2024 NHL Playoffs - ROUND TWO

Remember when the Sabres decided they had no use for E-Rod?

Remember when they decided Montour was garbage and had to go?

Wonderful management we've had over the years and when you watch these guys filling their roles in solid fashion on other teams you have to come to realize it's never been the players (as a whole), it's always been the coaching. This is why Ruff excites me and gives me a little hope. No, he's not the best coach but he's a real NHL coach. We haven't actually had a real experienced NHL coach since.......well, since Ruff. (I don't count Nolan V2 cause that was a screw job tank and no coach could deal with that).

Looks like Bruins will be out in 5. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

and watching Zadorov in these playoffs you have to add him in. Here's the very guy most of us think our D desperately needs/lacks and we'd drafted him. He could have been a lifetime Sabres but no, we didn't think he was worth having either. Geniuses, just total geniuses. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Angry 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

15 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

and watching Zadorov in these playoffs you have to add him in. Here's the very guy most of us think our D desperately needs/lacks and we'd drafted him. He could have been a lifetime Sabres but no, we didn't think he was worth having either. Geniuses, just total geniuses. 

While I agree that the Sabres gave up on lots and lots of good players. Look at the reason -  Continuous incompetent hockey operations and coaching.  It’s been constant change since Pegula took over. 

Nolan was doomed. Bylsma and Kruger were NHL flashes in the pan.  Housley was an ex-Sabre wet-dream. 

All the GMs were first timers and they all eventually got rid of their predecessor’s players.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

While I agree that the Sabres gave up on lots and lots of good players. Look at the reason -  Continuous incompetent hockey operations and coaching.  It’s been constant change since Pegula took over. 

Nolan was doomed. Bylsma and Kruger were NHL flashes in the pan.  Housley was an ex-Sabre wey-dream. 

All the GMs were first timer and tge all git rid of their predecessor’s players.  

You can’t blame 5he same guy for Zadorov, 

That's what I was saying. We haven't had a real NHL coach since Ruff and now it's Ruff again. But the list in between is laughable. Same for GMs. All green and full of mistakes and then they have to work with a meddling owner. 

Just saying every year in the playoffs we see ex Sabres doing just fine. The list of mistakes is LONG. 

• Like (+1) 3

So was at the Amerks game and forgot to DVR the Panthers/Bruins game. Just read the box score and couldn't believe what I saw. Florida 6 goals, 4 by ex-Sabres. I mean, just wtf has been going on in Buffalo? Never seen so much ineptitude for so long. 

1 hour ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Seeing all former Sabres on these playoff teams thriving just shows how inept our front offices have been for quite a long time. I really hope things change for the better from here on out.

Just read this after I made my post. We are def on the same page brother. 

• Agree 3

2 minutes ago, Claude Balls said:

So was at the Amerks game and forgot to DVR the Panthers/Bruins game. Just read the box score and couldn't believe what I saw. Florida 6 goals, 4 by ex-Sabres. I mean, just wtf has been going on in Buffalo? Never seen so much ineptitude for so long. 

Just read this after I made my post. We are def on the same page brother. 

Zadorov was great in the Vancouver/Oilers game also. Ullmark last year for the Bruins and the ***** show never ends.

• Agree 2

Just now, GoPuckYourself said:

Zadorov was great in the Vancouver/Oilers game also. Ullmark last year for the Bruins and the ***** show never ends.

Yup, it's pretty ***** laughable at this point. But don't worry, KA hired a new "experienced" coach. Don't get me wrong, Ruff was the best caoch the Sabres have had since the 90's. Pretty sure nothing has changed since then. ***** joke. 

11 minutes ago, Claude Balls said:

Yup, it's pretty ***** laughable at this point. But don't worry, KA hired a new "experienced" coach. Don't get me wrong, Ruff was the best caoch the Sabres have had since the 90's. Pretty sure nothing has changed since then. ***** joke. 

I know it's easy to criticize the Ruff hire but he is the first real NHL coach since himself so if you want to stay a fan you have to take that hope. He did pretty well with NJ when they had some goaltending. I think he understands the current game pretty well. 

Honestly if Ruff doesn't work out what's left? Nothing but a Pegula sale and that likely won't happen.

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I always liked him.  He’s been really really good.  

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I know it's easy to criticize the Ruff hire but he is the first real NHL coach since himself so if you want to stay a fan you have to take that hope. He did pretty well with NJ when they had some goaltending. I think he understands the current game pretty well. 

Honestly if Ruff doesn't work out what's left? Nothing but a Pegula sale and that likely won't happen.

I still have hope, and actually the most hope I've had since Ruff was last here. I really hope the game hasn't passed him by. But when Adams said, I'm not bringing Appert up, I'm looking for a HC with NHL experience. Last person I thought of was Lindy Ruff. He obviously didn't look too hard. But I'm still here, have always loved Lindy, and we'll just wait and see how it plays out. I'm hoping for the best.

BTW, does Lindy still have a house in Buffalo? I thought he still lived there in the off-seasson.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Claude Balls said:

I still have hope, and actually the most hope I've had since Ruff was last here. I really hope the game hasn't passed him by. But when Adams said, I'm not bringing Appert up, I'm looking for a HC with NHL experience. Last person I thought of was Lindy Ruff. He obviously didn't look too hard. But I'm still here, have always loved Lindy, and we'll just wait and see how it plays out. I'm hoping for the best.

BTW, does Lindy still have a house in Buffalo? I thought he still lived there in the off-seasson.

Yes, if I'm not mistaken it's just down the road from Tuch's. I think they could car pool .

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Seeing all former Sabres on these playoff teams thriving just shows how inept our front offices have been for quite a long time. I really hope things change for the better from here on out.

Hagel, who they didn’t even offer a contract to has done OK.

36 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Hagel, who they didn’t even offer a contract to has done OK.

Sheesh, there have been so many I forgot about him. Evander Kane as well if you want to go back some years. We truly are a farm team for other top organizarions and people wonder why it's been so negative around here at times, imo it's much deserved.

Edited by GoPuckYourself

11 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Wonderful management we've had over the years and when you watch these guys filling their roles in solid fashion on other teams you have to come to realize it's never been the players (as a whole), it's always been the coaching. This is why Ruff excites me and gives me a little hope. No, he's not the best coach but he's a real NHL coach. We haven't actually had a real experienced NHL coach since.......well, since Ruff. (I don't count Nolan V2 cause that was a screw job tank and no coach could deal with that).

I could blame the Sabres for a lot of things but moving on From Even Rodrigues is not one of them. He is a hard tryer but never has been a high output scorer. His best season was in Pittsburgh were he scored 43 points in 82 games. That did enough to get him a decent contract with Florida. He is just a cog in the Panther line up. I don't think we would have wanted to wait the 7 or 8 NHL seasons for him to get to where he is today. There are a lot of guys like him. To me he is an older Peyton Krebs. 

6 minutes ago, Jorcus said:

I could blame the Sabres for a lot of things but moving on From Even Rodrigues is not one of them. He is a hard tryer but never has been a high output scorer. His best season was in Pittsburgh were he scored 43 points in 82 games. That did enough to get him a decent contract with Florida. He is just a cog in the Panther line up. I don't think we would have wanted to wait the 7 or 8 NHL seasons for him to get to where he is today. There are a lot of guys like him. To me he is an older Peyton Krebs. 

Agree.

He’s become decent but he’s not the bottom six type the Sabres need. He’s definitely the opposite of the Panthers identity. Reinhart is not gritty but he doesn’t back down and has way more skill.

Okposo looks slow and struggles to bring any playoff intensity to that lineup.

5 minutes ago, ... said:

Okposo is prolly having the time of his life right now.

Going deep into the playoffs, without having any pressure to contribute, provide leadership and deal with the media.

On the road without your wife and kids.

Could be worse.

5 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Going deep into the playoffs, without having any pressure to contribute, provide leadership and deal with the media.

On the road without your wife and kids.

Could be worse.

And most of all, he has a real chance to hoist the Cup for the first time.  

14 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Don't forget guys like Zadorov, McNabb, and Tyler Myers. The list is extensive.  We are truly the development squad for the rest of the league.

Edited by Gatorman0519
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Jorcus said:

You miss the point though. He was never supposed to be a "high output scorer". He's a role player. A competent bottom six player, and what are we all saying this year (and last), "we need to improve the bottom 6" so why? Because we haven't built a roster over the years with our own mix of decent bottom six players. 

Yes, he's an older Peyton Krebs. At this point still better than Peyton Krebs, so why the F did we have to have a Peyton Krebs as part of a trade of our superstar? Do you get my point now? We keep creating our own holes. 

We now have a hole at 3C because we traded Mitts for a defenseman that is really just a softer version of Brandon Montour. This is why we do not get better.

• Like (+1) 1

So it’s the time of the year where we complain about how good the players are that we couldn’t wait to run out of town when they were here?

Hmm…Krebs can definitely be ERod, different position, but Owen Power can be Reinhart (smart, but way too soft), UPL is Ullmark, Cozens for Mittelstadt, Greenway for Carrier, Skinner for Montour (skill, consistency issues, punchable face), gotta reach a bit for Jokiharju, but you guys are good. You’ll come up with something.