Who will be the next Head Coach of the Buffalo Sabres?

Who will be the next coach of the Sabres?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the next coach of the Sabres?

• Ruff
    • Appert
    • Gallant
    • Brind’amour
    • Other - NHL Rookie
    • Other - NHL re-tread

This poll is closed to new votes

10 minutes ago, Eli Cash said:

It’s astonishing how quickly the players appear to universally admit that the work ethic was not there.  Glad GMKA made the move, but FHCDG doesn’t deserve his former subordinates throwing dirt on his grave.

Adams put such a high value on Character… Fail.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Lindy is what? 64? He's not going to want to coach forever (I assume.) What if you brought back Lindy Ruff while promoting Seth Appert to an associate HC role and presumed heir to the job after Ruff retires?

I don't HATE that idea but I just don't know if I want Ruff back her at at all, even though I loved his time here.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

I don't HATE that idea but I just don't know if I want Ruff back her at at all, even though I loved his time here.

This is where I am at. There are worst options than Ruff - and it is not a loss if we end up with him. But there is a part of me that would hate to see him come in - and the team starts terrible and he gets let go, tarnishing is legacy with the team. I suspect competitive winners do not think like that - and it is more of a 'fan' concern. none the less...it goes through my mind. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

From the "be careful what you wish for" department: Who is goin to spend $650MM to $1B to keep a franchise in Buffalo? Sure, there might be another billionaire from the Buffalo area with a crush on the Sabres. (Although look at the way we treated the last one.) It's way more likely, especially with how Ryan Smith was able to pressure the NHL to sell him the Coyotes, that some out-of-market group would start sniffing around the Sabres. And if you're Terry, how tempting would it be to take a billion with the added bonus of no arena upgrades you have to pay for? 

Would selling the Sabres to outside interests that relocate them sour his thing with the Bills?  

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

Would selling the Sabres to outside interests that relocate them sour his thing with the Bills?  

Maybe not that much. The stadium is being built. PSLs are being sold. The Bills are more regional. Didn't Kim Pegula say there wasn't that much overlap?

5 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Maybe not that much. The stadium is being built. PSLs are being sold. The Bills are more regional. Didn't Kim Pegula say there wasn't that much overlap?

The PSL story is not over and may have long lasting bad consequences.  The stadium is state funded.  The Bills are not any more regional than the Sabres - the games in Toronto proved that, Toronto football fans overwhelmingly cheered for the Bills opponents.  

Kim Pegula proved several times over that she does not understand the fan base or sports management in general.  

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

The PSL story is not over and may have long lasting bad consequences.  The stadium is state funded.  The Bills are not any more regional than the Sabres - the games in Toronto proved that, Toronto football fans overwhelmingly cheered for the Bills opponents.  

Kim Pegula proved several times over that she does not understand the fan base or sports management in general.  

The stadium is only about 50% state funded. Besides, it looks like the story is BS.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Eli Cash said:

It’s astonishing how quickly the players appear to universally admit that the work ethic was not there. 

Would you expect them to say that it was?

And what what this place be saying if they had?

Right now the Sabres, Devils and Sens are looking for a head coach. That number will increase. If the Leafs lose first round there is no way Keefe can be kept on. A couple more teams will probably look for a shakeup if their are surprising first round losses.

1 hour ago, JohninMinn. said:

Lindy. The timing is right this time. We need a Buffalo guy. Bring in Kaner too.

I could be ok with Lindy, still not a fan of Kane.  

The head coach is important. Yes, of course its important. But who is he bringing in with him as assistants may be just as important, or more important. What many are saying here, you want a head coach who is going to set a standard, make a decision to run more up tempo practices.  Be a little harder on some guys.  Have respect from the guys in the room. I think Ruff does all that, as well as some other coaches.

Ultimately I know the head coach is responsible for things, but i also think the power play is run more by the assistant coaches than the head coach (unless the head coach CHOOSES to step in). How the D-man play positionally is more the assistant coaches working with the players, while the head coach oversees everything.  The assistant coaches are breaking down video late at night while the head coach is doing the post game press conferences or having one-on-one conversations with the guys.   

Again, Yes, the head coach does those things too, but I think a great head coach can fail if he doesn't bring in good assistants.  I want my head coach to be 'good' in all those things, but I would almost rather he just competent at them, but for him to set the direction for the team, set the tempo, set the expectations, and have good-to-great assistants working on the X's and O's.

Edited by mjd1001

On 4/18/2024 at 3:11 PM, LGR4GM said:

Someone explain why the love for Peca? He's done almost nothing as an AHL or NHL level coach. 

Correct, no "head coaching" experience.  

Beginning in the 2012–13 season, Peca was named head coach of the Buffalo Jr. Sabres of the Ontario Junior Hockey League (OJHL), where he coached through the 2013–14 season. After the 2012–13 season, he was named OJHL Coach of the Year. In his two years coaching, he had 66 wins in 108 regular season games. Michael Peca served as head coach of the Bantam Major Jr. Sabres in addition to his duties as general manager and director of hockey operations for the Buffalo Jr. Sabres.

On February 10, 2021, Peca was hired by the Washington Capitals to be a player development coach working with the "taxi squad" players for the 2020–21 season. In 2021, he was hired by the Buffalo Sabres as an assistant coach with their American Hockey League affiliate, the Rochester Americans.

Peca was announced as an assistant coach with the Rangers on June 20, 2023, joining under new head coach Peter Laviolette.

Jeff Halpern  - same 

On June 27, 2016, the Tampa Bay Lightning announced that Halpern would serve as a full-time assistant coach for the Lightning's AHL affiliate, the Syracuse Crunch.

On June 22, 2018, the Tampa Bay Lightning named Halpern as assistant coach after parting ways with Rick Bowness. As an assistant coach, he won the Stanley Cup with the Lightning in the 2020 and 2021 seasons. On July 7, 2021, Halpern won his second Stanley Cup as an assistant coach with the Tampa Bay Lightning.

Seth Appert

Coaching career (HC unless noted)

1997–2006Denver (Asst.)

2007US U-18 team (Asst.)

2008US U-18 team

2007–2017Rensselaer

2017US U-18 team (Asst.)

2018US U-18 team

2017–2018Team USA (Asst.)

2017–2018USNTDP

2020–PresentRochester Americans

Neither have head coaching experience.  According to Adams they won't be considered.

Is it neccessary to have NHL experience?

He began his coaching career in 1999–2000 with Lansing Catholic High School and led the team to its first regional hockey championship in 25 years. The following season (2000–01) he served as an assistant with the Capital Centre Pride of the North American Hockey League, the only time during his coaching career he was an assistant. During the 2001–02 season, he was the head coach of the Metro Jets in the North American 3 Hockey League and led the Jets to the Silver Cup – the USA Hockey National Junior B Championship.[7] In 2002–03, he coached the Honeybaked Midget Major AAA team.

In 2003, he returned to the North American Hockey League (NAHL) to coach the expansion Texarkana Bandits. In 2004–05 he was named the NAHL Coach of the Year after leading the Bandits to a 36-15-5 record, then continued with the Bandits franchise when it relocated to St. Louis in 2006–07. During the 2006–07 season, the Bandits captured the Robertson Cup as league champion. The following season the Bandits would once again capture the Robertson Cup. Additionally, he won his second NAHL Coach of the Year that season. He spent a total of five seasons coaching in the NAHL before moving on to coach the Green Bay Gamblers of the United States Hockey League. In his five seasons coaching the Bandits franchise in the NAHL, he compiled an overall record of 198-74-18.

He was the coach of the United States Hockey League (USHL)'s Green Bay Gamblers starting in 2008. He led the team in 2008–09 and 2009–10 to a combined record of 84–27–9.[9] In 2010, the team won the Clark Cup for the League's championship and he was named USHL Coach of the Year. He is the only coach to win a championship in all three tiers of junior hockey in the United States.

In 2010 became NHL Head coach.

Edited by MISabresFan

13 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Right now the Sabres, Devils and Sens are looking for a head coach. That number will increase. If the Leafs lose first round there is no way Keefe can be kept on. A couple more teams will probably look for a shakeup if their are surprising first round losses.

yeah - we shouldnt underestimate the competition we are going to have for the guys we are all talking - berube, gallant, etc... While I don't think most potential candidates will completely thumb their nose at us - it is reasonable to think we are not the number one option for candidates once the season shakes out..

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, WhenWillItEnd66 said:

I am actually surprised we have not heard any rumors on any names. As of now i think we are the only open spot....

Agreed - you would think they would be jumping out of the gate before other openings come up. Not saying they are not trying...

Is it possible Terry is still not decided on KA and is holding off through the weekend before allowing KA to execute his plan? IDK...just a thought...

46 minutes ago, MISabresFan said:

Neither have head coaching experience.  According to Adams they won't be considered.

Is it neccessary to have NHL experience?

The rest of this post was well researched so thank you. I think it comes down though to these 2 sentences. None of those guys have NHL head coaching experience and yes it is necessary because Kevyn Adams said it was. Adams made the point he wanted someone with NHL Head Coaching experience who had also coach as a head coach in the playoffs. Peca doesn't qualify even remotely. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, oddoublee said:

Agreed - you would think they would be jumping out of the gate before other openings come up. Not saying they are not trying...

Is it possible Terry is still not decided on KA and is holding off through the weekend before allowing KA to execute his plan? IDK...just a thought...

Highly unlikely. It is more likely that Adams wanted to fire Granato sometime during the season and Terry made him wait until the season ended than Terry is still deciding on Adams. 

54 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The rest of this post was well researched so thank you. I think it comes down though to these 2 sentences. None of those guys have NHL head coaching experience and yes it is necessary because Kevyn Adams said it was. Adams made the point he wanted someone with NHL Head Coaching experience who had also coach as a head coach in the playoffs. Peca doesn't qualify even remotely. 

The coach mentioned with no previous experience is Jon Cooper - currently the longest tenured coach in the nhl.  Averages 50 wins a season.  Three final appereances and two victories.

• Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, MISabresFan said:

The coach mentioned with no previous experience is Jon Cooper - currently the longest tenured coach in the nhl.  Averages 50 wins a season.  Three final appereances and two victories.

That’s great for Jon Cooper, I love his story. Terry already spent multiple hires trying to look like a genius and hire the next big thing. It didn’t work with Housley. It didn’t work with Krueger. It didn’t work with Granato. 

Everyone wants the next big thing. We don’t have the luxury of that want anymore. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, MISabresFan said:

You aren't listening/reading. Kevyn Adams set out his criteria and one of them was previous NHL head coach experience and NHL head coach playoff experience. The guys you listed do not meet the criteria the GM of the team set forth. The rest of this is irrelevent because again, the General Manager Keveyn Adams, set forth what he is looking for "NHL Head Coach Experience and NHL Head Coach Playoff Experience"

there was a follow up question immediately after if he meant NHL Head Coaching experience and the question was barely out of the reporters mouth before Adams responded "Yes". 

Edited by LGR4GM

Adams ass is on the line here. He even said this is the last coach he will hire if it doesn’t work out. 

Now is not the time for another first time coach who you hope works out.

Now is the time for a seasoned coach with a track record of success. Someone who can quickly put an effective system in place and has the respect of the players from the get go and can hold them accountable.

Peca is a promising assistant coach. He should have been moved up to the Sabres bench as an assistant this year. If he wants to be a head coach he will probably have to go down to the American League and run a bench for a couple years.

If Vegas lose in the first round I wouldn’t put it past that organization to can Cassidy. They don’t mess around.

Edited by Flashsabre

20 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

If Vegas lose in the first round I wouldn’t put it past that organization to can Cassidy. They don’t mess around.

with the way adams talked it sounds like the guy is already available and coming 

I doubt they wait

Edited by Buffalonill

19 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

I agree. With all the veteran coaches out there, replacing the existing coach is maybe the fastest way for a quick reset, culture change. Other coaches who might be vulnerable to a 1st rd playoff loss are Montgomery and Bednar.  It seems crazy that either might have their jobs on the line, and I don’t think there is any indication that it is the case, but they both lost in rd 1 last year. A 2nd straight 1st rd exit and.. 

20 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Man they all threw Donny under the bus. 

Im sure whoever the coach is they will run hard, organized practices.

At the time, there were fans more educated than me who expressed misgivings with the pace and vibe of the practice where Skinner was mic'dup.

Turns out, they were right.

19 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Someone explain why the love for Peca? He's done almost nothing as an AHL or NHL level coach. 

17 hours ago, ska-T Chitown said:

cheekbones?

so comely.