and Paille looked great tonight. I was happy to be there to see Stafford's first NHL point.

Briere had the game we have been waiting for.

At the beginning of the game it really looked like the Rangers were not at the same level as the Sabres. The march to the penalty box kind of changed that. It wasn't as apparent late in the game, but I would have to imagine that the Sabres were pretty worn out at that point.

Stafford looked REALLY good on the play with Briere that Weekes absolutely robbed...should've been his first goal.

Stafford looked REALLY good on the play with Briere that Weekes absolutely robbed...should've been his first goal.

Stafford did have a good debut, but on the play you are talking about, he never got his stick on the puck. It was deflected on goal by the Ranger defenseman.

According to my local Rag, aka the Baltimore Sun, Jagr appeared to have re-injured his shoulder last night. He was on the bench for more than a normal portion of the OT. He is playing it down.

Last three games have been brutual on the health of this team..

Hecht, puck to the face/teeth/mouth

Afinogenov out with a separated shoulder

Drury jammed finger

Paetsch puck to face/teeth/mouth

who'd I miss?

According to my local Rag, aka the Baltimore Sun, Jagr appeared to have re-injured his shoulder last night. He was on the bench for more than a normal portion of the OT. He is playing it down.

Drury jammed finger

who'd I miss?

You forgot to mention Peters whos ego must be bruised after that super-crappy fight he had against Belak on Saturday................ :thumbdown:

Labatt, thanks for jogging my memory on that save by Weekes. I kept wondering why nhl.com didn't have Stafford with a shot until overtime. Come to think of it, when the puck goes off a defenseman's stick, does the goalie get credit for a save?

Doc, good call. I'm not a big fight guy, so I don't know the etiquette, but what was with Peters turning his head away? Do you think that fight resulted in a benching?

hopeles, were you one of the chanting Sabre fans?

Labatt, thanks for jogging my memory on that save by Weekes. I kept wondering why nhl.com didn't have Stafford with a shot until overtime. Come to think of it, when the puck goes off a defenseman's stick, does the goalie get credit for a save?

Doc, good call. I'm not a big fight guy, so I don't know the etiquette, but what was with Peters turning his head away? Do you think that fight resulted in a benching?

-Good question, but I believe it still counts as a shot on goal even if the other team puts the puck on goal.

-As far as Peters and fighting goes, this is the new way of fighting. In the old days two guys would go toe to toe until one guy went down or they were both too tired to fight anymore. Now it is all about holding the other player at bay, spending 5 minutes in a boxing stance, turning your head away while the othe player pounds the back of your helmet or trying to wrestle the other guy to the ice. Go to hockeyfights.com and watch the previous days battles. More than 3/4 of them are a joke. I know I'll be in the minority here, but based on what now constitutes fighting, it should just be eliminated from the game.

I don't know if this has been noted or not, but the Elias Sports Bureau says we have the following record (taken from ESPN):

NHL

? One NHL game on Sunday, one NHL record set: The Sabres rallied from a 3-1 deficit to defeat the Rangers, 4-3, in overtime for their eighth victory in eight road games this season. Three other teams had won each of their first seven road games but failed to extend their streak to eight: the Maple Leafs in 1940, the Flyers in 1985, and the Red Wings in 2005.

-As far as Peters and fighting goes, this is the new way of fighting. In the old days two guys would go toe to toe until one guy went down or they were both too tired to fight anymore. Now it is all about holding the other player at bay, spending 5 minutes in a boxing stance, turning your head away while the othe player pounds the back of your helmet or trying to wrestle the other guy to the ice. Go to hockeyfights.com and watch the previous days battles. More than 3/4 of them are a joke. I know I'll be in the minority here, but based on what now constitutes fighting, it should just be eliminated from the game.

Labatt, there are still a few guys who will go toe-to-toe and just slug it out, but most of those guys learn pretty quickly that they won't be sticking around the NHL for very long if they take that kind of beating every time. I think I remember Razor or Barnaby talking about that in an interview a few years back.

I also think that's why you tend to see more of the fist-flying brawls in the minors and the developmental leagues - they are trying to catch someone's eye (no pun intended) to get their skate in the door in the NHL. Once there, they'll fight, but they don't want to jeopardize their career.

I did jump in on the lets go buffalo chant. But I was not there was a big group of Sabres fans on the other side of the arena that were collectively much louder than me :)

Drury jammed finger

who'd I miss?

There was a play late in the third where Jagr fell, and skated to the bench holding his shoulder.

If the impetus is from the attacking team, then yes, it would count as a shot on net. If the defensive team passes it back to the goalie, it would only count as a shot if it beats him.

E.g., say the left D sends the puck to the center in front of his own net and it bounces funny off the center's stick onto the goalie, that would not be a shot unless it beat the goalie. The last member of the attacking team to touch the puck would be credited with the goal and shot if it went in.

I did jump in on the lets go buffalo chant. But I was not there was a big group of Sabres fans on the other side of the arena that were collectively much louder than me :)

There was a play late in the third where Jagr fell, and skated to the bench holding his shoulder.

On TV they showed him on the bench after that and the shoulder was definitely bothering him.