Lindy Ruff officially hired as Sabres HC

LGR4GM

4 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Most coaches need great goaltending to be fair 

I don't want my coach to be merely fair.  I want him to be outstanding.

(yes I know that's not the way you meant it)

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Flashsabre said:

He can if it is a promotion. He couldn’t leave to be assistant coach in Buffalo but he could to be Associate Head Coach.

Omfg, this is never going to end. Fans will see a name and get perpetual fan boners regardless of if the guy is good or not. 

Mike Weber for assistant head coach!

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

They're absolutely no reason for Peca to leave the Rangers if he's under contract. None, let alone he couldn't. 

He could if it was a promotion.  Associate Head Coach > Assistant Coach.

But I don't think he's going anywhere.

44 minutes ago, Weave said:

Welp.  Let’s see how it rolls…..

KA has a career riding on this.  If Lindy fails I don’t see KA working as a GM in the NHL again.

Could be that Gallant/Berube and others did not want it, or didn’t want to talk, or they like Lindy better based on interviews.   I hope it’s the later. 

• Like (+1) 1

If we're honest with ourselves are there really any slam dunk guys available right now? Especially one that ticks the box of needing someone to whip up this young core.

Everyone has their wrinkles. I don't think Lindy is any better or any worse than anyone we could have got.

All we can do is sit back and let the chips fall as they may.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, LGR4GM said:

Omfg, this is never going to end. Fans will see a name and get perpetual fan boners regardless of if the guy is good or not. 

Mike Weber for assistant head coach!

You are going to get Peca’ed to death!😜

I don’t care if he comes back or not but he shouldn’t have been allowed to leave last year because they couldn’t make room for him on a bench with Matt Ellis and Jason Christie.

Get me two seasoned NHL level assistants and I will be happy.

12 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Once the shock of the incompetence of this hiring wears off, I'll be Lindy's biggest fan.  I just can't believe Adams didn't even kick some (other) tires before pulling the trigger.

You don't know who he called and spoke to?   We wanted an experienced, passionate, no nonsense coach and they got one 

Don't be miserable just for the sake of being miserable 

I don't care who you interview, there isn't a coach out there that wants to win for the city of Buffalo any greater than Lindy does.   

Once the shock of the incompetence of this hiring wears off, I'll be Lindy's biggest fan.  I just can't believe Adams didn't even kick some (other) tires before pulling the trigger.

You don't know who he called and spoke to?   We wanted an experienced, passionate, no nonsense coach and they got one 

I don't care who you interview, there isn't a coach out there that wants to win for the city of Buffalo any greater than Lindy does.   

• Like (+1) 3
  • Shocked 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

This isn't a hire for the hardcore fans like us. It's a hire for the next level on the pyramid of Buffalo hockey fans.

Not the guy I would have picked, but if I'm honest with myself his resume probably ticks a lot of boxes if his name wasn't Lindy Ruff and this wasn't the Buffalo Sabres.

I suspect he's going to flame out spectacularly.

But I'm going to go with the way @Thorny is reacting because if I squint really hard I can kinda see it, and giving the latest move a chance is just the way I roll.

Now where's my Scotch?

Ouch?

lmao

• Thanks (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, eman said:

I really really hope Lindy is the guy to get this club back in the playoffs. I feel a bit apprehensive at this signing. My personal preference would have been Gallant or Berube but I did love Lindy once. I am afraid if this fails yet again, it will tarnish his history as Sabres coach and the club goes another season of no playoffs. I wish Coach Lindy all the best this upcoming season. Really hoping for "the old Lindy magic"! For all I know, maybe Gallant and Berube's agents already declined that their clients would come to Buffalo and I don't think Brind' Amour is leaving Carolina. God bless you Lindy- here's hoping for the best!!

I think you nailed it. Nobody wants to work for Adams and Pegula. 

Lindy was probably the only above average coach remaining who would interview. 

• Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Now that Ruff is hired you're denying fans wanted him? Nice.

Are you reading what you want to read in this thread?  It’s gotta be 70/30 wanted someone else in here.

• dislike 1

2 minutes ago, Rhyno716 said:

I feel like Terry only approved the firing of Granato only if Lindy was going to be his replacement.

I’ve always maintained Terry is a smart hockey man 

Edited by Thorny
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, #freejame said:

It’s going to be Jay McKee and you might as well just hop on the itoldyaso train now. This isn’t about hockey. 

I would love the assistant to be Jay McKee! He has done a wonderful job coaching the Hamilton (now Brantford Bulldogs) and all their young players. Loved how Jay played defense for the Sabres as well. This club could certainly use Jay as an assistant and get the D to take some bodies a dish out some hits. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Weave said:

Are you reading what you want to read in this thread?  It’s gotta be 70/30 wanted someone else in here.

I’ve checked 3 or 4 boards and most people are happy with the hiring.

I think Lindy will be motivated for this.

Lets see how it goes.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1