NHL Playoffs (First Round) discussion

SwampD

51 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Six series currently sit at 3-1. Someone asked me which team has the best chance to come back…the answer is probably none.  But if I had to pick one, I guess Tampa?

What would you say?

Yes. Tampa.

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Oh definitely all those 35 year olds should just slit their wrists and end it all. Life is over. I'm talking to you Crosby, Giroux, Burns, Pavelski, Marchand, etc. 

Seriously, no question the last year or two might be diminishing returns but he's still good for a number of years and just look what he's doing for Vancouver. You want to win or not?

I want to win now but also later and exchanging a 23 year old for a 30 year old isn’t the answer

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Really, Cooper pulling his goalie down 5-1. 

That was right after a commercial break. I had the sense it's something the players wanted.

4 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

I want to win now but also later and exchanging a 23 year old for a 30 year old isn’t the answer

Who is exchanging? I'm talking about ADDING a free agent. Cozens at 3C could be a dominant player. 

I want to be a cap ceiling team next year not a cap floor team. I don't want to just improve a little bit, I want them to make the great leap forward. We need a good defensive 2 way center. He fits the role perfectly and you can see, in the playoffs, he's Vancouver's best center. Type of player we lack. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, PerreaultForever said:

Who is exchanging? I'm talking about ADDING a free agent. Cozens at 3C could be a dominant player. 

I want to be a cap ceiling team next year not a cap floor team. I don't want to just improve a little bit, I want them to make the great leap forward. We need a good defensive 2 way center. He fits the role perfectly and you can see, in the playoffs, he's Vancouver's best center. Type of player we lack. 

He hasn’t done well in Vancouver until literally last game. I’d look for a slightly less expensive option. Back before his supposed contract talks he had been one of my favorites for the role however. 

How you originally responded had made me think you were sending Cozens out to make cap room

56 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Evan Rodrigues has more playoff goals than Tage Thompson.

Panthers are clearly better.

Panthers were better but the 2 disallowed goals were a bit dodgy imo.  Florida scores a lot of goals in similar fashion that count (like pretty much every Tkachuk goal). If those goals are allowed outcome might have been different. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

1 minute ago, Gatorman0519 said:

The Panthers are everything I wish the Sabres were.  They are so fun to watch. It would be funny if in addition to ROR & Eichel, this year Reinhart gets a cup. 

Funny is an interesting word for that feeling.

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

He hasn’t done well in Vancouver until literally last game. I’d look for a slightly less expensive option. Back before his supposed contract talks he had been one of my favorites for the role however. 

How you originally responded had made me think you were sending Cozens out to make cap room

Nah, I'm still hoping Ruff can turn Cozens into a solid NHLer. Cozens needs to get taken back to the compete level he had when he arrived. The workhorse has to get working and add some muscle. I think he can be fixed and if we add a good 2 way 2C I can see him thrive much like Coyle did in Boston on the third line behind Bergeron and Krejci. When that 2C (like Lindholm) ages out Cozens will maybe actually be ready to ascend. 

If you have a better idea on a 2C (one who might be obtainable) by all means name him. I just think you have to seize the opportunity if it presents itself. 

The reality is I doubt Lindholm would want to sign with Buffalo anyway, so it's moot, but one has to dream at this point. 

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

The Panthers are everything I wish the Sabres were.  They are so fun to watch. It would be funny if in addition to ROR & Eichel, this year Reinhart gets a cup. 

Very possible. Mitts is another. 

One thing about Florida that doesn't get enough talk imo is how quietly good Barkov is. You take Reinhart away from him and I'm pretty sure he doesn't put up the same numbers. It's a combo a little like Bergeron Marchand. Reinhart obviously not ratty like Marchand, but that steady 2 way ability of his partner frees up his creativity and allows him to do so much more. 

1 hour ago, Gatorman0519 said:

The Panthers are everything I wish the Sabres were. 

Watching the game tonight I had the same exact thought.  I think the Sabres could play that style right now... if only they were asked to.

Stars even the series with VGK 2-2.  They played a perfect third period to close it out.  Roope Hintz blocked a shot and while still wincing took a 3/4 court shot and hit nothing but net.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

One thing about Florida that doesn't get enough talk imo is how quietly good Barkov is.

Barkov is this years Selke imo. Reinhard and Huberdeau, the reason why they put up the numbers they do/did is Barkov. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Watching the game tonight I had the same exact thought.  I think the Sabres could play that style right now... if only they were asked to.

Stars even the series with VGK 2-2.  They played a perfect third period to close it out.  Roope Hintz blocked a shot and while still wincing took a 3/4 court shot and hit nothing but net.

Huh? Sabres could? How?

But yes, Hintz at the end there was a great example of what it takes in the playoffs to succeed. Warrior stuff.