2024 Conference Finals

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Excuse me? The Titans?

I can't tell if you're on the right side or wrong side of this issue.

In the most lenient terms, the Titans got it "just close enough" for some part-time bozos to not say anything.

16 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Hate the Oilers because they were literally gifted McDavid for being inept and thus causing the lottery system to be implemented and modified by winning it 4 out of 6 years I believe. Meanwhile we have yet to move up once in a draft after 13 years of suffering.

Dallas Stars the franchise is not going to get any sympathy or happiness from me. I do have conciliatory feelings though if they win thanks to Pavelski.

Florida has multiple former Sabres but also resides in our division so eh.

The Rangers, my only strong feelings I have is that it was absurd we lost a home game to “host” them at Citi Field

That was a weird game... was there, it was brr cold... O'Reilly ding one off the cross bar that went so high everyone lost track of it and landed in front of the net... fun game..

I am rooting probably for Rangers as I am now local but really dont care except to watch good hockey.

3 hours ago, hockey said:

(If I haven't drunkenly posted this here before, then I've at least drunkenly ranted about it in the Southtowns)

Every team in every sport can complain about injuries unless they're incredibly lucky.
But let's take another look at the playoff run of the 05/06 Hurricanes.
Before they played us: they probably had some minor injuries, I don't care.
When they played us: we were leading 2-1 into the 3rd period of a Game 7 when we were down to our 10th or 12th D-man, which had been affecting the whole series.
The Canes win, go into the Finals against the 8-seed Oilers who had gotten super-hot. 
The Oilers take a big lead in Game 1, but then their hot goalie gets injured (in a crease collision with Canes). 
The Oilers put in the wrong back-up and lose Game 1.
They put in the better back up and then force 7 games.  The Hurricanes win Game 7.
Carolina beat a few AHL teams for the Stanley Cup - screw them.

Except for some minor adjustments due to play, not injuries in the 1st round, the Canes never had to change their roster until the very end of the SCF when they managed to activate Eric Cole as the injury replacement.  That was an unworldly run of good injury luck.

Plus, they were going to lose to the Habs in round 1 until Justin Williams high sticked Koivu in the eye costing him the rest of the series.  Habs didn't win another game after Saku was unavailable.

• Thanks (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I don't care who wins tonight. My question is who gets in the first major cheap shot, Bennet or Trouba? 

Ya, of the 4 remaining teams there’s no one to root for 

Uninspiring final 4 for sure, not even sure the hockey will be exciting 

Good teams definitely though, maybe the 4 best  

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Thorny said:

3 of 4 division winners and the one that wasn't has the best player on the planet and one of the other handful of best players on the planet AND got to face a division winner with their 3rd string goalie right now.

Strong case can be made for at least 3 of the 4 and at this moment in time, all 4.  With all due respect to the team from your hometown, would say if it isn't those 4 the straggler has to be 1 or 2 of Colorado, Vegas, or the Canes.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Taro T said:

3 of 4 division winners and the one that wasn't has the best player on the planet and one of the other handful of best players on the planet AND got to face a division winner with their 3rd string goalie right now.

Strong case can be made for at least 3 of the 4 and at this moment in time, all 4.  With all due respect to the team from your hometown, would say if it isn't those 4 the straggler has to be 1 or 2 of Colorado, Vegas, or the Canes.

No respect needed 

• Haha (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Well I don't care who wins but I disagree on the hockey and the excitement. In the west you have a classic offense vs. defense match up and in the east you have two balanced teams with both star power and high level meanness and grit. They should be well matched and thus the hockey close and interesting. 

There's no underdog here, it's the 4 best left. Edmonton is the weakest and I'd argue Vegas was better than them but that's how match ups go. Vegas Dallas might end up being the best series of all of them when it's all over. 

6 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well I don't care who wins but I disagree on the hockey and the excitement. In the west you have a classic offense vs. defense match up and in the east you have two balanced teams with both star power and high level meanness and grit. They should be well matched and thus the hockey close and interesting. 

There's no underdog here, it's the 4 best left. Edmonton is the weakest and I'd argue Vegas was better than them but that's how match ups go. Vegas Dallas might end up being the best series of all of them when it's all over. 

Rangers have always been like watching paint dry and Paul Maurice coached teams are unfailingly insufferable.

I’m biased against Dallas and Edmonton admittedly but Dallas is always boring with their defensive style 

So that leaves Edmonton and Canadian teams stink so..🤷‍♂️

6 hours ago, Thorny said:

With all due respect, Edmonton is in no way one of the 4 best teams.

4 hours ago, French Collection said:

I’m kind of in Sam’s corner and I’ve always liked Maurice’s candour.

I guess that makes me a Florida bandwagon jumper. 

No real emotion for KO one way or another, definitely not the Ray Bourque vibes.

I kinda like FLA style. Also wouldn't mind seeing Maurice win a Cup. 

21 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I can’t believe I watched that whole game without falling asleep 

Lol.  I slept from the first intermission to about 3 minutes left in the second period.  I win!  😄 

15 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Florida’s forecheck is brutal. The Rangers will have to figure something different. 

I want to see the Sabres play that style.  All those young legs oughta be able to pull it off.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

27 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I want to see the Sabres play that style.  All those young legs oughta be able to pull it off.

This is what I've been asking for a couple of years. We have size and speed, we should be playing a heavy forecheck style for success. We haven't though. Maybe that changes with Ruff. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

This is what I've been asking for a couple of years. We have size and speed, we should be playing a heavy forecheck style for success. We haven't though. Maybe that changes with Ruff. 

My thought exactly.

• Like (+1) 1

I watched casually... FLA looked superior in almost every way.

I expect some adjustments and maybe a little bit more of a push, but FLA is the better team so far. 

My prediction of FLA vs Edm is still alive. But not likely