NHL Playoffs (First Round) discussion

SwampD

54 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Depends what you mean by dominated. They had the puck more, as expected, but in terms of high danger chances, they were far from dominant. Winnipeg is a defensive counter punch team and they played their game well. 

Mackinnon had 24:11 of ice time. The guy is super human but how long can he keep that up? Crazy game, makes me think the next one will be 3 to 2 one way or another. Winnipeg is tough to play against for certain. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Depends what you mean by dominated. They had the puck more, as expected, but in terms of high danger chances, they were far from dominant. Winnipeg is a defensive counter punch team and they played their game well. 

Did you watch the whole game? Score was misleading. 46-23 shots for Colorado and it started like 20-5. Winnipeg was there for the taking as they usually are on home ice in the playoffs but Georgiev was worse 

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Did you watch the whole game? Score was misleading. 46-23 shots for Colorado and it started like 20-5. Winnipeg was there for the taking as they usually are on home ice in the playoffs but Georgiev was worse 

I did watch it. Not as closely as I watch the Bruins but I saw the whole game. Yup, lots of shots, but not a huge difference in actual dangerous scoring chances imo. It was a classic offensive team vs. defensive team match up. Rope a dope if you are old enough to remember the analogy. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I did watch it. Not as closely as I watch the Bruins but I saw the whole game. Yup, lots of shots, but not a huge difference in actual dangerous scoring chances imo. It was a classic offensive team vs. defensive team match up. Rope a dope if you are old enough to remember the analogy. 

I don’t know when the phrase was first coined but given that it’s still in regular English usage today, yes I do remember  

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Knew he made it famous. Didn’t know he coined it. Nice 

It's possible it pre-dates him but not to my knowledge. He was pretty much the first heavy weight to fight the way he did with speed and motion, avoiding punches and thus wearing down his opponent. He never really had a (comparatively) heavy punch and he brought a light weight style to the heavy weight division. It was revolutionary at the time and his rope-a-dope style was part of it. 

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

It's possible it pre-dates him but not to my knowledge. He was pretty much the first heavy weight to fight the way he did with speed and motion, avoiding punches and thus wearing down his opponent. He never really had a (comparatively) heavy punch and he brought a light weight style to the heavy weight division. It was revolutionary at the time and his rope-a-dope style was part of it. 

Precursory search says he did! 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Precursory search says he did! 

I thought so. I remember this all from my youth. My father was an amateur boxer so I got schooled on all the boxing stuff early on. Everything from the "Brown Bomber" and Max Schmeling and then Ali and all the history. Boxing was a different kind of thing back then. 

Anyway, Winnipeg will give up a lot of shots every game against Colorado but it's kind of by design. 

Ullmark in for Boston, this is a new thing. Time to watch. 

• Like (+1) 1

The Carolina game is slower than the other playoff games I've watched so far. Wouldn't it be a hoot if the Canes get bounced and Rod the Bod becomes available. 

41 minutes ago, ... said:

The Carolina game is slower than the other playoff games I've watched so far. Wouldn't it be a hoot if the Canes get bounced and Rod the Bod becomes available. 

We do need an assistant coach...