Name the player who started your love for hockey.

Roger Crozier

The one and only number 11................Gilbert Perrrrrrrrrrreaaaaaaaaaaauuuuuuullllllltttttttttttttt scores his 500th goal.................I cried watching that goal........And also when WGRZ had a video of Perreault highlights put together with the Huey Lewis song, "Happy to be Stuck with you.".........(that was when he decided to stay in Buffalo for his last year)........... B-)

I began following hockey when i could first understand the game. So at about 5 years old I began to view the games w/ my dad and I was amazed by Patty Lafantaine and Alexander Mogilny, I don't really remember too many plays from the top of my head, but when I saw what those guys did when they were on the ice together....all i remember thinking was wow.they were just amazing players and the best in the league. To a kid who only HEARD of guys named gilbert, rene, and rick I thought that Mogilny and Lafontaine were the best to ever wear blue and gold.... From those first memories of hockey... made me love this game! about 15 years later its still my favorite game out there!!!

GREAT TOPIC BY THE WAY!!!!! KUDOS to the topic starter!

Hey Kicksave- that was my first Sabre game I witnessed in person- age 10 years old. Loved Perreault, Crozier and gang but I was Gilles Meloche every game we played on the street or rink (had to love those Seals white skates). Thanks for the blast from the past! Currently live in Neenah, Wisconsin, go Sabres-this is the year we all will smile in the end.

Bert Perreault for me. And of course, fav non Sabre was LaFleur.

Interesting thing though...I remembered liking Ric Sieling when I was a kid and a few years ago I taught his son when he was in 7th grade. I didn't make the connection with the name until a parent conference and I saw a Sabres ring on his finger as I shook hands and then I went "Oh. My. Gawd". Most awkward moment as a teacher ever.

:lol:

He was truly a gift to the sport.

It must have been that 200 plus penalty min. year in Rochester.

When you are a little kid and this mug steps onto the ice, you take notice. I don't even think he could skate. He would just pummel opponets and eventually no one wanted to fight him.

It's nice to evoke such happy memories from so many people. As I said in another topic, I had a game used Victoriaville stick from Roger Crozier when I was a kid. Unfortunately, I wore it out playing street hockey. (Kids weren't too smart back then either) I used to love watching him play, and I used to curse Gary Bromley, when he would start a game in Crozier's place. During one of Crozier's frequent illness hiatus', I remember walking up to Punch Imlach between periods at the Aud. He was sitting in his familiar seat in the corner upper golds with his wife. The popular thing to do back then was to keep players indescretions quiet. It was heavily rumored that Crozier had a drinking problem in the later years of his career. The Sabres always maintained he had pancreas problems. I asked Punch if he knew where Crozier was. He told me he believed he was in Pittsburgh. I think I was 12, so I didn't press the issue. But I don't remember Crozier ever playing another game with the Sabres after that.

It's tough to choose just one but definitely one of the Hanson brothers. Maybe Steve-- no, Jack. No, it's Jeff.

Alright, if you really want to know, it was Jacques Cloutier. I had a competitive thing with my older brother, who was a fan of Barasso, so I had no choice but to take Cloutier. Boy, did I ever pull for Jacques to be successful!

Archived