Buffalo Management Is Looking Bad....

The Goat

First, Darcy didn't send anyone to arbitration - they chose to go there. Second, McKee wasn't our top D-man, until the injury bug swooped in on the D-corps. Like KnightRider said - he might not have even been top-4 by the end of the playoffs.

Finally - why did we let the goat goad us into reading his (her?) crap and then get two pages of responses? Seriously, we are doing a good enough job of infighting (sorry, "discussing" :) ) our offseason without responding to a troll who is only looking to whip the natives up into a frenzy. Just my two cents...

It's a debate, I'm not trying to be negative.

If there was an expansion draft, and I was a new GM who had a choice to take one foreward and one D-man from Buffalo, I would have taken McKee and Briere. Some might disagree, but in the big picture figuring in past, current, and future play...McKee is the most rock solid. He's a B-list version of Pronger or Jovanowski. Guys like Tallinder and Lydman are at huge risk of regression if physical play comes back to this league. That's why I am critical of Darcy on this one.....yes, we didn't know how the refs would call it, but McKee was a steady force and was worth signing before last year.

A good manager would have done it as a simple hedge.....we have 6 Dmen....1 is physical(McKee), 4 are skilled (Campbell,Tallinder,Lydman,Teppo) and one is a cross(Kalinin). If the new NHL is still the Old NHL, then McKee is still worth $2million before last season. Darcy was worried that he may not fit in the new NHL. Even if he didn't, by definition you would have 4 skilled guys who would. As it turned out, the new NHL was great for the skilled guys, and McKee fit right in without a problem. If it went the other way, we would have been stuck with an undersized team, and McKee, who would be our only physical force, still would have walked.

I don't want Charlie Wang here....I just want to see a little Wang from our GM.

APus -- this kind of factual inaccuracy is beneath you. Ottawa let arguably their 2 best players go in Chara and Havlat b/c they were too expensive. Carolina has lost a bunch of players too (4 or 5 regulars, I think). Both have lost much more than we have.

I was hoping someone was gooing to point this out to him.

McKee is the most rock solid. He's a B-list version of Pronger or Jovanowski.

Dwight you are killing me ... where is Leonard Smith when we need him to take your job ;):)

The issue with McKee was not just "would he fit in the new NHL" ... it was also, he had missed 62 games the previous two seasons due to injury. Signing an injury-prone guys to a long-term deal, no matter how cheap, is a risk. (Trying hard NOT to take a shot at him for missing the biggest game of his life ... not his fault, I know, but it illustrates the point, the guy gets hurt)

And spare me the comparisons to Pronger and Jovanovski ... in those two seasons before last, McKee had TWO goals and EIGHT assists in 102 games ... that's a good week for Pronger. It was two SEASONS for McKee ...he's not B-list to those guys. Not even close.

I LOVE Jay McKee, I wish he was still on the team, but he was not worth that money and it's an insult to Pronger and Jovanovski to mention him in the same sentence.

APus -- this kind of factual inaccuracy is beneath you. Ottawa let arguably their 2 best players go in Chara and Havlat b/c they were too expensive. Carolina has lost a bunch of players too (4 or 5 regulars, I think). Both have lost much more than we have.

I know Ottawa lost Chara and Havlat, but on their team, they could afford to lose them. They may have lost more then we have, but they also started with more then we have.

I know Ottawa lost Chara and Havlat, but on their team, they could afford to lose them. They may have lost more then we have, but they also started with more then we have.

Chara, Havlat, Hasek gone.

Redden, Alfredsson, Heatley, Spezza stay.

I think Buffalo will match up well.

NFW. We had the same # of wins they had in the reg. season. We beat them 7 out of the last 10 times we played them. I know you didn't miss the playoff series in which we beat them in 5 games?

I'll also point out that they kept the one guy they should've gotten rid of -- that uptight, puckered, perpetually frowning loser of a coach.

You have just confirmed the ignorance of Hurricanes fans everywhere. McKee is not worth anywhere near $4 million. If management is so bad, why are players signing multi-year contracts? Tallinder, Kotalik and Campbell must have missed the memo that it's time to jump ship. And how does Spacek fit into your theory?

What's your reasoning behind Toronto surpassing the Sabres? Is it Andrew Raycroft's 3.71 GAA and .879 SV% from last year? Or is it that Paul Maurice is the head coach? If he used to be the head coach of the Hurricanes he must be infallible right ;)

I didn't make it through the bulk of your replies as most of them quickly devolved into blathering about me somehow gloating and being another ininformed Canes fan.

So I thought I'd reply to this post as it is somewhat coherent.

First, if any Sabres fan thinks that Spacek is a suitable replacement for McKee you don't know your own team. McKee's shotblocking alone puts him on another level nevermind his consistent play. He's five inches taller, four years younger and is just hitting his prime. Yeah, you're right, I'd much rather have Spacek.

And yes $4 million is a lot of money for McKee but defensemen were at a premium this free agent season and, besides, it's not your money and if you've got to have $4 million tied up in one d-man why not have it be McKee, who is/was a team leader and a solid top four d on any team in the league. It's funny how quick so many of you are to forget the man's accomplishments the moment he leaves town.

Talinder and Kotalik have just one decent season, perhaps two, under their belts yet they are are both 27 years old. They signed smart deals to secure their futures. These aren't exactly top flight talents with limitless potential.

Someone made the point that the Canes are letting all their players get away...huh?

Aaron Ward was a big loss but many of you seem to have forgot that we've still got Jack Johnson waiting in the wings. Weight and Recchi served their purpose but I think that we'll survive.

Brind'Amour, Cole, Williams, Staal, Whitney and Stillman...umm, yeah we'll be ok. We've had the same checking line for two seasons and that will be intact again next year. Add to that the depth addition of Scott Walker and the continued emergence of number 4 overall pick Andrew Ladd and the Canes look pretty good.

The point of my first post was simple: in contract negotiations Buffalo seems to bite the hands of the players who help bring them much of their playoff success. It seems to be a curious way to do business.

The Goat

Carolina Hurricanes

2006 Stanley Cup Champions

I didn't make it through the bulk of your replies as most of them quickly devolved into blathering about me somehow gloating and being another ininformed Canes fan.

First, if any Sabres fan thinks that Spacek is a suitable replacement for McKee you don't know your own team. McKee's shotblocking alone puts him on another level nevermind his consistent play. He's five inches taller, four years younger and is just hitting his prime. Yeah, you're right, I'd much rather have Spacek.

Except on the Penalty kill and shots blocked, Spacek will be an upgrade in almost every department, including minutes available. Buffalo was a fast defense, Spacek now makes them ridiculously fast.

If Buffalo signs Lydman they will have a great 1-6.

Goat. Seriously dude. You are without a doubt making yourself look more and more like an A$$hole.

I suggest you disappear. There is no reason for you to be here. I can't imagine wasting my time looking up the addresses of other teams boards. I post here. I don't feel the need to go out of my way to post elsewhere, trying to stir it up. Maybe that makes you feel better about yourself. Maybe you were neglected as a child. Who knows? All I know is you must have some kind of great life that you need to be in here ranting on some other team's board.

It's funny, but you sure care a lot about our team. Possibly it's because you really do know that the better team did not win. That your team that looks pretty good to you, got very fortunate. Maybe this helps you deal with it better. Who knows.

Our team will be just fine, but thanks for caring.

And yes $4 million is a lot of money for McKee but defensemen were at a premium this free agent season and, besides, it's not your money and if you've got to have $4 million tied up in one d-man why not have it be McKee, who is/was a team leader and a solid top four d on any team in the league. It's funny how quick so many of you are to forget the man's accomplishments the moment he leaves town.

Come on Goat ... if you really want us to take you seriously and not think you are here just to gloat and be an ass, at least don't be so blatant about it.

McKee would have been making more than anyone on the Sabres and been making the same amout of money as your beloved Staal, Cole and Brindamour. That makes NO sense. If Carolina had signed him to that deal you would have been pissed. I am not forgetting his accomplishments, I am being realistic. The guy was injury prone for two years and then last year missed the game of his life because he was hurt. I'm not blaming him, I'm saying his style of play means he has taken a beating over the years and he gets injured and that factors in when deciding whether or not you pay a guy big bucks long-term.

But hey maybe you are right. maybe Jay McKee is Dennis Potvin and Larry Robinson rolled into one (not sure you have heard of them) ... but if so, you should have no problem admitting his presence in Game 7 would have changed the outcome, right?

I didn't think so.

But hey maybe you are right. maybe Jay McKee is Dennis Potvin and Larry Robinson rolled into one (not sure you have heard of them) ... but if so, you should have no problem admitting his presence in Game 7 would have changed the outcome, right?

He's a coach, right? ;)

I don't feel like I even need to read all of the 'in-fighting' replies that just occurred. somehow a majority of people believe darcy does not want to win, nor does golisano.

come on guys, if it was that simple briere would have been signed up 4 months ago. this all comes down to simple economics. i don't dare paint as dire a picture as Bucky Gleason today, but he is right. in order for the Sabres to barely average what they did last year ticket prices need to be the lowest in the league. sure, we could have made ridiculous offers to briere and matched mckee's $4M, but everynight from this point forward will then be a "Gold" ticket night and suddenly the arena looks like NJ's meadowlands on a typical night b/c the WNY economny will NOT be able to afford tickets anymore

Talinder and Kotalik have just one decent season, perhaps two, under their belts yet they are are both 27 years old. They signed smart deals to secure their futures. These aren't exactly top flight talents with limitless potential.

Someone made the point that the Canes are letting all their players get away...huh?

Aaron Ward was a big loss but many of you seem to have forgot that we've still got Jack Johnson waiting in the wings. Weight and Recchi served their purpose but I think that we'll survive.

Brind'Amour, Cole, Williams, Staal, Whitney and Stillman...umm, yeah we'll be ok. We've had the same checking line for two seasons and that will be intact again next year. Add to that the depth addition of Scott Walker and the continued emergence of number 4 overall pick Andrew Ladd and the Canes look pretty good.

The point of my first post was simple: in contract negotiations Buffalo seems to bite the hands of the players who help bring them much of their playoff success. It seems to be a curious way to do business.

The Goat

Carolina Hurricanes

2006 Stanley Cup Champions

You honestly think that Ward was the only player the Canes lost? Just how much is Jack Johnson going to help if he doesn't sign? Your lack of hockey acumen becomes more apparent with each passing post.

Carolina picked up exactly 1 good free agent (I don't consider Grahame nor Letowski exactly HoF material nor particularly good players) which is how many the Sabres picked up. Yet apparently the FA's are beating down Carolina's door and not Buffalo's.

And while Carolina has Andrew Ladd emerging, the Sabres have no solid young talent? Guess again bright eyes.

You state that Buffalo "SEEMS to bite the hands of players". The grand total of evidence to back your claim would be:

1. They didn't offer McKee $4MM/yr. He was the Sabres #4 or #5 D-man last year. Your beloved Canes are only giving Staal and Cole $4MM/yr. Are you really suggesting the Sabres 4th best D-man is as valuable as the Canes top 2 forwards? If you are, then I guess you are admitting that the Canes should not have beaten the Sabres last year.

2. They have more guys in arbitration than anyone else. So what. They only had 3 UFA's of any consequence. Your boys had 9 and I believe you lost about 6 of them. The Sabres have only lost 2 players to this point in the game. When the Sabres have lost more than the Canes have, your claims that they are creating an environment that players don't want to be in might have merit. Until then, unless you are stating that noone wants to play in Carolina, your claim is completely baseless.

3. Buffalo has lost 2 players. Which, BTW is FAR fewer than Carolina has lost.

4. Perhaps, in some bizarre twist of "Caniac logic", Buffalo signing Kotalik, Spacek, Tallinder, and Campbell to multiyear deals (with more signings on the way) is proof that players don't want to play for the Sabres?

Also, to claim that Spacek is much less of a player than McKee is absurd. The guy was a plus player on the friggin' Blackhawks for cryin' out loud. You're right. He must suck.

You are trolling. It is beneath you.

You honestly think that Ward was the only player the Canes lost? Just how much is Jack Johnson going to help if he doesn't sign? Your lack of hockey acumen becomes more apparent with each passing post.

Carolina picked up exactly 1 good free agent (I don't consider Grahame nor Letowski exactly HoF material nor particularly good players) which is how many the Sabres picked up. Yet apparently the FA's are beating down Carolina's door and not Buffalo's.

And while Carolina has Andrew Ladd emerging, the Sabres have no solid young talent? Guess again bright eyes.

You state that Buffalo "SEEMS to bite the hands of players". The grand total of evidence to back your claim would be:

1. They didn't offer McKee $4MM/yr. He was the Sabres #4 or #5 D-man last year. Your beloved Canes are only giving Staal and Cole $4MM/yr. Are you really suggesting the Sabres 4th best D-man is as valuable as the Canes top 2 forwards? If you are, then I guess you are admitting that the Canes should not have beaten the Sabres last year.

2. They have more guys in arbitration than anyone else. So what. They only had 3 UFA's of any consequence. Your boys had 9 and I believe you lost about 6 of them. The Sabres have only lost 2 players to this point in the game. When the Sabres have lost more than the Canes have, your claims that they are creating an environment that players don't want to be in might have merit. Until then, unless you are stating that noone wants to play in Carolina, your claim is completely baseless.

4. Perhaps, in some bizarre twist of "Caniac logic", Buffalo signing Kotalik, Spacek, Tallinder, and Campbell to multiyear deals (with more signings on the way) is proof that players don't want to play for the Sabres?

Also, to claim that Spacek is much less of a player than McKee is absurd. The guy was a plus player on the friggin' Blackhawks for cryin' out loud. You're right. He must suck.

Game. Set. Match. Bravo Dave!

I didn't think so.

Great post.

Like I said, this should be interesting...

Archived