Arbitration Alert: Daniel Briere

bruceleeroy

Uh....

Probably when the rules changed big boy.

And you can tell that after a 58 point season? Oh I forget. He was injured. So he should have had 100-200 points <_< Please.

A career 56 point per year player has was 1 good half of a year and you call him a star. Why don't you call Biron a star? He would have had 49 wins last season if he played every game. :lol:

Well, unless the player is a team leader and able to put up 100+ points for alot cheaper, I would still be pissed Danny is gone.

He is the heart and Sole of this team, (oh wait, he may end up leaving, now he sucks, he was never good, lets replace him with someone from Rochester) and replacing him WILL NOT BE EASY

And you can tell that after a 58 point season? Oh I forget. He was injured. So he should have had 100-200 points <_< Please.

A career 56 point per year player has was 1 good half of a year and you call him a star.

So Briere would have spent the rest of last season actually losing 2 points just because he is a 56 point per year player? Did you know Briere is still pretty young and just coming into his game? He isn't some 35 year old journeymen who has never put up high point per year numbers.

So Briere would have spent the rest of last season actually losing 2 points just because he is a 56 point per year player? Did you know Briere is still pretty young and just coming into his game? He isn't some 35 year old journeymen who has never put up high point per year numbers.

He's 28 with a career high of 65 points.

He has had 1 good 1/2 of a season.

How does that = $5 million a year.

Please explain. I have proven that I am willing to change when proven wrong. Why don't you try :D

Well, unless the player is a team leader and able to put up 100+ points for alot cheaper, I would still be pissed Danny is gone.

100+ points? how many times has danny done that? um, never. until he puts up 100+ (which I don't think he'll ever do) there's no point in saying we need a 100+ guy to replace him.

don't get me wrong, i think briere is great and think it's a huge mistake if he goes, but at the same time, he is replaceable. no one is irreplaceable.

He's 28 with a career high of 65 points.

He has had 1 good 1/2 of a season.

How does that = $5 million a year.

Please explain. I have proven that I am willing to change when proven wrong. Why don't you try :D

Well like everyone has said, he is a co-captain of this team and a lockerroom leader so that counts for something, that fact you seem to have a problem with believing is that he was having a season where he was on pace for 90-100 points. He was averaging 1+ points a game. He's 28, which is not old in the NHL and is getting better every year. He was probably the top player on the team last year and the biggest part of the core of this team. What else does he have to do for you? Should he be earning the veteran minimum just because he had a sports hernia last year?

Briere has kind of let me down on this.

He talked of how he loved the team and wanted a long term deal to stay. IF the numbers were $4/4.5 million over 4 years from the Sabres, and he rejected that, then I'm sorry. He's 100% hypocrite.

People can say the team nickeled and dimed, I'll say he did. If he wants the team to remain fairly intact over last year, then what the hell is he doing turning an offer like that down??

100+ points? how many times has danny done that? um, never. until he puts up 100+ (which I don't think he'll ever do) there's no point in saying we need a 100+ guy to replace him.

don't get me wrong, i think briere is great and think it's a huge mistake if he goes, but at the same time, he is replaceable. no one is irreplaceable.

No one is irreplacable? We'll have to see about that one.

Briere was in pace for 90-100 points last year so and a team leader so I would expect someone who can atleast put up 90-100 points for Briere to even consider it a fair trade, he also is a team leader and a fan favorite.

No one is irreplacable? We'll have to see about that one.

Briere was in pace for 90-100 points last year so and a team leader so I would expect someone who can atleast put up 90-100 points for Briere to even consider it a fair trade, he also is a team leader and a fan favorite.

Why?

The Sabres didn't have a 90-100 point player last season and were the best team in hockey. :blink:

Call me old fashion. But I prefer that hockey players who are considered 100 point stars actually at somepoint in their career obtain 100 points in a season.

Enough with the lame prorated crap.

If Briere wants big time scorer money? Then his career high has to be better then 65 points. <_<

Deluca, I understand your view on this whole thing, but why do you keep downplaying how well Briere played while he was actually healthy last year? Yes, we don't know how he would've done in the 34 games he missed, but the 48 he did play were very good. I don't think he's worthy of $5 million (yet), but you're going about this the wrong way, making yourself look like an ass.

I'd have to argue that Rip Simonick is irreplaceable :D That guy is like the premier equipment manager and has been with the team forever

SOMETHING STINKS WITH THIS ARBITRATOR!

I don't see how they came up with this $5 million dollar figure.

It's totally wrong. I love Briere, but he hasn't scored 100 pts.

since '96-97 with Drummondville of the QEHL. His career

high points is 65 pts. $5 million for a 5'8, 65 point guy with

injury worries?

http://nhlpa.com/WebStats/PlayerBiography.asp?ID=6163

He talked of how he loved the team and wanted a long term deal to stay. IF the numbers were $4/4.5 million over 4 years from the Sabres, and he rejected that, then I'm sorry. He's 100% hypocrite.

You do realize that a hockey player's career is short and they have to make hay when the sun shines. If you were only going to work for maybe another 10 years if you were lucky, would you accept 80% of what you were worth? Doubt it.

You do realize that a hockey player's career is short and they have to make hay when the sun shines. If you were only going to work for maybe another 10 years if you were lucky, would you accept 80% of what you were worth? Doubt it.

Then why make the comments? Look, don't tell me you're going to give me "the tools to finish the job", not do anything of the sort, and expect fans not to call BS.

It's the same with Danny. Granted we don't know all the facts, but under the scenario proposed by rickshaw, Danny would absolutely be a hypocrite. NOT for taking the money/deal, but for making the comments he made THEN taking the money/deal.

Then why make the comments? Look, don't tell me you're going to give me "the tools to finish the job", not do anything of the sort, and expect fans not to call BS.

It's the same with Danny. Granted we don't know all the facts, but under the scenario proposed by rickshaw, Danny would absolutely be a hypocrite. NOT for taking the money/deal, but for making the comments he made THEN taking the money/deal.

Well in his defense, he can't exactly turn down the deal now that the decision has been made.

Well in his defense, he can't exactly turn down the deal now that the decision has been made.

Agreed...And until all the facts come out, we can't judge anyone. For all we know, the Sabres gave Danny the Peca Pickle.

All I was trying to say is that in rickshaw's scenario, Briere is a hypocrite (IMO).

That's true but if that is the attitude then he needs to shut up and stop taking shots at the Sabres about keeping the team together and the way they do business.

I don't hate Briere, I'm not going to try to tear him down as a player and I do not blame him for trying to get the best deal for himself. But in this story ... http://www.niagara-gazette.com/sports/gnns..._204224035.html ... AFTER the $5 million is awarded, he is still taking it personal, saying "if they want to do business like that it goes both ways.? Yeah, Danny, it does go both ways, so stop spewing the BS about how you want to keep the team together. You are going to do what's best for YOU, and the team is going to do what is best for them, and if they are not the same, you really don't care about keeping the team together, do you? I don't think the $5 million is all that unfair given some of the other deals out there, but if he had signed a long-term deal where the first year was $4 million and gradually went up over $5 million by the end, I think that would have been just as fair and showed he was serious.

Whatever the case, I think most people knew there was no way the Sabres were going to be able to keep it all together and also do a deal with Miller to keep him around long-term. But it is scaring people that Briere might be the one to go. I think most expected Max and/or Kotalik and/or Dumont might be sacrificed, but the idea of losing Briere has everyone really mad, and I understand that. I don't think it would be the end of the world, but I want to see Max's number first ... if they have to trade Briere just to keep Max around at $4 million, that will suck, I'd much rather let Max go and keep Briere.

The frustrating thing is that no matter what happens, it is killing all the momentum and excitement going into next season and they will again be fighting an uphill battle with many fans to start the season. But if you lose a star like that it happens. And while DeLuca can argue he isn't that good, the perception of the fans is that he is a star. I am kind of in the middle on it, I think he is pretty damn good but they showed they can win without him ... and Miller is soon going to want his money, and I say pay the guy in the most important position.

On a slightly tangential issue -- am I crazy, or is there zero coverage in the buff. news today on Briere? And has the overall coverage in the News of the FA/arbitration period totally sucked? WTF? What else are they covering?

is it possible to get more than just head shots on the two sabre fans on the top of this screen? and does the HSBC tower imply some sort of 'symbolism' in light of these two 'sabre' fans?

on a side note, i don't think any reasonable conclusion can be made on this ruling until the dust settles. does he get signed, traded, become a UFA, or sign for a better deal in the Iron League? Speculation is fun, like playing fantasty GM, but let's see what happens before annoiting Briere the next moneygrab and Darcy and Tommy G the evil empire.

On a slightly tangential issue -- am I crazy, or is there zero coverage in the buff. news today on Briere? And has the overall coverage in the News of the FA/arbitration period totally sucked? WTF? What else are they covering?

One of the four annual Tiger slobbering events was this weekend, and Bills training camp is less than 4 months away...

We still haven't heard comments from the sky is falling crowd on how they would feel if the team got a good deal on Briere. What if the team can get a player in return that will be around for more than 1 year?

That would be great, but again, what's the price tag on that?

EDIT: I heard the GR morning guys talking about a Bucky Gleason column in today's paper, but it's not showing up on the Buffalo News website.

Archived