GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

Wow, great game... And yes, after a 7 game series, in which our entire team was out with injury, last year's regular season series, and this game, i'm finally willing to give the canes some credit for being damn good... Tonight the sabres were better.

I really didn't know what to think about spacek till i got nhl07, where spacek is almost "tecmo bo". Well, now that i've seen the real thing, i can put all worried about a mckeeless defense behind me. Timely scoring, good puck movement, and the lack of stupid defensive mistakes spells a win tonight for the good guys.

RANDOM THOUGHTS:

if briere and hecht can get in sync with afinogenov (or visa versa) that's going to be a killer line...

novotny looked very good out there. hard to tell that he was a rochester boy last year...

miller looked outstanding.

too many penalties

campbell continues to hit

the guy who clocked gaustad should get a fine at least.... it is the nhl and the canes are the showcase team, so we all know there won't be any suspensions, but that was a nasty shot to the face...

vanek needs to score like friday, or i can see a lengthy cold streak like last year's beginning again.

we beat the canes in raleigh, in OT... suck it Earnhardtiacs.

Unfortunately I didn't get to watch the game today, I had to listen on the radio, and it sounded like a really good, close game with a lot of chances both ways...

Typically, the Sabres found a way to win, which is good to see that part of their game carryover from last season...

18 penalties really seemed like alot, and it seemed every little infraction was being called...was it really this way, or did it just seem like it?

Either way, I'll take it, and we can look forward to the home opener now...

We take game 8, it's poetic. Especially on their banner night. Couple of thoughts regarding the game:

-The back numbers on our aways look dark green. Is it my TV?

-Novotny looked good tonight, pleasantly surprised.

-The announcers, as always, SUCK. Oh Rick and Jim, why do you have to be 11 seconds faster than the speed of light?! The one announcer during OT: "They will probably only rotate the first two lines....Oh it looks as if they are using the 3rd and 4th as well!!" Well no SH%T. They just played 60 minutes of hockey, and NOW IT'S 4 on 4!!! They think it's NHL99 for Playstation.

-GREAT CAMERA ANGLES IN THE SHOOTOUT. I didn't even see the live angle on Briere's goal, or Staal's attempt. New name, same crap of a TV station. I remember cringing last year when we got the national games. Looks like more of the same.

-Done ranting, great W!!!!!!!! Bring on Les Habitants!!!

My very quick take on the game.

Miller is the real deal. I see no "sophomore slump" for this kid.

Spacek played the way I expected him to. Solid at both ends, threw a few nice hits, didn't do anything spectacular, but did what he needed to do. Can you imagine how the powerplay will work when he's moving the puck on the BL and Timmy's moving it up front? I can't wait.

Overall the team played solid. A few more penalties than I would like to have seen, but not terribly unexpected in the 1st game of the season with 2 very fast teams.

I really hope the league pays attention to Justin Williams' high sticks to the eye. He put Koivu out last year and came very close to putting Gaustad out this year. I don't care how good he is. The next time he cuts a guy above the mouth, he should get a 2 game suspension. What would the league do if he gets Ovechkin or Jagr next time?

Gleason is a good pick up for the Canes. He'll never be what Johnson is supposed to become, but he broke up several Sabres scoring chances. The kid is good and will be very strong in his own end for a long time.

Vanek needs to bury a chance against Montreal to keep from gripping that stick too tight (if he isn't already). Hopefully he'll keep working hard, and I think he'll be ok when one finally goes in, but he should have buried at least 1 of his 3 killer chances. It looked like the puck got away from him slightly on all 3 at some point.

I definitely am holding off on getting an HDTV for at least another year or 2. I liked the way the unis looked (kind of surprised myself) but unless they had a closeup on a Sabre I couldn't really see that thing on the front (which was a good thing ;) ). So no HDTV for this kid.

Paille can't be brought up quick enough or Timmy can't come back soon enough. Being able to roll 4 lines will be huge.

Sabres win, yet ESPN's three stars are all Hurricanes. WTF?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/boxscore?gameId=261004007

Homers. Funny part about that was that Miller had more saves than Ward, and it's not even enough to warrant 3rd star.

I definitely am holding off on getting an HDTV for at least another year or 2. I liked the way the unis looked (kind of surprised myself) but unless they had a closeup on a Sabre I couldn't really see that thing on the front (which was a good thing ;) ). So no HDTV for this kid.

It was the same in HD. You barely noticed.

Football in HD looks awesome. Hockey was cool, but it was a bit of a letdown after what I had heard others say.

The new blue looks black. Too bad, I was hoping it would look better. Saw it on at least 3 different standard def sets and 1 HD set, all looked black.

Football in HD looks awesome. Hockey was cool, but it was a bit of a letdown after what I had heard others say.

The new blue looks black. Too bad, I was hoping it would look better. Saw it on at least 3 different standard def sets and 1 HD set, all looked black.

Was the HD set actually in HD? A lot of places tend to have an awesome TV and not use the HD broadcast. Looks even worse since it has to be stretched.

My thoughts.

- Peters, get him out, he's huge, but useless.

- Hecht, I think he might be better served on Drury's Line, and moving Kotalik up with Briere and Maxim.

- Spacek look fantastic.

- Our Defense looks really good in general. Their covering their errors and the rebounds in front of the net were taken care of.

- Pominville, ready to step up.

- Roy. Nice Hustle.

- Vanek, needs to get it going.

- Altogether we looked a little sloppy, but I can feel the same old Sabres coming through again. And that's a really good thing.

After a quick phone call, I found out that Time Warner is having some troubles with Versus. Their timing is horrific.

Anyway, getting back to the action, for the second straight year, the Sabres have scored the first goal of the NHL regular season. How neat is that?

That's nice, but ...

scoring the LAST goal of the season will be MUCH cooler. B-)

My thoughts.

- Peters, get him out, he's huge, but useless.

- Hecht, I think he might be better served on Drury's Line, and moving Kotalik up with Briere and Maxim.

Perhaps, but having Ales be the "defensive minded" player on a line scares me a little.

- Spacek look fantastic.

- Our Defense looks really good in general. Their covering their errors and the rebounds in front of the net were taken care of.

- Pominville, ready to step up.

- Roy. Nice Hustle.

- Vanek, needs to get it going.

- Altogether we looked a little sloppy, but I can feel the same old Sabres coming through again. And that's a really good thing.

Yeah, my last crusade seems to have potential to have a happy ending. I'm hoping the newest one works out so well. ;)

Well, since Buffalo Wild Wings crapped out on having DirecTV and instead has the same crappy Cox Cleveland lineup we have at home, it is near impossible for me to make any deep and insightful comments about the game, except for great win on opening night; and I CANNOT WAIT until Friday's game vs. Montreal...thank you free preview from Center Ice...

Meh. Sabres rocked.

Let them say what they want about the stars, Buffalo got the two points for the win.

I agree with all the Novotny lovers. He's just solid, like he's been playing in the NHL for 7 years.

As do I -- I really like his game on the 3rd line.

What'll become of Novotny when Timmy's back?

p.s. Can I get an over/under line on how many more games we must endure before closing the books on the Andrew Peters project?

p.s. Can I get an over/under line on how many more games we must endure before closing the books on the Andrew Peters project?

It's not as if they are waiting for him to develop. They know what they have, fists for hire, just like every other NHL team. Once teams do away with thugs, The Sabres will do likewise.

Lots of calls in the game last night, and some that were missed, but since we won, it is a bit of a non-issue.

One thing that really impressed me in last night's game was how good the team skated in the 3rd period and in OT. After a 2nd period where the Canes outplayed us, we came out skating in the 3rd and I was surprised we didn't net one.

Good start to the season for the Sabres, but like the Bills, they have got to stop making penalties.

The limited amount of highlights on NHL.com showed him a couple times, and from what I saw, he at least looked like he was giving a good effort, which is all we can ask for. The goals will come, and he can keep working with power skating coaches to improve his speed, but if the effort, desire and will aren't there, then none of that matters...

The limited amount of highlights on NHL.com showed him a couple times, and from what I saw, he at least looked like he was giving a good effort, which is all we can ask for. The goals will come, and he can keep working with power skating coaches to improve his speed, but if the effort, desire and will aren't there, then none of that matters...

He made a nice move to draw a penalty.

BTW Count me in the Spacek fan club as well.