OT - IIHF worlds 24

12 hours ago, French Collection said:

Heading to the rink.

Finland vs Austria then Canada vs Norway.

The beer in Czechia was really hyped up and it is excellent.

Enjoy the Austria game? A literal buzzer beater GWG for Austria.

10 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Epic collapse. Binnington only had 20 shots. The D was porous as well.

The Austria fans partied outside afterwards, beating drums and singing songs. Some of them followed me on the subway, drums and all. They kept on singing.

Wearing a Canada jersey got me some funny looks from locals too. Their eyes were saying ‘so much for this hockey power’.

The most fun was in the fan zone, outside, between games. Huge beer garden and every country was represented. Poles, Ukrainians, Finns, Swedes, Norwegians and Czechs wanted to pose with us.

I was approached by a Finnish fan who wanted to trade jerseys. He had a nice white one but I declined because my Iginla is signed by Jarome.

Next time I will bring one I am willing to trade and get a cool international keepsake.

Pretty sure I walked by a bunch of wives and girlfriends at the airport today. There were some Hockey Canada officials there with about 8 beautiful girls.

On my way home now. I would love to do this again, maybe Scandinavia.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

11 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Sorry I messed up my earlier response.

Yeah the Finnish fans were devastated . They got so hammered in the beer gardens after that one. That was a crazy game. Austri’s best showing so far.

• Haha (+1) 1

20 hours ago, dudacek said:

We think so.

it was basically the same with all wheat products over your way: pasta, bread etc.

Makes her sick over here, but she was in her glory over there; spent 10 weeks last summer

Lucky she was walking so much, otherwise she probably would have needed a new wardrobe. 😁

I could go on about beer and the process of making it.  The Reinheitsgebot is a purity law but it means you use water, hops, barley.  It doesn't mean the barley is good, or the water, etc.  It was put in place to reduce competition for wheat and rye which bakers needed.  Both wheat and rye being incredible ingredients in the use of beer including a very common German beer style of Hefeweizen (for wheat specifically).

I would think the allergic reaction would come from the chemicals that might appear in the barley based on how it was grown and farmed. This would cover similar items such as wheat as the United States allows certain pesticides and other chemicals that Europe does not.

Hop bitterness can be alleviated by the type of hop and length of addition to the boil.  Hop bitterness is generally attributed to the IPA world but also stouts.  That said, IPAs also have hop flavoring additions which is what brings about the floral aromas.  Fruitiness can be induced either through the yeast strain used and temperature of fermentation.. or, if you are talking about the fruit slushy "sour" beers that dominate the scene.. it's from fruit puree dumped into the beer.  Certainly other lighter fruit additions happen in other beers to steer clear of the "puree" look.

ANyway.. how about that hockey?

35 minutes ago, French Collection said:

More of a hard stick to the groin than a slash. Showing some Pronger tendencies right there.

Bo’s got more of mean streak than this board recognizes.

In a perfect world he ends up Duncan Keith. Same size, similar approach.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Bo’s got more of mean streak than this board recognizes.

In a perfect world he ends up Duncan Keith. Same size, similar approach.

Keith played with some edge for a smallish Dman. That would be a great ceiling for him to hit.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1