Ryan Johnson, how a coaching staff screwed up by wasting a good a player

LGR4GM

1 hour ago, Crusader1969 said:

what the heck does this mean?  are you saying Savoie who just led the WHL in Pts/game isnt excellent

Or Kulich who has 51 goals in the AHL before the age of 20?? 

btw here is the list of goals by prospects under the age of 20 in the AHL

1) Kulich 51 G (119GP)

2) Nylander   32 (75GP)

3) Fiala     29  (70GP)

4) Peterka    28 (7gp)

how is this not excellent?

What I am saying is I don't give a FLYING F#CK about how many great prospects we have or their stats or how our cupboard is full (again) or any of that. All I care about is what's on the NHL roster and about the Sabres making and winning in the playoffs. 

If salivating over future prospects gives you some solace and relief from having to endure the longest non playoff streak in pro sports well good for you, but to me it's meaningless. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Looking at the complete player, I'd rank Quinn 4th in his draft class. There's nothing on the ice he can't do. 

Get back to me when he actually does it. 

I'm not saying he won't, just that he really hasn't done that much yet. Let's see if he can stay healthy first. 

• Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I'm not saying he won't, just that he really hasn't done that much yet. Let's see if he can stay healthy first. 

I mean, if you ignore the 100 games he's played, then this statement might be still not true. 

• Eyeroll 1

4 hours ago, xzy89c1 said:

Should have spent year in Rochester. Nothing was shown by him in his callup to think he will be anything but league average defenseman. As we have Dahlin, Byrum and Power, there is no room for a non physical average defender. We need aggression and defense from the other three defenders. 

Still wish we would have taken draft pick instead of signing him. He does nothing above average and is deficient as defensive player and lacks physicality.

At the time the Sabres signed Ryan Johnson, Owen Power had 8 NHL games and Byram was not on the team.  

Does that matter, or did you look two seasons ahead for this insightful analysis?  

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

What I am saying is I don't give a FLYING F#CK about how many great prospects we have or their stats or how our cupboard is full (again) or any of that. All I care about is what's on the NHL roster and about the Sabres making and winning in the playoffs. 

If salivating over future prospects gives you some solace and relief from having to endure the longest non playoff streak in pro sports well good for you, but to me it's meaningless. 

Get back to me when he actually does it. 

Then why didn't you say this from the start?  You started by saying "Too many of the same/similar guy. This is pretty much Adam's draft history."  Which really has nothing to do with what you are trying to say. 
anyways.  Let's move on. 

1 hour ago, Crusader1969 said:

Then why didn't you say this from the start?  You started by saying "Too many of the same/similar guy. This is pretty much Adam's draft history."  Which really has nothing to do with what you are trying to say. 
anyways.  Let's move on. 

See, this is the problem with the internet. People like you get caught up on a word or a sentence and nitpick it without making an effort to try to understand the general idea. If we were talking in a bar or coffee shop we'd smooth it out in seconds. But on the internet, oh no, everybody's got to go balls out crazy critic of every word. 

So yes, let's move on. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Pimlach said:

At the time the Sabres signed Ryan Johnson, Owen Power had 8 NHL games and Byram was not on the team.  

Does that matter, or did you look two seasons ahead for this insightful analysis?  

Analysis of players we have is obviously as of today. 

Wishing we took draft pick was obviously for back when we signed him. 

Quite a leap you took there...

33 minutes ago, xzy89c1 said:

Analysis of players we have is obviously as of today. 

Wishing we took draft pick was obviously for back when we signed him. 

Quite a leap you took there...

No, the leap is in the current situation affecting past decisions when there was no way to know the current situation.

If something gives, I kind of hope it's not moving Ryan Johnson.  I think he will be a steady defender for quite a while.  Because he's played a full college career, he's really a mature prospect ready for big NHL minutes.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Doohickie said:

No, the leap is in the current situation affecting past decisions when there was no way to know the current situation.

If something gives, I kind of hope it's not moving Ryan Johnson.  I think he will be a steady defender for quite a while.  Because he's played a full college career, he's really a mature prospect ready for big NHL minutes.

good grief. reading comprehension. Was not implying time travel solution.

There is nothing in his play that implies he will ever be ready for big nhl minutes. He has no above average tools and is below average in physical play and aggression. Bryson type guy.

I think you're underselling him.

In limited minutes at the NHL level, he's looked competent and composed.  He makes the smart play.  For all the hotdogging by Dahlin and the other top guys, we need good, no-nonsense Dmen to keep them out of trouble, and Johnson is one.

38 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I think you're underselling him.

In limited minutes at the NHL level, he's looked competent and composed.  He makes the smart play.  For all the hotdogging by Dahlin and the other top guys, we need good, no-nonsense Dmen to keep them out of trouble, and Johnson is one.

Love the hotdogging use.  I have no problem with Ryan Johnson.  The problem is they have 4 of him that are as good or better.  They need someone that’ll belt ya. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen an NHL d-core so averse to hitting. Ok Clifton might stick ya and Samuelsson uses his body (to his own detriment) but the rest could care less if they touch another human when the play the game of hockey.  I want my Dmen to thirst for that open ice hit.  Waiting at the blue line to knock someone into next week. 

Instead we got 7 guys that want to dance and play twister.  It’s disgraceful and not what blue collar fans from WNY want to see.  How hard is it for anyone involved in the organization to recognize this and make amends? 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, inkman said:

Love the hotdogging use.  I have no problem with Ryan Johnson.  The problem is they have 4 of him that are as good or better.  They need someone that’ll belt ya. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen an NHL d-core so averse to hitting. Ok Clifton might stick ya and Samuelsson uses his body (to his own detriment) but the rest could care less if they touch another human when the play the game of hockey.  I want my Dmen to thirst for that open ice hit.  Waiting at the blue line to knock someone into next week. 

Instead we got 7 guys that want to dance and play twister.  It’s disgraceful and not what blue collar fans from WNY want to see.  How hard is it for anyone involved in the organization to recognize this and make amends? 

I dont think you should speak for an entire region and i would argue they mostly want to see a winning team   look back at the 05-06 team, not exactly the broad street bullies but they are the most revered team in franchise history.

Was Gilbert Perreault a blue collar player? Lafointaine or Mogliny ? 

16 minutes ago, inkman said:

Dahlin is willing to throw a hit. And might’ve thrown the hardest hits on the entire roster the past few seasons. As defenders, collectively they do need to run folks out against the boards, box out and fight for position and clear the view for their goalie, stick check, and clear the crease better. That’s on all 7 and the coaching. Look no further than their games against Dallas.

The larger issue for hitting is they have no forwards who finish hard body checks. There is no one on this roster who makes opposing defensemen rush a pass. There are good and dogged forecheckers, yes, but no one who will wear down a defenseman through pain and attrition.

1 hour ago, inkman said:

Sorry I have to do this, but this just perpetuates the annoying myth Dahlin is Inge Hammarstrom.

How many people know Dahlin was 16th in the entire league in hits by defencemen last year?

26th in penalty minutes?

3rd in penalties drawn?

He’s involved in every aspect of the game, mixing it up and getting under people’s skin on a regular basis, and it seems like people just refuse to notice.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

I dont think you should speak for an entire region and i would argue they mostly want to see a winning team   look back at the 05-06 79-80 team, not exactly the broad street bullies but they are the most revered team in franchise history.

ftfy - 😝

55 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Was Gilbert Perreault a blue collar player?

he did reportedly give us the motto of "forecheck, backcheck, paycheck."

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Lafointaine or Mogliny ? 

Mogilny smoked like a 210 labourer.

Okay - jokes are over. I too think that the HIT SOMEONE trope for our D-corps is overstated. Just be good.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Sorry I have to do this, but this just perpetuates the annoying myth Dahlin is Inge Hammarstrom.

How many people know Dahlin was 16th in the entire league in hits by defencemen last year?

26th in penalty minutes?

3rd in penalties drawn?

He’s involved in every aspect of the game, mixing it up and getting under people’s skin on a regular basis, and it seems like people just refuse to notice.

He plays physical. I’ll give you that.  I want open ice hits.  ***** even some dirty ones into the boards.  If we are going to have Byram, Joki, Power and Johnson all on the team along with Dahlin and Samuelsson mixing Clifton in, that is one soft D.  At least move out Joki for someone way more physical than what we have.  Or a blockbuster trade involving Power.  That could solve it instantly.  Get someone physical up front via trade.  Sign some Neanderthal that decks people to fill out the D core. 

19 minutes ago, inkman said:

He plays physical. I’ll give you that.  I want open ice hits.  ***** even some dirty ones into the boards.  If we are going to have Byram, Joki, Power and Johnson all on the team along with Dahlin and Samuelsson mixing Clifton in, that is one soft D.  At least move out Joki for someone way more physical than what we have.  Or a blockbuster trade involving Power.  That could solve it instantly.  Get someone physical up front via trade.  Sign some Neanderthal that decks people to fill out the D core. 

I’m with you on the gist of your post.

Its just the Dahlin oversight that bugs me. People who don’t watch him think he’s some kind of Lady Byng candidate and knock him down the list accordingly.

The fact if the matter is he gives you an element the other top offensive defencemen don’t.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Its just the Dahlin oversight that bugs me. People who don’t watch him think he’s some kind of Lady Byng candidate and knock him down the list accordingly.

The fact if the matter is he gives you an element the other top offensive defencemen don’t.

I like the physical stuff he does.  Sometimes sneaky dirty.  More if it would be nice.  Maybe Lindy will encourage it. 

51 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I think he is the best reverse hitter since Forsberg.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

26th in penalty minutes?

3rd in penalties drawn?

Don't mess with the "narrative."

1 hour ago, inkman said:

I want open ice hits.

I want effective defense.  Nothing more, nothing less.  You want big hits?  Here.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Mogilny smoked like a 210 labourer.

Okay - jokes are over. I too think that the HIT SOMEONE trope for our D-corps is overstated. Just be good.

Bert likewise smoked

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

I dont think you should speak for an entire region and i would argue they mostly want to see a winning team   look back at the 05-06 team, not exactly the broad street bullies but they are the most revered team in franchise history.

Was Gilbert Perreault a blue collar player? Lafointaine or Mogliny ? 

Everyone loves superstars but Buffalo has always identified with a blue collar style.  It’s doesn’t take much to do what the entire rest of the league does.