Sabres announce Don Granato, Jason Christie and Matt Smith have been relieved of their duties

Brawndo

56 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

Are they both on expiring contracts? It's not public, but if you look at dates joined, it's entirely plausible.

It’s amazing how not a single person has listened to you. We’d rather complain and assume the worst instead. I would have thought that their contract status would have been the very first thing to come to mind when they weren’t included. 

And as for the Lindy crowd out there: Lindy Ruff would be the best Sabres coach since Lindy Ruff. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, rickshaw said:

I think it’s time to start hiring some handsome guys. Enough of these balding, or hanging onto their hair guys. Let’s get some stud behind the bench. If we can’t win in the ice let’s win on good looks! 

Punch.jpg.dddbe1446b5846aa1fbcc942dc152ef8.jpg

Chiseled features.  

Nice fitting suits. 

Great hat.  

GQ all the way.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

Hamilton was saying that Ellis was not responsible for the PP and it was the head coach who dictates the style of the pp. Ellis was also Adams guy so he may just stick around.

I don't think a new coach isn't going to want to hire their own guys.  

I assume these are all the "managers" - people who had guys reporting directly to them.  The rest of the guys get to interview for their jobs with a new coach/adams(or new GM).  Bales has a pretty solid resume to lean on, and likely ends up with a job here or somewhere else.  Not sure anyone else should be brought back. 

1 hour ago, WhenWillItEnd66 said:

I think Don should be kept for player development. 

Based on the wording of the announcement I think that ship has sailed.

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:
1 hour ago, Crusader1969 said:

Don had a lot of faults but he did a lot of good too

Plus I think we can all agree he is a good man 

wish him the best of luck.

No we can't. We don't know him personally. Maybe some do, I dunno.

I have a pretty good idea of your character without having met you. 

I dunno.

8 minutes ago, ... said:

Disagree. Granato is another in a succession of coaches that has set this team back. What did he teach them that a beast-coach like Maurice, Laviolette or Brind'Amour wouldn't have taught? With someone like the latter three, they would have also learned how to compete like a successful team and at least gained playoff experience.

Geesh.  Captain Obvious comes up with another pearl.

I did not ever compare him to Maurice, Laviolette, or Brind'Amour.   Those guys are at another level no doubt.  

I guess he is not as good as Cooper or Cassidy either? 

19 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

1/3 of the problem has been fixed

Granato(and assistants fired)

Adams fired

Pegula sells the Sabres

Pegula is the common denominator in all of this disfunction. Full stop. Nothing changes until he does. Again, I could be wrong. He may finally get it right. But I have my doubts.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, SJSabres Fan said:

Where’s the Lindy crowd?

I was in on Lindy.  Now that Meatballs is gone.... the reality of bringing Lindy doesn't seem like the best option.

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952em1n3chdexvy5jdjcr

Sabrespase Post of the Day

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

They will be once the new HC is hired

Hopefully.  What if they hire Appert?   Are they still gone? 

This is the Sabres we are talking about.  

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

I personally feel bad for Granato because he seems like a great guy but from a team standpoint that was very much needed to push beyond development central.

Totally agree. I kinda feel about Donnie the way I did about Gailey.

I think Donnie was needed to get these kids to take the next step but ultimately wasn’t good enough to see this thing through. 

I do think with better ownership and better vision from GM he could have gotten this team to the playoffs but never a contender.

Unfortunately anybody who comes into Buffalo as HC will have to overcome both the GM and ownership. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

If Appert is the new HC, I am going to find Pegula in Florida and toss him off the yacht without a life jacket. 

Seriously, there is no way they can go with another zero experience HC  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

If there is even a chance of this happening, then I am hoping the Amerks get thumped badly in the playoffs...even embarassed.  I don't want this team having anything to do with any of its remaining staff....in Buff or Rochester.

• Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

Pegula is the common denominator in all of this disfunction. Full stop. Nothing changes until he does. Again, I could be wrong. He may finally get it right. But I have my doubts.

Your skepticism is reasonable, but remember that after initially hiring the wrong guys to run the Bills, TP replaced them with an outstanding GM-coach combo and gave them a blank check, and the result is that the Bills are an elite NFL franchise.

TP wants the same for the Sabres.  He signed off on this firing despite being on the hook for DG's extension.  He just hasn't found the right guys yet.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1

My guess it’s Ruff. The fans just love him. Me not the right choice

2 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

If Appert is the new HC, I am going to find Pegula in Florida and toss him off the yacht without a life jacket. 

Seriously, there is no way they can go with another zero experience HC  

Fans wouldn’t be excited with the HC from Amerks

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1