Name the player who started your love for hockey.

Roger Crozier

Derek Plante, can't remember the year but I think it was 1993-94 and he scored an overtime goal against Boston (at least that is how I remember it). In the first Hockey game I remember being at.

I remember him scoring an OT goal against Boston in 95-96 because I was at that game....but maybe he did then too.

One player..... hmmmmm. I don't have a player. I just loved the experience of going to the Aud and watching the Sabres play.

I remember him scoring an OT goal against Boston in 95-96 because I was at that game....but maybe he did then too.

One player..... hmmmmm. I don't have a player. I just loved the experience of going to the Aud and watching the Sabres play.

could have been 95-96 also, that probably is it, thanks for clearing up my childhood.

Kevin Maguire- for the youngins here, he was an enforcer type for the Sabres in the mid-late 80's, but he had enough skill to score 10-15 goals a year.

He wouldn't back down from anyone. One game Detroit took a few runs at our goalie, and the guys on the ice were pretty ho-hum about it. Well, when it was Maguire's shift, he took a run at their goalie when he was the only Sabre in the zone...then had 4 Red Wings jump him including Bob Probert in his prime. He did his Hulk Hogan impression until some other Sabres jumped in.

That was the end of old time hockey, when no BS was tolerated and the players were self-policed. I enjoy the new NHL and the Sabres, but I am not in love anymore. I know I am in the minority.

Didn't Maguire have some help from Mike Hartman? :) I remember meeting Hartman & another Sabre at an autograph signing at the Niagara Falls hockey rink, and he showed up sporting a pair of nasty shiners. You are right, it was at time when players took care of one another come hell or high water. (BTW, Maguire never cracked the 10-goal plateau in his NHL career - his high was 9, and sadly it came with the Laffs.)

I am going to be the jerk who breaks the rule and give you a couple names. First one was Andy Bezeau, a pest type of forward who played for the Niagara Falls Thunder. My father used to take me, my brothes and my best friend at the time to watch the Thunder games, and after Bezeau scored one of his rare goals, me & my buddy got up on the edge of the boards & reached over and Bexeau hi-fived us on the way by. We were like 13 or 14 at the time, so he became the coolest player ever to us.

In the NHL, I really enjoyed watching Mogilny, LaFontaine and Grant Fuhr (for a brief time) at the old Aud, and I remember watching Vancouver's Pavel Bure starting around the goal line and catching Mogilny from behind on a 2-on-1 - just awesome speed.

I've been watching hockey since the late 80's when I was 6 or 7, but I really fell in llove with hockey in 91 with the acquisition of a Certain Pat Lafontaine.

I remember Maguire quite well... One game that stuck out was against the Whalers and he fought... I want to say Dineen(not sure tho) and absolutely destroyed him. He had Dineen's jersey over his head and when the ref finally broke it up Dineen rose and revealed his entire left side of his face bloodied I saw that and gave a Keanu Reaves-esque Whoa... Good old days of 80's Hockey

I've been watching hockey since the late 80's when I was 6 or 7, but I really fell in llove with hockey in 91 with the acquisition of a Certain Pat Lafontaine.

I remember Maguire quite well... One game that stuck out was against the Whalers and he fought... I want to say Dineen(not sure tho) and absolutely destroyed him. He had Dineen's jersey over his head and when the ref finally broke it up Dineen rose and revealed his entire left side of his face bloodied I saw that and gave a Keanu Reaves-esque Whoa... Good old days of 80's Hockey

I liked him not so much that he fought, but he didn't back down from anybody and had some skill to boot. I think he still refs now.

Patty was for sure #2. What a class act. That year where he and Mogilny went bonkers together was great. As much excitement as there was for the team last year, I think there was more of a buzz for those 2 guys when they were at their peak.

Believe it or not, Vanek.

I was always a casual fan until I started dating a girl in Rochester during the lockout. She had season tickets to the Amerks so we started going. Watching their run to the playoffs (minus their 1st round choke) totally turned me from a casual hockey fan into a fanatic. When last season started and all the guys from Rochester were there, it was great because I watched them play the whole previous season.

"Red" Berenson - St. Louis Blues.

As a little kid growing up in Buffalo, it was right before the Sabres franchise was formed. I recall watching the 69 Stanley Cup Finals - Blues vs. Canadiens. I just picked up on him because of the unique name. I recall in early 80's, Berenson actually joined the Sabres coaching staff when he worked for Bowman (his coach when he was on the Blues).

Of course, then came Gil Perrault..... :)

I don't remember a player that got me hooked... But i was hooked going to the aud with my dad when i was very young. However, when i was about 12, and grant fuhr came to play for us, i was hooked on playing. I never was a goalie till i saw another leftie actually playing well for my team. I think i convinced my parents to splurge on some street hockey goalie equipment within a couple days of fuhr's first game.

Archived