Lindy Ruff officially hired as Sabres HC

LGR4GM

3 hours ago, Mustache of God said:

NOOOOO. STOP TRYING TO GET THE BAND BACK TOGETHER.

So you're OK with 13 years of losing, no Playoffs, hiring all kinds of Coaches and doing it all over again with people we don't know.

That is what you are saying RIGHT?

How STUPID!!!

Ruff knows Buffalo

He will end the 13 years of NO PLAYOFFS

What happens after that is Bonus right at this moment.

We will know what the future is when they Hire the Assistants and the Roster structure over the Summer.

I expect Pretty soon the players NOT wanted back will be told, SEE YA!

Just now, SABRES 0311 said:

Just now seeing this and not reading 13 pages to see if assistants were discussed.

So, who do we think Lindy picks?

Do we think any players will have a notable positive/negative reaction to Lindy’s style?

What might Lindy’s focus be for improving team play?

I’ve made several jokes about hiring former Sabres all of which seem to have generated positive feedback. Go with the most cliche picks and those will be what the fan base wants. 

1 minute ago, #freejame said:

I’ve made several jokes about hiring former Sabres all of which seem to have generated positive feedback. Go with the most cliche picks and those will be what the fan base wants. 

McKee and Peca would be a pipe dream. I’ll settle for Ellis and this new guy Don Granato.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I don't have too much more to offer on this other than that I hope it works. But I keep thinking one thing: 

This might work, or it might not. But there's one thing I'm certain of: Lindy isn't going to take too much heat from the fans over it. There won't be any Fire Lindy chants. We already did that, and we know it didn't matter. At the very least, it didn't help. 

So if the players were well and truly looking for more accountability, they're about to get it. ALL of it. 

And not because of who Lindy is as a coach. But because of who Lindy is to most fans, to the city. He's Teflon, he's going to get a free pass. It's okay Lindy, we didn't want this for you anyway. 

The players though. Oh boy, the players. Get ready for hell boys.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, #freejame said:

This is the most predictable franchise out there. What a ***** joke. 

I remember you

Wanted Okposo and Girg back. Thought last years Roster should remain the same. Hell you were elated when Nolan was hired back

yet hiring the Franchises most established Coach/Player???

Guess you are the fan that wants The Bills record broke!

3 hours ago, zow2 said:

Sorry, but i hate the re-hire thing.  Hope im wrong but i was wanting a proven coach from outside the organization.  

Ruff is 10 years outside of the Organization

3 hours ago, eman said:

I really really hope Lindy is the guy to get this club back in the playoffs. I feel a bit apprehensive at this signing. My personal preference would have been Gallant or Berube but I did love Lindy once. I am afraid if this fails yet again, it will tarnish his history as Sabres coach and the club goes another season of no playoffs. I wish Coach Lindy all the best this upcoming season. Really hoping for "the old Lindy magic"! For all I know, maybe Gallant and Berube's agents already declined that their clients would come to Buffalo and I don't think Brind' Amour is leaving Carolina. God bless you Lindy- here's hoping for the best!!

He has 500+ wins as Sabres Coach. Take 3-4 years of flat out Tanking to tarnish Ruff

Wasn't Ruff the one COMPLETELY against the TANK?????

• Like (+1) 1

I need to see how Ruff set up his staffs after he left Buffalo. In Buffalo, whether it was his choice or bc of budgets, he never had assistants with head coaching experience at the pro level.

I am going to barf if he fills his staff with inexperienced former Sabres.

I'd also like to know what if any assurances he got re: TP's commitment and involvement.

Finally Lindy you might as well tell us if you got fired or quit in 2013.

3 hours ago, Weave said:

To me it feels like a PR hire, not a hockey hire.

Who is more about HOCKEY than Lindy Ruff

63 and been around it since he was a KID

Your comment is just STUPID

In NJ last year he was in the Playoffs with a very young team. The were 2nd I believe in the Conference. They won the 1st Round

That is NOT a has been!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 hours ago, Weave said:

Welp.  Let’s see how it rolls…..

KA has a career riding on this.  If Lindy fails I don’t see KA working as a GM in the NHL again.

Well the last 3 hasn't with their HIRES

Just now, TRIP65 said:

Who is more about HOCKEY than Lindy Ruff

63 and been around it since he was a KID

Your comment is just STUPID

In NJ last year he was in the Playoffs with a very young team. The were 2nd I believe in the Conference. They won the 1st Round

That is NOT a has been!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andrew. Burnette. 

2 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I need to see how Ruff set up his staffs after he left Buffalo. In Buffalo, whether it was his choice or bc of budgets, he never had assistants with head coaching experience at the pro level.

I'd also like to know what if any assurances he got re: TP's commitment and involvement.

I'm going to barf if he fills his staff with anybody named Ellis or Wilford.

1 minute ago, #freejame said:

I think the 4th movie was the peak. Too many details left out from that point onward, I left the theater disappointed after every subsequent movie. 

3rd book is the best book is the real hot take of the thread, but it’s true. 

*nerd alert*

Briefly (this may need to be its own thread) I was quoting Big Bang theory but I do actually rank Goblet last. I enjoy the film but the editing is a disaster. Newell I thought was weakest of the directors, but the last 30 mins or so slaps, 3rd task forward.

Azkaban is one of the greatest fantasy films of all time, but in terms of ranking the series the Yates films are next, for me. Half-Blood Prince has the best cinematography in the series. DH1 is incredibly underrated and maybe the most emotional film in the saga, DH2 is actually the best critically reviewed of the 8 and represents a high-water mark for series conclusions when so often they represent a low (see: ROTJ, TROS, The Godfather 3, etc etc - very high degree of difficulty). Order of the Phoenix has Dan’s best performance in the role.

First film will always be special cause it’s the first but honestly I have the earlier films aside from POA (masterpiece) ranked towards the bottom

Deathly Hallows, Order, Azkaban are my 1/2/3 for books.

But I do hear Azkaban a lot for #1 for book (and movie) tbh.

Im sort of the biggest fan of this series so always open to a moving this to the movie thread or whatever 

2 hours ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

Whether you’re elated or deflated about this hiring, I can’t wait to see how Lindy handles Skinner, and what Jeff Skinner shows up for the Sabres next year…

I don't think Skinner will be here come training camp.   Can't help think that a lot of the players were talking about skinner when they spoke of their hope  of a coach holding players accountable.  

• Like (+1) 1

On the down side, I think this is evidence that we are still not operating like a normal NHL team. On the plus side, there was a veteran coach available with a winning history and a strong connection to Buffalo, so we could not act like a normal NHL team and still hire a guy who, mostly, fits the description of what we need. 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I don't have too much more to offer on this other than that I hope it works. But I keep thinking one thing: 

This might work, or it might not. But there's one thing I'm certain of: Lindy isn't going to take too much heat from the fans over it. There won't be any Fire Lindy chants. We already did that, and we know it didn't matter. At the very least, it didn't help. 

So if the players were well and truly looking for more accountability, they're about to get it. ALL of it. 

And not because of who Lindy is as a coach. But because of who Lindy is to most fans, to the city. He's Teflon, he's going to get a free pass. It's okay Lindy, we didn't want this for you anyway. 

The players though. Oh boy, the players. Get ready for hell boys.

Not sure I'm going to enjoy everyone this hire is pulling out of the woodwork, but we sure missed your takes around here.

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Thorny said:

293-247-69

did the work - it’s an 88 point pace over 82

but it’s really a tale of 2 Lindys.

There’s been 8 seasons: his teams have averaged 99 points per, the 5 seasons they’ve had a winning record.

they’ve averaged 70 points the other 3

You are NOT ok with 8 seasons of 99 points???

I mean sure we can go another round of Coaches then hire Ruff at 73 and 23 years of No Playoffs

Sounds like a PLAN

3 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

Different coaching philosophy styles for sure. Lindy is a solid veteran coach, to deny that is ridiculous. But I hear you, and many others, that heavily question if he's "the right coach" to go on a cup run. I have faith in Lindy, his style is indeed accountability. Imho.

So the Sabres with 13 NO PLAYOFF SEASONS is on a CUP RUN????

Geez, I hope they can back in next year like McDermott!

Who you kidding???????

This Roster on offense has 6 keepable players.

9 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

A) He had Brunette in Jersey.

B) It was pretty widely reported that Darcy went to his house to fire him. Is there reason to believe otherwise?

5 minutes ago, TRIP65 said:

You are NOT ok with 8 seasons of 99 points???

I mean sure we can go another round of Coaches then hire Ruff at 73 and 23 years of No Playoffs

Sounds like a PLAN

1 minute ago, TRIP65 said:

So the Sabres with 13 NO PLAYOFF SEASONS is on a CUP RUN????

Geez, I hope they can back in next year like McDermott!

Who you kidding???????

This Roster on offense has 6 keepable players.

Either Keven Adams hired a new social media influencer or you are really passionate about Lindy Ruff. 😂