GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

http://www.newsobserver.com/796/story/494523.html

I kind of like how they call the Buffalo PP inept. True they didn't score, but they moved the puck well and got some really good chances. While the Canes PP did score it was on an extended 5 on 3, and the Canes often looked lost on the PP. But, the Carolina press probably just looks at the scoresheet at the end of the night :lol:

My very quick take on the game.

Miller is the real deal. I see no "sophomore slump" for this kid.

Spacek played the way I expected him to. Solid at both ends, threw a few nice hits, didn't do anything spectacular, but did what he needed to do. Can you imagine how the powerplay will work when he's moving the puck on the BL and Timmy's moving it up front? I can't wait.

Overall the team played solid. A few more penalties than I would like to have seen, but not terribly unexpected in the 1st game of the season with 2 very fast teams.

I really hope the league pays attention to Justin Williams' high sticks to the eye. He put Koivu out last year and came very close to putting Gaustad out this year. I don't care how good he is. The next time he cuts a guy above the mouth, he should get a 2 game suspension. What would the league do if he gets Ovechkin or Jagr next time?

Gleason is a good pick up for the Canes. He'll never be what Johnson is supposed to become, but he broke up several Sabres scoring chances. The kid is good and will be very strong in his own end for a long time.

Vanek needs to bury a chance against Montreal to keep from gripping that stick too tight (if he isn't already). Hopefully he'll keep working hard, and I think he'll be ok when one finally goes in, but he should have buried at least 1 of his 3 killer chances. It looked like the puck got away from him slightly on all 3 at some point.

I definitely am holding off on getting an HDTV for at least another year or 2. I liked the way the unis looked (kind of surprised myself) but unless they had a closeup on a Sabre I couldn't really see that thing on the front (which was a good thing ;) ). So no HDTV for this kid.

Paille can't be brought up quick enough or Timmy can't come back soon enough. Being able to roll 4 lines will be huge.

Dave -- I agree with all of your points, except:

1. I thought Spacek looked not just solid, but really good, and really good in all phases. I can see a quiet competition developing between him and Henrik for the unofficial title of #1 defenseman.

2. While I assume your HD remarks were tongue in cheek, I will nevertheless strongly advise getting HD. The improvement in game-watching from the normal-sized non-HD picture to the big-screen HD picture (with attendant improvement in surround sound) is dramatic. Although the majority of sabres games this year will be non-HD (unless MSG is broadcasting the sabres games in HD), there will still be a dozen or so in HD, plus all of the non-sabres games on OLN/vs, plus all of the playoffs, plus (if you're interested) the bills, the other NFL, other sports, etc.

FWIW, I will admit that I thought the jerseys looked pretty sweet last night. The HD view of the slug didn't ruin the experience by any means.

3. this may be optimistic but I detected some improvement in Vanek's play. He's definitely leaner and quicker, although he was still a step behind the play a few times. He's never going to be as good a skater as most of the other forwards. Lindy's certainly giving him plenty of chances -- he had him on the PP and the PK as well as on the ice at the end of regulation and OT and in the shootout as well.

http://www.newsobserver.com/796/story/494523.html

I kind of like how they call the Buffalo PP inept. True they didn't score, but they moved the puck well and got some really good chances. While the Canes PP did score it was on an extended 5 on 3, and the Canes often looked lost on the PP. But, the Carolina press probably just looks at the scoresheet at the end of the night :lol:

I thought Carolina's PK was also pretty good. They were aggressive all night and never really allowed us to set up in the zone. It seemed like every time we dumped the puck in on the PP, Carolina jumped on it and cleared it.

Skating is not his forte, making Goalies look silly with ridiculous moves in shootouts is his forte.

True, but he did try to sell that fake way to early in the shootout. Not a very original deke and Ward was ready for it....still better than all three Cane's shooters.

Briere's backhand, on the other hand, was a thing of beauty. That puck went vertical in a hurry.

Vanek Should have brought it forehand he had Ward Commited to the stick side....

Also Vanek is Deceptively Fast, He's more quick than Fast I should say... He was able to dance around the one Carlina defensemen with ease He was never known for his speed It his getting open in tight spaces around the net that he's good at and he had alot of chances last nighht... I say he scores 2 on Friday

True, but he did try to sell that fake way to early in the shootout. Not a very original deke and Ward was ready for it....still better than all three Cane's shooters.

Briere's backhand, on the other hand, was a thing of beauty. That puck went vertical in a hurry.

I tried Vanek's "around the puck" deke at practice last night... It didn't work then either. :lol:

Observations in no particular order:

So many penalties last night, but most were from the forwards going backwards.

Neither team saw that kind of speed in the pre-season. Lots of holding calls.

I thought Vanek was skating well.

Powerplay looked rushed. While I love having Spacek's point shot, I still thought he could have been more patient and could have stepped up in the zone. Even though 0-9 last night I am not worried.

Novotny is going to be an asset, some nice forechecking, backchecking, and nice work in the faceoff circle.

28 blocked shots plus 8 by Soupy is pretty amazing.

I am wondering about Gaustad and Mair's limited ice time. Was that because of so many special teams things happening or is it because Peters has no business being on the ice.

Did I hear a OOH AHH Sabres on the Warpath in the third? I thought I did.