Arbitration Alert: Daniel Briere

bruceleeroy

By my calculation the Sabres have just over $24M committed for next year and alot of unsigned players to deal with. That spells only one thing, a fire sale at HSBC Arena unless the team decides to open up the purse stings wider...don't count on it

5 mil? ouch!

I am not surprised, but am disappointed. After York got 2.85, I knew we were in trouble.

Is it still possible we could work out a long term deal, or do the rules not permit that? TSN says we could.

If we could sign him to 5yr/25mil, would you guys be up for paying 5 mil to lock him in long term?

Afinogenov does not have a comparable case.

He had a career season, so a significant pay raise will come, but he has not had the consistent 60-point seasons Briere has had. His ice time is lower. He's not a captain or a leader in the dressing room.

Briere has one more 60 point season than Afinogenov does. I wouldn't call that consistent.

Afinogenov does not have a comparable case.

He had a career season, so a significant pay raise will come, but he has not had the consistent 60-point seasons Briere has had. His ice time is lower. He's not a captain or a leader in the dressing room.

Afinogenov's numbers were slightly better than Todd Bertuzzi's.

His agent would do well to benchmark Bertuzzi's 5.5 million.

I'm not saying I like it but..... if this trend continues he should be

able to get over $4 mil.

The fans have always wanted the team to spend a little for an Alex Tanguay or a Marty Havlat on our first line.

Now we have one. One that plays our system. One that serves as our captain. One that loves playing for us. One that doesn't completely screw our lockerroom. AND one that's not as expensive (this is near what Satan earned pre-paycut).

Not only do I say sign him today, I say continue long term contract negotiations and sign him to a two year extension for a similar amount.

When did Briere become a "star"?

All it takes is one half of a season? The guys career high is 65 points for Christ's sake. Just because the Blackhawks are dumb enough to pay Havlat (who had one decent 30 goal 68 point season out of five)$6 million every other team gets screwed and has to pay?

Neither Briere or Havlat have come close to the production Tanguay has (400 points, a +121). Neither deserve that type of money.

Hell. Peters should have went to arbitration. I sure his 2 goals in 70 games would have gotten him $2 million easy. :angry:

All it takes is one half of a season? The guys career high is 65 points for Christ's sake. Just because the Blackhawks are dumb enough to pay Havlat (who had one decent 30 goal 68 point season out of five)$6 million every other team gets screwed and has to pay?

the larger amrkets have always skewed the playing field...and apparently will continue to do so. so disappointing.

Briere's salary is based completely on his points per game numbers. There is no other possible way to back up that figure.

I with ya.

.686 points per game is worth $5 million? That's a joke.

The Sabres can make up that 56 points a year easy. They can do it cheaper and find a player who doesn't kill you in his own end.

Who knows. maybe they can find someone who will show up in a game 7 with the season on the line.

When this contract is official Briere's new nickname will be B-Rod.

Well, I guess we can all say goodbye to Briere

According to the article, Darcy's been trying to deal him away before the arbitrator made his ruling.

I guess being a team leader and averaging a point per game is worth something these days. Back to the bargain bin for his replacement I guess, Darcy

I with ya.

The Sabres can make up that 56 points a year easy. They can do it cheaper and find a player who doesn't kill you in his own end.

Who knows. maybe they can find someone who will show up in a game 7 with the season on the line.

What's with all the sudden hatred of Briere? You talk about him like he's just an average player or something. We can make up 56 points easy??? If Briere had played all season, he would have had around 90 points...that's not easy to make up. You seem to think we have this never ending pool of talent that we can just keep plugging into the lineup, and that isn't the case. It's true we have many prospects, but so does every other team, and there's no guarentees. With a healthy Briere, I guarentee over 70 points, and that's pretty damn good.

As far as the playoffs, I don't think he played that terribly in game 7, and to me, 19 points in 18 playoff games. He scored the OT game-winner in game 6 to force that game 7.

I'm not saying I know what to do with this situation. Its going to be tough for Darcy. But I'm not going to say that we can lose Briere and we will not drop off at all, and that's what you're acting like.

What's with all the sudden hatred of Briere? You talk about him like he's just an average player or something. We can make up 56 points easy??? If Briere had played all season, he would have had around 90 points...that's not easy to make up. You seem to think we have this never ending pool of talent that we can just keep plugging into the lineup, and that isn't the case. It's true we have many prospects, but so does every other team, and there's no guarentees. With a healthy Briere, I guarentee over 70 points, and that's pretty damn good.

As far as the playoffs, I don't think he played that terribly in game 7, and to me, 19 points in 18 playoff games. He scored the OT game-winner in game 6 to force that game 7.

I'm not saying I know what to do with this situation. Its going to be tough for Darcy. But I'm not going to say that we can lose Briere and we will not drop off at all, and that's what you're acting like.

Actually I think it was 99 points. I don't know what to do with the situation either. I think he is worth the money, but I don't like that it's a 1 year deal. I want him on this team, but if someone is willing to give us a good deal for him, I would definately understand if it was better for the team in the long term.

I'm not surprised they are shopping Briere or wouldn't be willing to cough up that much for one player. But I also think that those who think that you just plug someone else in to fill for him with any guy or guys easily is delusioning himself. I do, however, think that we had a great year last year but looks like we are going to be content to have a team that tries to make the playoffs by getting that 8th spot year after year desperately as the year comes to an end. And, whether they can get that spot will be a chance that the team is going to have to make. Ticket prices eventually have to rise as well. To me it all smacks of we're lucky to still have a team to watch and you're gonna like those fugly uniforms we're going to shove down your throat. And that's that.

I'm not surprised they are shopping Briere or wouldn't be willing to cough up that much for one player. But I also think that those who think that you just plug someone else in to fill for him with any guy or guys easily is delusioning himself. I do, however, think that we had a great year last year but looks like we are going to be content to have a team that tries to make the playoffs by getting that 8th spot year after year desperately as the year comes to an end. And, whether they can get that spot will be a chance that the team is going to have to make. Ticket prices eventually have to rise as well. To me it all smacks of we're lucky to still have a team to watch and you're gonna like those fugly uniforms we're going to shove down your throat. And that's that.

They haven't even made a decision yet!

Also, WGR intimates that the Sabres may have a couple of weeks to deal with this (link is on main page): "According to TSN, the Sabres have 48 hours to accept the settlement or reject it and allow Briere to become an unrestricted free agent. However, the collective bargaining agreement seems to conflict with this report. The club may have until 48 hours after a ruling comes down on its final player to make a decision about each contract awarded through arbitration. Adam Mair's hearing is scheduled for August 4th."

I leave it to Dave to tell us whether WGR or TSN (or both) is wrong.

Yes, and yes. That's how arbitration decisions are deliberated.

Neither Briere or Havlat have come close to the production Tanguay has (400 points, a +121). Neither deserve that type of money.

Playing an entire career until this point next to Joe Sakic for 69+ games every season tends to ensure ones statistical totals. It took Olli Jokinen five seasons before he started consistently high production.

Briere has demonstrated that he can match that production under the new rules without the help of an all star. After he had his midsection cut open, he played 24 games and posted 11 goals, 24 assists, +7. Even in the 18 post season games, Briere had 8 goals and 11 assists.

I'd bet good money that Briere in Buffalo scores more points per game than Tanguay next season.

You know he was talking about this season, ass. It was 58 points over 48 games, or 1.2 points per game, on pace for 99 points for a full campaign.

No it won't, but I wish you luck trying to coin that.

Games four, five and seven 0 points - minus 4.

I hate B-Rod at $5 million a year. He is an average player. One good half of a season doesn't make you a superstar. ;)

The team can be competitive without him. Is it a great choice to have to make? No way.

But with the arbitrators decision, something has to give.

Signing Briere for keeps will mean that others will have to ship out.

Who do you take off of this roster to make room for a $5 mill. salary?

Do you stop rolling 4 lines in order to keep 1 player?

Tough choices, but I think the most underated part of this team is the defense, and

it is best to lock them up and to continue to roll 4 lines. The Sabres didn't win with

exceptional talent, they won with exceptional depth, and they physically wore down the

teams that were 3 line teams with overall better team speed and 4 lines.

Sabres should sign him and move him.

Actually I think it was 99 points. I don't know what to do with the situation either. I think he is worth the money, but I don't like that it's a 1 year deal. I want him on this team, but if someone is willing to give us a good deal for him, I would definately understand if it was better for the team in the long term.

Agreed for sure. A one-year deal will be good if we are going to make one more run with the core of this team in tact. But I think from a long-term standpoint, that it's obviously not worth bring him back for one year if he won't sign a long-term deal. Who knows though, maybe we can work out a long-term deal with him. The biggest problem is that Briere's case came first and if we agree to pay him now (and we have less than 48 hours to decide), will we have enough left in our tight budget to get the other guys signed?

I think it is now clear that at least one of our "top" forwards (Briere, Connolly, Afinogenov, Kotalik) will be gone, and that freakin sucks.

The team can be competitive without him. Is it a great choice to have to make? No way.

But with the arbitrators decision, something has to give.

Signing Briere for keeps will mean that others will have to ship out.

Who do you take off of this roster to make room for a $5 mill. salary?

Do you stop rolling 4 lines in order to keep 1 player?

Tough choices, but I think the most underated part of this team is the defense, and

it is best to lock them up and to continue to roll 4 lines. The Sabres didn't win with

exceptional talent, they won with exceptional depth, and they physically wore down the

teams that were 3 line teams with overall better team speed and 4 lines.

Sabres should sign him and move him.

I agree with you that we could sign him and trade him, that would be ok, but the trade better be a good one and not for draft picks.

It goes back to the old debate on this board, which is over Golisano's money. I've always said that you have to give a little to get a little in terms of putting together a hockey team, and paying more to keep players will help us get back to the playoffs and generate revenue and profit. But I'm telling you, if we lose a few more players between this offseason and the next, there might not be a playoffs.

Like I said a while ago, we can't just keep losing players simply because we refuse to pay them what they're worth (according to the market). Eventually our luck is going to run out with these miracle runs based on plugging players in that magically over-achieve. It isn't a safe plan, and it's one that is sure to fail eventually. I don't really know how to explain it anymore than that. Sure, no player is bigger than the team, but we can't just keep letting everyone walk because they're "too expensive" for Tommy G.

I agree with you that we could sign him and trade him, that would be ok, but the trade better be a good one and not for draft picks.

It goes back to the old debate on this board, which is over Golisano's money. I've always said that you have to give a little to get a little in terms of putting together a hockey team, and paying more to keep players will help us get back to the playoffs and generate revenue and profit. But I'm telling you, if we lose a few more players between this offseason and the next, there might not be a playoffs.

Like I said a while ago, we can't just keep losing players simply because we refuse to pay them what they're worth (according to the market). Eventually our luck is going to run out with these miracle runs based on plugging players in that magically over-achieve. It isn't a safe plan, and it's one that is sure to fail eventually. I don't really know how to explain it anymore than that. Sure, no player is bigger than the team, but we can't just keep letting everyone walk because they're "too expensive" for Tommy G.

Couple thoughts. The team CAN win without Briere. They did pretty well with him out of the lineup during his injury last year. That's not exactly a position I want to be in though.

I'm speculating here, but I am willing to guess that the team is willing to go over their budget a little bit if it means keeping Briere around. Spending $5 million to keep arguably your best offensive player around makes a lot more sense than spending $4 million to keep a #4 defenseman around.

I am going to withhold judgment on this one until I see how the team handles this. I suggest "the sky is falling" crowd to do the same.

Well, I guess we can all say goodbye to Briere

According to the article, Darcy's been trying to deal him away before the arbitrator made his ruling.

I guess being a team leader and averaging a point per game is worth something these days. Back to the bargain bin for his replacement I guess, Darcy

What if he deals him for a good player that will be around more than a year?

They haven't even made a decision yet!

Also, WGR intimates that the Sabres may have a couple of weeks to deal with this (link is on main page): "According to TSN, the Sabres have 48 hours to accept the settlement or reject it and allow Briere to become an unrestricted free agent. However, the collective bargaining agreement seems to conflict with this report. The club may have until 48 hours after a ruling comes down on its final player to make a decision about each contract awarded through arbitration. Adam Mair's hearing is scheduled for August 4th."

I hate to say it, but WGR is correct on this one. (Actually, I'm glad that it works that way, but it just pains me to say WGR was correct about a matter of substance. :P )

Provided the Sabres haven't walked away from too many other arbitration contracts (right now, they'd be able to walk away from 4 total if my math is correct), the Sabres have until 48 hours after either their last decision is rendered or they have agreed to avoid arbitration with the last player still waiting for a hearing to decide whether or not to walk away from Danny's award.

Couple thoughts. The team CAN win without Briere. They did pretty well with him out of the lineup during his injury last year. That's not exactly a position I want to be in though.

I'm speculating here, but I am willing to guess that the team is willing to go over their budget a little bit if it means keeping Briere around. Spending $5 million to keep arguably your best offensive player around makes a lot more sense than spending $4 million to keep a #4 defenseman around.

I am going to withhold judgment on this one until I see how the team handles this. I suggest "the sky is falling" crowd to do the same.

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner! (EDIT: upon further review, Eleven had it 1st. Sorry, Hopeless, but we do have some nice parting gifts for you, including this lovely coffee mug that someone seems to have used to wipe their nose. Can we get a cleanup in Aisle 11? No? Sorry Hopeless, you get what you get.)

Right now we don't know what the Sabres will do on this one or on their other arbitration awards.

But regardless, the Sabres have signed Spacek, Campbell, Tallinder, and supposedly Kotalik to multiyear deals already. Darcy had said a few days ago that he is trying to get a deal w/ Lydman for 3 years.

The signings are good things but don't guarantee a SC championship. Losing Grier and McKee were bad things but don't knock the Sabres into the draft lottery either. Until the middle of August at the earliest, we won't know how this team will look next year.

The sky may not be falling yet... Who's to say that you pay briere his settlement this year, and negotiate a long term (3-4 year) deal in january? It means a SIGNIFICANT increase in payroll, but the tradeoff is that the team should be bringing in a lot more money due to the increase in season ticket sales this year... Plus, factor in some sure sell outs early in the season as opposed to those 8,000 in attendance gems we had in the beginning of last season. I'm not ready to call it a game just yet. I'd like to see how things turn out. Kotalik just signed, tallinder signed the other day, we still have $2 million in dead money with biron... Miller should be signed in the next week or two (hopefully)... It's not over just yet folks.

Archived