Lindy Ruff officially hired as Sabres HC

LGR4GM

7 hours ago, Brawndo said:

I’ve heard some stuff 

He's seeing Taylor Swift ?  

I was hoping outside the box but this is so Sabres, who operate with a Mayberry mentality. All the phone numbers are known and local through the town switchboard.

" Mabel, get me Mt. Pilot 4436 " .  Comfortable. 

I'll give him a chance.  I never liked his impatience with players when it came to shuffling lines. Don't know if that changed. There is so much wrong with our top 6 forwards who took a massive drop in production.  Power play was a sad joke. Effort was often spotty. Is he the guy to cure it  ?  We'll see. 

If Adams sits on his hands and keeps basically the same lineup, I see another 80 point season coming. Lindy won't give them a 15 point jump. Adams already paid /overpaid most of these guys. Need an injection of some players who don't take shifts off. 

I predicted this last week...I think the firing and hiring was already decided weeks ago by TP. They desperately need to put people in the seats and Lindy is very popular and I love his intensity, something this team has lacked for years. If they play with half the passion and heart that Lindy played with, then coached with, they will be significantly better. Figure this is a two year plan...if they do not make the playoffs in those two years both Lindy and KA are gone 

• Like (+1) 3

28 minutes ago, inkman said:

And amazingly, when he had good players, they made the playoffs. 

So when given a roster good enough to make the playoffs he can do the bare minimum and do so. Good stuff. Glad we have a roster of good players. 

• Disagree 1

9 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Either Keven Adams hired a new social media influencer or you are really passionate about Lindy Ruff. 😂 

It’s Lindy’s mom’s account.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, #freejame said:

So when given a roster good enough to make the playoffs he can do the bare minimum and do so. Good stuff. Glad we have a roster of good players. 

Let’s make the playoffs first, then we can worry about how far they go.  There isn’t some magic formula these “wizards” as some people are attributing to Cup winning coaches. They just push buttons. Some of them get it right, some of them don’t.  You move on until you find one that works.  Otherwise there would be only a dozen coaches in the history of the league.  They all just kept winning cups because of the magic they performed. 🙄

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, SwampD said:

Maybe the one thing that could get @Eleven back to SabreSpace. I welcome his return, probably more than Ruff’s

I don't wanna speak for him, but he was not a fan of Ruff coming back. I hope he pops by though.

1 minute ago, Weave said:

Have they announced a contract length yet?  

The Sandlot GIF

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Big Guava said:

Yeah because going from 17 years of not making the playoffs to one of the elite teams in the NFL is so terrible 

... either you don't know what an analogy is or .... no that's the only explanation. 

Comparing the Bills to the Sabres is folly. The nfl can change on a dime if you get a good QB.

37 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Let’s hope UPL is his new Hasek.

I mean yes, I also UPL turns into the literal greatest goalie to ever play in the NHL.

8 hours ago, Brawndo said:

If it was anyone else but Lindy, it would have been two years. 
Lindy could easily be moved into an advisory role as Pegula trusts him. 
The same could not have been said about other hires 

So Adams is in cover his ass mode.

8 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Berube and Gallant amongst a few others did have interviews with the Sabres via zoom the past few days

It would not surprise me if Adams mentioned Ruff replacing Granato in season, but was rebuffed by Pegula 

Ellis is not guaranteed a spot behind the bench 

One member of the staff will be a coach in waiting as mentioned before.  Appert is my guess.

If it was Peca, I doubt Lavy or the Rangers would block him from moving. 

Ruff will spend a lot of time around the Amerks over the next few weeks getting know the prospects as well as Appert. 

And @Thorny if this does go south, your prediction will come true next offseason.  That’s a reason why Adams hired Lindy he knows they can work together. 

Avengers Assemble GIF by MOODMAN

I am kinda surprised at how fast this went down.  But I believe ka had already talked to potential coaches before the season ended. So apparently he didn't want any playoff coaches that might come available. So the decision on ruff was pretty much made by the time dg was fired IMHO

7 hours ago, SDS said:

You’re absolutely right. It’s all I wanna listen to. Idiotic.

What's idiotic is dwelling on the outliers.  Ignore them.  We all hope the team does well under Ruff.  There are a few that are his fan boiz I guess but people in general are more concerned with wins and losses regardless of who gets the credit/blame.

• Agree 2

13 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Some did, most don't. And even if they did, who cares? Isn't the point to hire the best person?

Yea but it's best person according to the one doing the hiring, not the best person according to some people on a Sabres forum.

• Agree 1

53 minutes ago, inkman said:

Let’s make the playoffs first, then we can worry about how far they go.  There isn’t some magic formula these “wizards” as some people are attributing to Cup winning coaches. They just push buttons. Some of them get it right, some of them don’t.  You move on until you find one that works.  Otherwise there would be only a dozen coaches in the history of the league.  They all just kept winning cups because of the magic they performed. 🙄

The playoffs is my entire point. Ruff has very little success making the playoffs and like you said, when we does, it’s because he already has a playoff roster, not that he has elevated the team. There was much more pedigree out there from a making the playoffs perspective. Especially in the last decade. But they went with Ruff. 

10 minutes ago, sabresouth said:

I am kinda surprised at how fast this went down.  But I believe ka had already talked to potential coaches before the season ended. So apparently he didn't want any playoff coaches that might come available. So the decision on ruff was pretty much made by the time dg was fired IMHO

If that was the case, why not introduce Ruff at the same presser where he fired Donny?

1 minute ago, Night Train said:

Per diem. Overruns in the business sector. ( Bills, Yachts ) 

$110 per day, just like a substitute teacher at Buffalo Public Schools.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, sabresouth said:

Goes down real quick when you do not interview anyone and have a quick handshake with a fired coach that happens to live in your town.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

864 wins and 1774 games as a coach.

4 minutes ago, WhenWillItEnd66 said:

Goes down real quick when you do not interview anyone and have a quick handshake with a fired coach that happens to live in your town.

Where I work it takes a month just to find an administrative assistant.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1