The Heart of a Champion

matter2003

Uneblievable...

Truly was. They just came alive so fast. You have certain feelings with teams, like when I watch the Patriots play, they seem to always make that play to win games (especially against the Bills) at crucial times. In other words, theyare winners. That is what this Sabres team is. They are winners, plain and simple, and you can count on them to do just that.

Truly was. They just came alive so fast. You have certain feelings with teams, like when I watch the Patriots play, they seem to always make that play to win games (especially against the Bills) at crucial times. In other words, theyare winners. That is what this Sabres team is. They are winners, plain and simple, and you can count on them to do just that.

Exactly. :thumbsup:

I don't think that was the heart of a champion for the first 51 minutes. Sorry. Winning is nice, but the Sabres still have a number of things to clean up in their game. Having said that... unbelievable!

What I meant was that it would have been real easy for them to just pack it in for the night, make excuses like, "Well, it just wasn't our night,etc...", but they didn't and just basically willed themselves to get a W, where most of the other teams in the league would have just shut it down for the night...

I really hate to say it because I hate the Patriots so much, but this is the NHL's version of the Patriots...

I do however also agree that they need to stop relying on their ability to turn it on and off like a switch and just come out and play fundamentally sound hockey more than they have ben....perhaps their best game was the 4-1 drubbing they gave Montreal in the Forum after Ninimaa guarenteed a Montreal victory...they completely shut down Montreal and you knew from the beginning faceoff that they would win that night....reminded me of the Philly game in the playoffs last year where they won 3-0 and Miller could have taken a nap in goal...

What I meant was that it would have been real easy for them to just pack it in for the night, make excuses like, "Well, it just wasn't our night,etc...", but they didn't and just basically willed themselves to get a W, where most of the other teams in the league would have just shut it down for the night...

I really hate to say it because I hate the Patriots so much, but this is the NHL's version of the Patriots...

I do however also agree that they need to stop relying on their ability to turn it on and off like a switch and just come out and play fundamentally sound hockey more than they have ben....perhaps their best game was the 4-1 drubbing they gave Montreal in the Forum after Ninimaa guarenteed a Montreal victory...they completely shut down Montreal and you knew from the beginning faceoff that they would win that night....reminded me of the Philly game in the playoffs last year where they won 3-0 and Miller could have taken a nap in goal...

This is the only thing that bothers me about this win. Had their decision to play ~15 minutes of the 1st 60 (the last 9 and ~6 minutes elsewhere) caused them to lose to a clearly inferior team it may have been a wakeup call that they will need down the road.

Yes, this team is good, and in ANY game there will be an ebb and flow and you cannot control play for all 60 minutes (even in the Phlyers shelacking, the Phlyers didn't look horrible ALL 60 minutes; it couldn't have been more than 52 ;) ), but you can and should give a much better effort than they gave tonight. Rust may have been a factor, but there are only about 6 teams in the league that the Sabres should be able to expect to get 2 points out of a 15 minute effort.

I don't necessarily want to sound like some of the doom and gloomers that pop up here, but I also don't want to see them develop bad habits, and they seem to be developing them. I missed the 1st, but it sounded like Miller bailed them out big time. (It's still a darn shame they couldn't bail him out against the Thrashers.)

According to Barry Melrose the Sabres offense bailed Miller out of a terrible game :doh:

The Sabres looked flat - it just took them longer than usual to flip the switch.

What can you say? Another comeback, yawn.

I give it Three El Crusho "woots"

Classic face after the game was Ryan Miller who left the ice just shaking his head doing his

best "we pulled that one out of our friggin' butts" look.

I guess I'm not disturbed as much by the bad play as some are here. You just can't have your A game every night. They are playing in the National Hockey League with the very best players in the world. Boston has some good players. Every team does. There will be nights when one team just plays out of their skates (for 2 1/2 periods). I think that Boston did that last night. They had a good game plan and some good goals on some very nice plays. Our game looked a step slow and a step out of sync. I give that credit to Boston. They were in the lanes and forcing the play. They played a good game against Ottawa and stunned them. So Boston did have some momentum.

We definitely stole this one. And that should scare the rest of the league that even when they are struggling to get their game clicking, they can still steal one. We stole a point from the Thrashers and two from Boston.

We definitely stole this one. And that should scare the rest of the league that even when they are struggling to get their game clicking, they can still steal one. We stole a point from the Thrashers and two from Boston.

I definitely do not agree we stole a point from the Thrashers, I'd say it was the other way around.

According to Barry Melrose the Sabres offense bailed Miller out of a terrible game :doh:

Not a terrible game, but he did allow five behind him, and that's always a cause for concern, no matter how they go in. As I've said in the past, there are a bunch of 20-something goalies who "didn't have a chance" on four goals a night who are now selling used cars.

I think it's safe to say Afinogenov bailed them ALL out.

We played from behind all night

True, but I have never seen the Sabres have more times in a game where they stood all alone in front of the net facing the goalie with no defenders anyhere near them...

Just didn't finish like they normally do...I Tivo'd the game and re-watched it to make sure I just didn't see things, but even re-watching it I felt we clerly controlled the play for most of the game..

I guess I'm not disturbed as much by the bad play as some are here. You just can't have your A game every night. They are playing in the National Hockey League with the very best players in the world. Boston has some good players. Every team does. There will be nights when one team just plays out of their skates (for 2 1/2 periods). I think that Boston did that last night. They had a good game plan and some good goals on some very nice plays. Our game looked a step slow and a step out of sync. I give that credit to Boston. They were in the lanes and forcing the play. They played a good game against Ottawa and stunned them. So Boston did have some momentum.

I agree. I think after all the "streak" hoopla and the pretty long break that the Sabres just needed to get their legs under them. They should play better Sat against the Leafs and Sun against the Rangers. But it is almost shocking how quickly the Sabres erased that Bruin lead. Less than three years ago, a 2-1 lead was a big one and a 3-1 lead was almost a guarenteed win. But 4-1? In the third? And the trailing team wins? Unreal.

I think what makes this team scary is the fact that they can just turn it on at any point and come back. Just imagine what this team could do if they played like that everygame for the entire time? The league might have to put in a mercy rule.

Although the wins are nice and better then a loss, they still need alot of improvement if they want to win the cup. They need to play solid hockey all game and not just for the last couple minutes cause it could turn a complete 180 for them and now cost them games. Its also a little discouraging that they can't seem to put away games in regulation and keep going to shootouts. They are giving oponents a point

Just didn't finish like they normally do...I Tivo'd the game and re-watched it to make sure I just didn't see things, but even re-watching it I felt we clerly controlled the play for most of the game..

I'd have to disagree there. We didn't "clearly" outplay them. They took it to us for the better part of two and half periods and we turned it on for the last 9 minutes. I'll take the W and be happy about it, but against a better team, things could have gotten pretty ugly for us tonight...

I'd have to disagree there. We didn't "clearly" outplay them. They took it to us for the better part of two and half periods and we turned it on for the last 9 minutes. I'll take the W and be happy about it, but against a better team, things could have gotten pretty ugly for us tonight...

I believe matter's comment was referring to the Thrashers game.

I think it's safe to say Afinogenov bailed them ALL out.

I haven't seen a player take control of a game like he did in the last 10 minutes in years. He looked like the one ridiculously skilled kid in the intermission little kid hockey games, the kid who's all over the ice, doing everything.

Not a terrible game, but he did allow five behind him, and that's always a cause for concern, no matter how they go in. As I've said in the past, there are a bunch of 20-something goalies who "didn't have a chance" on four goals a night who are now selling used cars.

I guess we're going to disagree on that, since I won't throw our goaltender under the bus when he turns aside all 16 Boston shots in the 1st and stops 2 of 3 shootout attempts.

Without Miller holding the fort while the Sabres sleepwalked their way through the 1st, Buffalo skates out of there with no points and the Sabres are on the receiving end of a 6-2 (or worse) thrashing...

I think what makes this team scary is the fact that they can just turn it on at any point and come back. Just imagine what this team could do if they played like that everygame for the entire time? The league might have to put in a mercy rule.

Here's the thing. They can't. They are a third period team by design. That's why the 4th line gets disproportionate minutes in the 1rst period. They are going to roll 4 until they were you down.

They are going to wear down your 1rst and second line and set you up until they can control the game. Most teams can skate with the Sabres in the 1rst, only about half the teams in the league can skate with the Sabres in the 2nd period, and only a handful in the 3rd.

I have the sense that Atlanta is still gassed after beating Buffalo.

Hahahaha I miss those little guys in between periods...

Wonder why we don't have them anymore

So the ice will be better during the actual game (seriously).

The league requested a couple of years ago that teams limit / eliminate inbetween period on-ice promotions so the Zambonis can get on the ice right after the horn sounds and the ice will be dry and hard at the start of the next period.

IIRC, they also asked teams not to use fireworks inside the rinks, again to have better ice.

Considering fast ice is a huge advantage to the Sabres, I think they should do everything in their power to duplicate the Edmonton's crew's results.

Here's the thing. They can't. They are a third period team by design. That's why the 4th line gets disproportionate minutes in the 1rst period. They are going to roll 4 until they were you down.

They are going to wear down your 1rst and second line and set you up until they can control the game. Most teams can skate with the Sabres in the 1rst, only about half the teams in the league can skate with the Sabres in the 2nd period, and only a handful in the 3rd.

I have the sense that Atlanta is still gassed after beating Buffalo.

They also have had a disproportionate level of success in the 2nd most likely due to the extra distance to the benches. With the Sabres players general makeup and speed, there isn't as much of an exploitable matchup if their players can't get to the bench because the puck didn't go deep enough (especially on D when Tallinder is available) as there would/will be with other teams.

Few other teams have 6 quick, relatively strong in their own end D-men. When they can't get a change, the Sabres can get a matchup of Briere or Max vs. a tired pylon.

The league requested a couple of years ago that teams limit / eliminate inbetween period on-ice promotions so the Zambonis can get on the ice right after the horn sounds and the ice will be dry and hard at the start of the next period.

They had one of those "hit a shot from center ice, win a car" contests last night. The hole was probably about an inch wider than the puck (they also had holes in the top corners for some reason). The woman hit the inside edge of the hole and bounced out. ~1cm away from winning a Lexus, that must've sucked.

We played from behind all night

We did, but The Thrashers were in no way dominating in their performance, and would never have won that game if Lehtonen didn't stand on his head.

Only time we've stolen points this year was against The Habs at home and against The Wings, IMHO.

And last night of course.

Archived