Lindy Ruff, reintroductory press conference 1pm, 4/23/2024

LGR4GM

18 minutes ago, SDS said:

I hope you heard my boos from Maryland. 

You have watched me and learned well. You gotta get out front of these things. Then never waver. Your day will come.

Edited by PASabreFan

2 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I don't believe he is lying about interviewing 10+ people; perhaps he didn't interview 10 guys in depth but if 4 of them had the wrong persona and he didn't pursue further.

I will rephrase then. I do not believe that Kevyn Adams went into this process with an unbiased look at the potential candidates and that he gave equal consideration to 10 or more coaching candidates. I think he went into this thinking about Ruff and he hired Ruff. He probably talked to a few others just in case Ruff said no but judging by all that has been said over the last week, Ruff was the first choice from the outset. I don't like Adams pretending that he seriously did this and seriously considered others. He didn't, and the double digit line came off to me as a deliberate attempt at ass covering for him and terry. I think there is ample evidence that the team is tuned into what fans are saying. Adams wanted Ruff and he got Ruff. That's fine but I don't believe him when he acts as though he interviewed all these people and Ruff was simply the best choice. It is very clear that Ruff was the first choice, hence why Adams keeps saying "came back to what Lindy said" because Lindy was the first one they wanted and talked too. 

• Like (+1) 5

5 minutes ago, K-9 said:

image.thumb.jpeg.21cae8d66bb1c458e849c7e062179149.jpeg

Somehow George Costanza's clothes fit better here in 1989 than Kevyn Adams suit fits at a planned press conference to introduce a hire he made. 

Everytime I see Adams in the teams Embedded videos he reminds me of a kid pretending to be an adult in his dads suite. 

Edited by Mango
e
  • Haha (+1) 1

"I love analytics, we were a huge analytics club in NJ."  Talks about analytics knowledgably and mentions xgf, zone entries and exits, talks about players not being placed together if they have bad results. Calls it a tool he likes to use but also has to pass the eye test. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, LGR4GM said:

"I love analytics, we were a huge analytics club in NJ."  Talks about analytics knowledgably and mentions xgf, zone entries and exits, talks about players not being placed together if they have bad results. Calls it a tool he likes to use but also has to pass the eye test. 

Frankly a really good answer that I hope he lives up too.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Grinch Smile GIF

• Haha (+1) 2

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

I think the other 9 or candidates interviews went like this:  “Hi Coach _________, this is Kevyn Adams with the Buffalo Sabres, I’m calling….” ‘Click!”

I'd guess he got a few at very least

Gallant for as much as I like his resume has serious issues with younger players.

Some people have a hard time admitting that Lindy is objectively the better candidate for this role bs the others at this time. His track record has always been about getting younger players to hit their prime. The others didn’t. 

Found it interesting that before the presser Biron told an anecdote about how Gratton didn’t want to be the player that Lindy was asking out of him and that’s why he got traded for Briere. 

Kevyn is going to follow directions on the line up. It’s how Lindy has always been 

Edited by triumph_communes
  • Like (+1) 3

I wish somebody would be blunt about asking about team spending. 

"Kevyn, you mention you have the resources. This team has been bottom half of the league in roster spend 7 of the last 9 years. You have 60% of the scouts and 50% of the analytics and player development personnel compared to the top teams in the league. When you say you "have the resources" to win are you saying that having half the support staff compared to other is by your own design? That this is the ideal set up to win the most hockey games possible"

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Kevyn has a new boss. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I'd guess he got a few at very least

Gallant for as much as I like his resume has serious issues with younger players.

Good point. There’s a reason Gallant was fired after successful seasons and why he isn’t a HC in the league at the moment. 

FWIW Terry said Lindy was "released" in 2013. Perhaps a softer word choice than fired but ofc I read more into it.

I don't think LR wanted any part of what was to come and was given a blue and gold parachute.

Always found it so odd Lindy was afforded a farewell presser in the arena.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Some people have a hard time admitting that Lindy is objectively the better candidate for this role bs the others at this time. His track record has always been about getting younger players to hit their prime. The others didn’t. 

Was wondering when we would reach this stage. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Found it interesting that before the presser Biron told an anecdote about how Gratton didn’t want to be the player that Lindy was asking out of him and that’s why he got traded for Briere. 

Kevyn is going to follow directions on the line up. It’s how Lindy has always been 

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Was wondering when we would reach this stage. 

I think the ineptitude of Terry Pegula makes Lindy a good candidate for this team. This team is dysfunctional at the owner and GM level. More than a coach we need somebody with the trust of the owner to separate him from hockey meetings. 

Berube and Gallant may be better coaches, but they would but heads with the organization dysfunction just like every other person who has come into the KBC. 

I am not psyched about Lindy the coach. I am psyched because he might literally be the only person on the planet to provide a long term solution to the biggest plague for the Sabres and that is Pegula. 

EDIT: Other orgs don't have to save the on ice product from ownership. The Sabres do. So while this may not solve coaching, it could very well solve for ownership. 

Edited by Mango
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1