Off-season Game Plan 2024

23 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I wholeheartedly disagree with your take, then

obviously the fact Ehlers is only under contact for next year triggers “in a vacuum” for sabres fans because we’ve been conditioned to put zero value on the immediate. 1 year isn’t anything. It’s not one year with one potential playoffs at all, which would be one more than we’ve seen in 13 years: it has no worth. We only measure in the long term. Ehlers not being under contract beyond that is, apparently, more of an obstacle to being a good NHLer in Buffalo than a guy who may never been a good NHLer for anyone, when if it happens likely results in a player inferior to Ehlers…in a time period significantly more inefficient to Ehlers relative to our timeline 

we’ll happily take the risk with Savoie tho because *MYSTERY BOX* 🥳

Your take is fine: in a vacuum. In the real world, what it allows you to do is hold your head high while keeping the asset, because while in your ideal world you don’t wanna pay that much: in the real world, you don’t get Ehlers.

But I’m glad you won the battle of asset value. The war of finding a way to make the playoffs nonetheless continues 

- - - 

I do enjoy me some armchair GM mode video game, tho. Collecting all these prospects and listing out all their accomplishments in Junior every year is a swell pass time 

I was just looking for a yes or no 😜

So you do the deal?

43 minutes ago, Thorny said:

And honestly I’ve never heard of that dude. 

Just the first small, high scoring junior player from yesteryear that popped into my head.

He lit up the OHL in the early 90’s and didn’t go anywhere.

MacKinnon should not be a comparable, he’s bigger. LOL.

12 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Just the first small, high scoring junior player from yesteryear that popped into my head.

He lit up the OHL in the early 90’s and didn’t go anywhere.

MacKinnon should not be a comparable, he’s bigger. LOL.

Makes sense. I always go with Daigle 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Sure, in a vacuum. But Ehlers is a pending UFA.

My take is you shouldn't have to give up that much to get that player; And, if you're giving up that asset, better to use it on a different kind of player.

Ehlers has a 10 Team M-NTC, the Kings need a retool as well. 

Could the most famous Sabre Player in History convince another Victoriaville Native to waive His 10 Team M-NTC to come to Buffalo 

3 seasons of Phillip Danault at 5.5 million AAV as the the third line center would be perfect 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Could the most famous Sabre Player in History convince another Victoriaville Native to waive His 10 Team M-NTC to come to Buffalo 

3 seasons of Phillip Danault at 5.5 million AAV as the the third line center would be perfect 

Now that’s the kind of “now” trade I’d look for.

It’s not about not trading futures, it’s about trading them for the right player.

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

People don’t want to win. 

They want winning to emerge as a product of their carefully tailored online collection 

That’s the truth 

Take it easy.  There is no reason to scorn those who disagree with you.

It's far from risible IMHO to believe -- as every single NHL GM does -- that each potential trade asset has a price, and that it's bad business to pay far in excess of that price.

22 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Indeed, but NHL guys don't willingly leave Southern California for WNY.

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

It’s not about not trading futures, it’s about trading them for the right player.

This.  We're not talking about Brady Tkachuk here, for whom I (and I think most here) would pay a heavy price.  We're talking about a good NHL winger who isn't a difference-maker, who would probably play on the Sabres' 2nd line and who has 4 goals (and 10 assists) in 37 career playoff games.

One can reasonably believe that the Sabres should be open to trading their prospects for good NHL players while also believing that not every good NHL player is worth any price someone can propose.

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

He is the type that fits 3C perfectly. He could win a few draws for Lindy.

LAK may want to move Byfield to C and they have Dubois signed long term so he may be available.

I don't believe the Sabres under Kevyn Adams will make any move to improve the top 6. In fact I think they will assume their top 6 is actually in better shape this offseason with jjp and Quinn both growing and Benson emerging. I also believe they think both Skinner and Cozens will rebound. I also think they'll give Krebs ample opportunity to be 3 C.

They may add 2 or 3 bottom 6 types but that's it. Adams doesn't seem to understand when and how to ruthlessly improve the team and shows far too much loyalty to his favorite players. We need leaders though and I don't see anyone with enough heart, maybe Dahlin. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 3

15 hours ago, Thorny said:

😭😭😭

There’s no more hope 

Pack it up. It’s all over 

I wouldn't, to me a guy like Savoie isn't available for a 1 year rental. I'd trade lesser 1st round prospects but not Savoie in this case specifically.

Additionally I'm not an Ehlers fan to be perfectly honest; he's hurt and or ineffective for long stretches and wouldn't bring any new element to the roster.

Edited by thewookie1

I wouldn’t touch Dubois if he was free. Absolute no effort cancer. He is exactly what the Sabres don’t want to be.

LA knew this when he pushed his way out of Columbus to Winnipeg and played his way out of there. Imagine trading prime assets for a 25 year old 6’3, 220 pound centre, signing him to an 8 year big money deal and considering buying him out after a single season and taking a 14 year cap hit.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

I wouldn’t touch Dubois if he was free. Absolute no effort cancer. He is exactly what the Sabres don’t want to be.

LA knew this when he pushed his way out of Columbus to Winnipeg and played his way out of there. Imagine trading prime assets for a 25 year old 6’3, 220 pound centre, signing him to an 8 year big money deal and considering buying him out after a single season and taking a 14 year cap hit.

I wouldn't touch Dubois either. Dude is the type of low effort floater we don't need or want. 

18 hours ago, dudacek said:

Another perfect target who has zero trade protection is Dylan Strome and 4 years left at 5 million AAV 

The Capitals need to get younger and their prospect pool is shallow. 

The trouble is I think there is NFW they move him with Ovi chasing the record 

• Like (+1) 2

I still call Toronto and offer Skinner for Marner to see if they are desperate enough to bite.

Marner probably waves to Buffalo as it is so close for one season before UFA. Skinner waves to Toronto.

One year of Marner is worth getting out of 3 years of Skinner.

I don’t think Toronto does it but it would be a nice solution.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/3/2024 at 10:34 PM, LGR4GM said:

I don't believe the Sabres under Kevyn Adams will make any move to improve the top 6. In fact I think they will assume their top 6 is actually in better shape this offseason with jjp and Quinn both growing and Benson emerging. I also believe they think both Skinner and Cozens will rebound. I also think they'll give Krebs ample opportunity to be 3 C.

They may add 2 or 3 bottom 6 types but that's it. Adams doesn't seem to understand when and how to ruthlessly improve the team and shows far too much loyalty to his favorite players. We need leaders though and I don't see anyone with enough heart, maybe Dahlin. 

Sadly we are in full agreement on this.  GMHD has no idea how to improve this team.  His whole plan is to hope that the kids mature on their own into winners and he can supplement on the fringes.  

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Sadly we are in full agreement on this.  GMHD has no idea how to improve this team.  His whole plan is to hope that the kids mature on their own into winners and he can supplement on the fringes.  

I agree with you and @LGR4GM that it is unlikely that the top six players will be moved. As of now, I'm not sure how he is going to configure the second line, assuming JJP remains on the top line with Tage and Tuch. It's likely that Quinn, Cozens and maybe Benson will be on the line. 

The biggest need frequently mentioned by others is a legitimate 3C and a big winger. I would love to see a player like the Caps' winger, Tom Wilson, who can provide some toughness and scoring ability to this lineup. This is a player that @LGR4GM has mentioned in prior posts. 

Someone else mentioned Washington's Strome. The Caps are going to through a transition where they need to add some young talent. We do have assets to get a deal like this done. 

Who do people think will be in over their heads in these roles?

• 1C Thompson*
  • 2C Cozens*
  • 4C Krebs
  • T6W Tuch
  • T6W Skinner*
  • T6W Quinn*
  • T6W Peterka
  • B6W Greenway
  • B6W Benson

To me, this is best case scenario with the current roster. The guys with stars are the guys who didn't live up to their role this year and proof of why you can't count on the best-case scenario.

And it's why I've said there is a Mitts-sized hole in the lineup: a guy who creates competition in the top 6 and in the process strengthens the bottom six.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

I still call Toronto and offer Skinner for Marner to see if they are desperate enough to bite.

Marner probably waves to Buffalo as it is so close for one season before UFA. Skinner waves to Toronto.

One year of Marner is worth getting out of 3 years of Skinner.

I don’t think Toronto does it but it would be a nice solution.

Certainly no one here would say no, but I think there is zero possibility that Toronto says yes.  Also, IMHO it's the kind of offer no NHL GM would make as it would make him sound silly.

39 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I agree with you and @LGR4GM that it is unlikely that the top six players will be moved. As of now, I'm not sure how he is going to configure the second line, assuming JJP remains on the top line with Tage and Tuch. It's likely that Quinn, Cozens and maybe Benson will be on the line. 

The biggest need frequently mentioned by others is a legitimate 3C and a big winger. I would love to see a player like the Caps' winger, Tom Wilson, who can provide some toughness and scoring ability to this lineup. This is a player that @LGR4GM has mentioned in prior posts. 

Someone else mentioned Washington's Strome. The Caps are going to through a transition where they need to add some young talent. We do have assets to get a deal like this done. 

Wilson has seven years left at 6.5 million AAV and he has already started his decline in production. 
And his metrics are atrocious 

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, dudacek said:

And it's why I've said there is a Mitts-sized hole in the lineup: a guy who creates competition in the top 6 and in the process strengthens the bottom six.

Good thing we traded him without a plan to replace him.  We have no 3C NHL ready prospects, Krebs isn't good enough and most of the guys who'd be perfect for the role have NMCs so they aren't coming or have expensive contracts (or want an expensive contract) or both.  

Take, for example, Anthony Cirelli.  Good hard working two way center.  Comes from a championship team and only 26 (27 in July).  He also doesn't have a NMC (yet) and is on a team that may have to cut payroll.  Sounds like an ideal fit.  However this player's max offense has been 43-45 pts.  He hit his career high in goals (20) and pts (45) this past season.  Unfortunately he is under contract for the next 7 years at 6.25 per season, or about what it would have cost to keep Mitts (back to back seasons of 59 & 57 points).  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Wilson has seven years left at 6.5 million AAV and he has already started his decline in production. 
And his metrics are atrocious 

Yup. I wanted him when I thought he was a UFA. 7 years left on that deal is atrocious.