Lindy Ruff, reintroductory press conference 1pm, 4/23/2024

LGR4GM

12 minutes ago, inkman said:

NFW I’m watching that video.  Did Pegula really mention injuries as the reason they lost to Carolina in 2006 whilst standing next to his GM, a player on said winning team?

He's so awkward as a public speaker during Bills/Sabres pressers. 

1 hour ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Power should not be traded

Not a Power fan.  Doubt he will ever have grit and dominate physically despite his size…Would have traded him for veteran SC forward help while he still has high value.

BUT… Ruff said he wants a defensive team that skates fast, plays fast, and exits their zone quickly with long passes… Up ice passing is Power’s strength… and he’s unafraid to take risks joining the O deep in the opponents zone… Just needs a better decision-making that will come with experience and coaching.

Bet Ruff is excited to work with the kid.

• Like (+1) 3

26 minutes ago, Night Train said:

He's so awkward as a public speaker during Bills/Sabres pressers. 

Quite frankly, he should just stop with the public speaking. He is clearly in way over his head in any scenario that requires him to do so.  

Fans and their demands to hear this dude speak.  To what end?  So we can hear him say something idiotic or completely tone deaf…again. 

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

The tone was very low key and while I agree Lindy sounded sharp when he answered, some of that energy I remember was not present. 

Energy probably wasn’t present because, unlike us Sabres fans, Lindy hasn’t been conditioned to, ya know, treat press conferences like the super bowl for a decade because we have literally nothing else 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 3

40 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

They both acknowledged it yes

So Adams just laid there and took it.  I guess that’s how things work.  Your boss pays you millions, you better learn to be emasculated and embarrassed on the reg.  

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, inkman said:

NFW I’m watching that video.  Did Pegula really mention injuries as the reason they lost to Carolina in 2006 whilst standing next to his GM, a player on said winning team?

Good 

2 minutes ago, inkman said:

So Adams just laid there and took it.  I guess that’s how things work.  Your boss pays you millions, you better learn to be emasculated and embarrassed on the reg.  

He took it cause he has no choice. In his heart of hearts he knows it’s true.

tough titty 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Energy probably wasn’t present because, unlike us Sabres fans, Lindy hasn’t been conditioned to, ya know, treat press conferences like the super bowl for a decade because we have literally nothing else 

I'm in wait and see mode. I want to Lindy to succeed. I want the team to be good. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

4 minutes ago, inkman said:

Ruff had to sit there and take it with no goal questions in Dallas. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, inkman said:

What did you want him to do, punch Terry in the face and start screaming at him?

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Flashsabre said:

What did you want him to do, punch Terry in the face and start screaming at him?

He should have said, “sorry Terry I didn’t quite hear what you said just now, I’ve got a Stanley cup ring blocking my ear” 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, shrader said:

Ruff had to sit there and take it with no goal questions in Dallas. 

But that’s about a rule in a league with nonsensical rules abound.  It’s not, “do you know how you busted your ass for years to finally achieve the ultimate goal, well that doesn’t mean ***** because of Jay McKee’s stef infection”.  

4 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

He should have said, “sorry Terry I didn’t quite hear what you said just now, I’ve got a Stanley cup ring blocking my ear” 

Swipe Up Black Man GIF by Black Prez

Edited by inkman
  • Haha (+1) 1

And my point was more to TP yet again not understanding life and fumbling all over him self to the media.  I like Thorny’s response.  A whimsical quip to subtly tell your boss you are speaking out of your depths. 

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, inkman said:

And my point was more to TP yet again not understanding life and fumbling all over him self to the media.  I like Thorny’s response.  A whimsical quip to subtly tell your boss you are speaking out of your depths. 

I heard a Billionaire fan who cares but doesn’t want to give up control being happy to be able to make amends to the guy he had fired in the first place before everything went to ***** for a decade. 

KA is a yes man he is never going to do that. He only has the job because he has no issue being a lap dog to Terry

Edited by triumph_communes
  • Like (+1) 3

I am a big Lindy fan.  Admittedly, it’s a little strange to see him back with the Sabres after all this time.  But, very happy to see it.  As he stated, he knows what it is like when this team is playing games that matter.  There is no doubt in my mind that he will get this team to a place where they are playing into May.  He might not be the guy that gets this team to a place where they are playing into June.  We’ll see.  Nevertheless, a proven pro has entered the chat.

Edited by Eli Cash

1 hour ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Tuch was featured in several photos with Pegula and Ruff by the BN… Would bet a bunch he is named the new Captain.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I wouldn't. 

And, I don’t gamble… Just making an informed observation…

Frankly, not a big Tuch fan… He has hockey IQ, the size, speed and skills… Saw him glide through too many shifts this season… Ruff is just the man to energize Tuch and take him to the next level… When Ruff was describing what he expected from a player, he could have been talking to Tuch, imo.

22 minutes ago, Believer said:

And, I don’t gamble… Just making an informed observation…

Frankly, not a big Tuch fan… He has hockey IQ, the size, speed and skills… Saw him glide through too many shifts this season… Ruff is just the man to energize Tuch and take him to the next level… When Ruff was describing what he expected from a player, he could have been talking to Tuch, imo.

Honestly all the playersin attendance minus Bryson (maybe I’m selling him short, pun intended) are the exact types to elevate their game under Lindy.  Very interesting to note who wasn’t there.  I’m sure it was just logistics with players having some commitments now. 

• Agree 2

33 minutes ago, inkman said:

Honestly all the playersin attendance minus Bryson (maybe I’m selling him short, pun intended) are the exact types to elevate their game under Lindy.  Very interesting to note who wasn’t there.  I’m sure it was just logistics with players having some commitments now. 

Adams talked a ton about it after the firing and a bunch of players came out and were like "yeah, nobody held me accountable". 

Then when asked about it Ruff went 180 degrees the other way and said "Woah accountability starters with the individual, then his teammates and the locker room. I am the last one who should be holding anybody accountable". (Paraphrasing)

I am keeping an eye on how the players who were vocal about "needing more accountability" perform under Ruff. I tend to agree with Lindy. If I need to teach you how to hold yourself accountable this team has a "you" problem. And if you aren't picking it up from your peers we have a locker room/roster problem.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Mango said:

Adams talked a ton about it after the firing and a bunch of players came out and were like "yeah, nobody held me accountable". 

Then when asked about it Ruff went 180 degrees the other way and said "Woah accountability starters with the individual, then his teammates and the locker room. I am the last one who should be holding anybody accountable". (Paraphrasing)

I am keeping an eye on how the players who were vocal about "needing more accountability" perform under Ruff. I tend to agree with Lindy. If I need to teach you how to hold yourself accountable this team has a "you" problem. And if you aren't picking it up from your peers we have a locker room/roster problem.

I banged this drum all season. No one wanted to hear it. The players are the problem. Lindy needs to weed out the passengers.  Skinner being atop that list but don’t be surprised if another big name or two that people really like are also a problem. 

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Mango said:

Which players said the bold?

I recall a lot of players saying different versions of “we need to be more accountable”.

I could be wrong, but I don’t recall a single player blaming others for not holding him accountable.