Off-season Game Plan 2024

Drop Skinner.

Sign Chandler Stephenson.

Sign Tanev.

Sign Monahan.

Sign Clutterbuck and Joshua.

Sign Samsonov.

Promote Dahlin to Captain.

Resign: UPL (market rate), 2-way (Krebs, Bryson, Joker, Jost, Robinson).

Walk: Girgs, Olofsson, Comrie.

Trade: Mule.

Edited by seer775

13 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

I doubt Tavares and Marner waive for any move. 

Marner moving to another team would allow him to sign an eight year extension, that’s the only way I could see him waiving. 

Tavares who knows 

On 4/22/2024 at 10:01 PM, dudacek said:

I find the "Bring back the same roster" thing usually comes with arbitrary rules around what that means.

Knowing what those ground rules helps me understand the conversation.

It looks like you want to frame it around how many new players will we add this summer who aren't here today.

Which is fine, but it doesn't reflect "bring back the entire failed roster" because that roster included Mittelstadt, Okposo, Johnson, Girgensons, Jost, Olofsson, Robinson and Comrie, who all spent at least half the season on that roster.

Byram — who was not a significant part of the failed roster — effectively replaced Johnson, but the rest of them still need to be replaced.

Rousek and other prospects may take some of their slots, but there are clearly more spots open to add bodies from outside the organization than your ??? would lead one to believe.

By the way, I re-read our discussion and I did some math regarding the possible returning roster.  I calculated the numbers based on the players who have already moved on (Johnson, Okposo and Mitts plus all the UFAs)  The Sabres are potentially bringing back 75% of the man games played, 79% of the goals scored, 83% of the assists and 81% of the points.  They are also bringing back 88% of the starts in goal and 90% of the games plays by a defenseman.  The forward turnover is primarily all the bottom of the roster players (KO, Z, Robinson, Jost, Murray, Biro and VO).  The only exception is Mitts.  Those 7 players accounted for 17% of the games played last season, but only 11% of the teams points.  To say they won't be missed is an understatement.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Thanks for posting.

Seravalli with a lot of the right questions and Adams not really dodging with his answers.

Our GM says no more waiting; he plans to be good now. Likes his D and his goalies, wants to get harder to play against, may add to his top 6, will be upgrading his bottom 6. Likes his core, expects to be aggressive rounding the team out.

Whatever moves he makes or does not make, he made his intentions and expectations pretty clear and we can hold him accountable for the results, or lack thereof.

Edited by dudacek
  • Agree 2

Cozens - TT - Tuch (A)

Quinn - Monahan (A) - JJP

Benson - Stephenson - Joshua

Clutterbuck (A) - Jost - Greenway

Dahlin (C) - Byram

Power - Tanev

Joker - Clifton

UPL - Samsonov

Edited by seer775
  • Vomit 1
  • dislike 1

19 minutes ago, seer775 said:

JJP - TT - Tuch

Quinn - Stephenson - Cozens

Benson - Jost - Greenway

Clutterbuck - Krebs - Maroon

Dahlin - Byram

Power - OEL

Joker - Clifton

UPL - Samsonov

Stephenson would be an excellent pick up but I leave Cozens at C and have them compete for 2C.

Clutterbuck has some of what they need.

Sorry but Jost is 13F on a weak team.
Maroon has grit but is slower than Okposo.

OEL has none of the Panther grit and is a LHD.

Samsonov has the Leafs scent on him.

Joshua as a UFA would bump Greenway down to the 4th line. Benson, Cozens and Joshua. He can also play C to help Cozens on draws.

Tanev is a veteran RHD that is a UFA. He would provide the toughness in a pairing with Clark Kent.

20 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Stephenson would be an excellent pick up but I leave Cozens at C and have them compete for 2C.

Clutterbuck has some of what they need.

Sorry but Jost is 13F on a weak team.
Maroon has grit but is slower than Okposo.

OEL has none of the Panther grit and is a LHD.

Samsonov has the Leafs scent on him.

Joshua as a UFA would bump Greenway down to the 4th line. Benson, Cozens and Joshua. He can also play C to help Cozens on draws.

Tanev is a veteran RHD that is a UFA. He would provide the toughness in a pairing with Clark Kent.

Cozens doesn't think like a Centre imo. He likes corners, rushes, and playing the front of the net. Playing wing will allow him to focus on scoring.

Samsonov is a highly underrated playoff borne goalie. Leafs waived him, then started him in the playoffs.

Joshua and Tanev are solid. I'd take either over Maroon/OEL/Greenway.

Jost is an upgrade on Krebs / Girgs.

Edited by seer775

1 hour ago, seer775 said:

Cozens doesn't think like a Centre imo. He likes corners, rushes, and playing the front of the net. Playing wing will allow him to focus on scoring.

Samsonov is a highly underrated playoff borne goalie. Leafs waived him, then started him in the playoffs.

Cap is the issue here so its a mute point.

3 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Cap is the issue here so it’s a moot point.

I think there is cap space this year for a few UFAs like Stephenson, Joshua and a gritty F and D.

When Peterka, Quinn and Byram are due a raise, decisions need to be made who stays or goes.

30 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I think there is cap space this year for a few UFAs like Stephenson, Joshua and a gritty F and D.

When Peterka, Quinn and Byram are due a raise, decisions need to be made who stays or goes.

For a guy or two sure; he’s magically signed

5, Muel is missing and Skinner somehow ceased to be. 

3 hours ago, seer775 said:

I totally agree and have said this all year. I think he's better on the wing and I don't think his ice vision is great at center. He seems to see and favour one side and hence only one of his wingers. I don't know if it's a bad habit or he thinks too slow for the pace or it's just lazy but it's what he does. There is hope Ruff can correct it though. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

For a guy or two sure; he’s magically signed

5, Muel is missing and Skinner somehow ceased to be. 

Jeff gone for future considerations. Mule on IR or waivers.

11 players signed at $60M. $87M - $60M = $27M remaining.

UPL, Monahan, and Stephenson get $4M.

Tanev and Joshua get $3M.

Joker, Samsonov, and Clutterbuck get $2M.

Jost gets $1M.

2 Amerks × $1M reserve.

Total = $27M.

---

Samsonov, Joker, and Jost get a bridge. Everyone else gets a raise plus term. We have a team.

Edited by seer775

3 hours ago, seer775 said:

Jeff gone for future considerations. Mule on IR or waivers.

11 players signed at $60M. $87M - $60M = $27M remaining.

UPL, Monahan, and Stephenson get $4M.

Tanev and Joshua get $3M.

Joker, Samsonov, and Clutterbuck get $2M.

Jost gets $1M.

2 Amerks × $1M reserve.

Total = $27M.

---

Samsonov, Joker, and Jost get a bridge. Everyone else gets a raise plus term. We have a team.

I doubt Skinner has any intention on leaving and Muel isn't just getting waived.

Joker will get 4 mil approximately regardless based on his previous contract.

Stephenson won't take 4mil year for sure

Tanev won't take 3 mil for sure

I do apologize for bursting your bubble.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, steveoath said:

Skinner isn’t going anywhere. If he’s as bad as some make out who’s taking him? 

Buyout for him is not viable this year. 

Skinner will start the season as a top 6 forward. 

Highest paid 3rd liner in history who can't produce.

Say goodbye to the playoffs.

Just now, seer775 said:

Highest paid 3rd liner in history who can't produce.

Say goodbye to the playoffs.

Jeff Skinner is something like 5th in the NHL since 2020 in 5v5 goals. 

Also, saying we should waive Mattias Samuelsson basically makes you lose all credibility. 

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

I doubt Skinner has any intention on leaving and Muel isn't just getting waived.

Joker will get 4 mil approximately regardless based on his previous contract.

Stephenson won't take 4mil year for sure

Tanev won't take 3 mil for sure

I do apologize for bursting your bubble.

There are teams he would play for. Or, buy out his contract. Mule waiver is a no brainer.

Joker gets to walk. Replace with Bryson @ 2M.

Bump Stephenson and Tanev a mil and drop Jost and Clutterbuck. Replace with Amerks. 

The GMs job is to find solutions.

24 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Jeff Skinner is something like 5th in the NHL since 2020 in 5v5 goals. 

Also, saying we should waive Mattias Samuelsson basically makes you lose all credibility. 

Jeff Skinner is a liability anywhere on the ice except directly in front of the net.

Explain why we can't waive Mule.

Have you guys lost your balls?

Edited by seer775

1 minute ago, seer775 said:

There are teams he would play for. Or, buy out his contract. Mule waiver is a no brainer.

Joker gets to walk. Replace with Bryson @ 2M.

Bump Stephenson and Tanev a mil and drop Clutterbuck and Jost. Replace with Amerks. 

The GMs job is to find solutions.

Jeff Skinner is a liability anywhere on the ice except directly in front of the net.

Explain why we can't waive Mule.

Cuz it's a stupid waste of assets. 

• Agree 1