Arbitration Alert: Daniel Briere

bruceleeroy

Yea, one year $5 million guarantees us nothing except that Briere gets rich, could light it up further and then walk away.

I've changed my tune now. If they can sign him and deal him for someone good who is cheaper, he has to go.

Funny thing though. This team resurrected his career and what do they get for it??? Danny is not worth $5 million per. I'd rather see Drury get that and him stay.

The fans have always wanted the team to spend a little for an Alex Tanguay or a Marty Havlat on our first line.

Now we have one. One that plays our system. One that serves as our captain. One that loves playing for us. One that doesn't completely screw our lockerroom. AND one that's not as expensive (this is near what Satan earned pre-paycut).

Not only do I say sign him today, I say continue long term contract negotiations and sign him to a two year extension for a similar amount.

In fact, Briere could be involved in a "sign-and-trade" within the next couple of days. The two sides are working on a 5-year, $25 million deal that would then see Briere dealt immediately. Montreal, Los Angeles and Atlanta are among the teams in the mix. from:TSN

The real story here is not the award, but the behind the scenes workings on why this was delayed. Giving the parties time to finish what the real story is going to be...Headlines in the next week or so...Briere traded to ? for ?

The fans have always wanted the team to spend a little for an Alex Tanguay or a Marty Havlat on our first line.

Now we have one. One that plays our system. One that serves as our captain. One that loves playing for us. One that doesn't completely screw our lockerroom. AND one that's not as expensive (this is near what Satan earned pre-paycut).

Not only do I say sign him today, I say continue long term contract negotiations and sign him to a two year extension for a similar amount.

I'd sign him and try to work out a long term deal. So I agree with you totally

Another player who talks the talk and then doesnt walk the walk. He said he wanted to keep the team togethor and he didnt try to hold up his end of the bargain.

What is that suppose to mean?

In fact, Briere could be involved in a "sign-and-trade" within the next couple of days. The two sides are working on a 5-year, $25 million deal that would then see Briere dealt immediately. Montreal, Los Angeles and Atlanta are among the teams in the mix. from:TSN

The real story here is not the award, but the behind the scenes workings on why this was delayed. Giving the parties time to finish what the real story is going to be...Headlines in the next week or so...Briere traded to ? for ?

The "sign & trade" aspect is very interesting. In the radio interview on WGR when Tallinder was signed, Darcy stated that the team COULDN'T renegotiate a long term deal until January after the Arbitrator issued her decision.

I know teams can't extend deals until the player is in the final year of their current contract, but don't know the mechanics of that yet. I had assumed that meant that a team and player could extend a deal anytime after July 1 of the player's final contract season (a hockey year running from July 1 - June 30), but Darcy's comment made me believe that the player had to be in the final calendar year of the contract.

I don't want to see the Sabres lose Danny but will definitely be watching this one closely.

I like your thinking a lot. I just don't know if the Sabres will do it.

The "sign & trade" aspect is very interesting. In the radio interview on WGR when Tallinder was signed, Darcy stated that the team COULDN'T renegotiate a long term deal until January after the Arbitrator issued her decision.

I know teams can't extend deals until the player is in the final year of their current contract, but don't know the mechanics of that yet. I had assumed that meant that a team and player could extend a deal anytime after July 1 of the player's final contract season (a hockey year running from July 1 - June 30), but Darcy's comment made me believe that the player had to be in the final calendar year of the contract.

I don't want to see the Sabres lose Danny but will definitely be watching this one closely.

I'm torn on this one. Briere is one of my favorite players, and I really want to see him back. However, if they re-sign him just to lose him next summer it might not be worth it. They should definately sign him! However, I wouldn't be upset if we got a GOOD trade for him.

HER decision?! Are you just being politically correct, or did some older woman fall in love with that boyish face and let her heart get in the way? :)

I guess I am totally lost as to why this award means Briere must be dealt. I don't get it, and I never will. One percent of the fans will find a way to justify it, and the other 99% will go buy Bills tickets instead.

This decision really limits the Sabres options, which I see as this:

1. Sign him (and this pretty much means you give up a Max and Kotalik to keep within the Clubs economic plan).

2. Sign him and deal him, and you get market value for him as a one year rental this year, before he walks next year.

3. Don't sign him, and get nothing.

4. Don't sign him, and let him become a free agent and then try to re-sign him to a long term deal, in essence gambling that the market will not give him as much as the team was originally offering.

This arbitration trend is bad for the future of all small market teams.

HER decision?! Are you just being politically correct, or did some older woman fall in love with that boyish face and let her heart get in the way? :)

I guess I am totally lost as to why this award means Briere must be dealt. I don't get it, and I never will. One percent of the fans will find a way to justify it, and the other 99% will go buy Bills tickets instead.

I don't want to see him dealt either. If they think they can lock him up to a long term deal in January, then sign him. But if they're just going to lose him next summer, then in the long term it would be better to get something in return.

maybe I'm crazy, but i think we are going to suck it up and keep danny. i have to believe that mgmt appreciates the magnitude of the loss that trading him would represent, and that they knew it was likely that he'd get a big number in arbitration.

now, even if we keep him it's still quite likely that we lose him after this year as a UFA. even so, i think i'd rather keep him for the year than lose him in a salary dump now. we have a real shot this year and i want briere in his contact year leading the way.

i also agree with the statement above that keeping him makes it more likely that we unload some of kotalik, dumont, max, etc.

oh, well.

Briere is one of the key guys, he used the system available to him as approved by both the players and league. I can't bear him any grudges for doing it. I think he's a key guy we should try to sign to some type of longer term contract. In two years, his five million will probably seem cheap when seven million will be the cost for a player.

If Briere refuses a "fair" long-term offer, then we can probably call him a hypocrite.

i also agree with the statement above that keeping him makes it more likely that we unload some of kotalik, dumont, max, etc.

oh, well.

Hard economics.

The organization has stated it is prepared to spend in the neighborhood of $34 million.

If they sign Briere with the intention of keeping him they have only about $14 million left to play with, and perhaps 16 million left if they are able to deal Biron.

With $16 million they have to sign Max, Dumont, Pommenville, Connolley, Lydman, Gaustad, Kalinin, Mair, Miller, Pominville. There is no way they can sign all these guys for a 1.6 million average.

Max was the leading scorer. If Briere got a $5 million decision, what is line for Afinogenov?

You would have to think he has a comparable case in front of an arbitrator.

Sabres' Briere awarded one-year, $5M contract

TORONTO -- Buffalo Sabres captain Daniel Briere was awarded a one-year, $5 million contract by an arbitrator Sunday.

The Sabres have 48 hours to decide whether they will sign Briere or allow him to become an unrestricted free agent.

Briere earned $1.938 million last season, when he had 58 points in 48 games and added 19 points in 18 playoff games.

The 28-year-old Briere is one of a league-high 10 Buffalo players who filed for salary arbitration this summer.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2527682

Max was the leading scorer. If Briere got a $5 million decision, what is line for Afinogenov?

You would have to think he has a comparable case in front of an arbitrator.

Briere's salary is based completely on his points per game numbers. There is no other possible way to back up that figure.

I doubt anyone would be interested in a $5 million one year salary when every team knows a) he will be an UFA next year and b) we need to trade him for salary space. No one would give up anything valuabke for a 1 year rental. If Briere is packaged with, say, Biron, we might get something decent, but Briere alone, I highly doubt we get an even trade.

However, someone made a decent point on another forum: we own his rights for 48 hours after the decision. Perhaps the Sabres are working with another team who is presently negotiating with Briere (through the Sabres) the multi year deal TSN reported. We could trade him before signing him, I believe, during the 48 hour span we own him before he has to sign the arbitated contract. That made sense to me, otherwise, how can TSN report any multi-year deal trade plans with anyone?

Furthermore, the arbitrators are screwing the pooch here. Players are going to end up pricing themselves right out of the league. I think the arbitrators thought thier title meant they were supposed to "arbitrarily" pick salaries...

Archived