GDT - Flyers @ Sabres - Friday, April 5, 2024 - 7:00 PM (EDT)

22 minutes ago, Sabres73 said:

We're still alive as of April 5th. And the finish line is getting closer. What are we up to, a 10% chance?

As of this morning Moneypuck had the Sabres at .7% change of making the playoffs. No way does this win catapult them to 10%

Edited by Sidc3000

One major advantage we have is we have more RWs than everyone above us and winning out would put us somewhere between 32 and 36 RW which at the max only Pittsburgh could match however we'd win on the ROW in that case since we have 2 more ROW

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I need the Sabres to win Sunday so that they are still in it to win it when I go to the game in Dallas Tuesday.

The saving grace for the rest of us is that as long as the Sabres aren't mathematically eliminated, we can avoid having to watch any more Comrie starts.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, inkman said:

Sorry @thewookie1, Torts wouldn’t tolerate 1/2 of the players on this team.  Skinner, Olofsson, Joker, Bryson, Tage, Cozens, all gone. 

Tage and Cozens aren't coasting, just because they don't lay out people in the corner doesn't mean they're dogging it.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, thewookie1 said:

Our best hope is to beat Detroit and Washington in regulation

Have both Florida and Tampa resting starters 

And find a way to get at minimum a point out of Dallas.

Bottom line is we have to win out, and get help. But not as much help as yesterday.

• Like (+1) 1

Making the playoffs or not this year, this stretch of essentially desperate playoff-type games, facing elimination if you lose, is good for this young team. Valuable experience for next year when we're actually in the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Sabres73 said:

Making the playoffs or not this year, this stretch of essentially desperate playoff-type games, facing elimination if you lose, is good for this young team. Valuable experience for next year when we're actually in the playoffs.

It only matters if they make it. We had a similar stretch last year and where did it get us? We are guaranteed to finish with less points

it’s not playoff type hockey. It’s a mix of teams at different points in their seasons

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

Some quick thoughts on this game: UPL would be my first star. He is solidifying the notion that he is a good #1 goalie in the league. He was the difference in this game for us where the Flyers had the edge territorially. 

I like the pairing of Dahlin and Power. I still don't understand the negativity toward Power. Too much criticism is directed toward his style of play. He's not a banger, and never will be. 

Quinn is good and is going to be a core player for us. His injuries and loss from the lineup for much of the season really hurt us. 

Benson is becoming a fan favorite. He's arguably our best forechecker. He and Quinn on the same line has a lot of potential. 

Granato called a time out to excoriate his team. It had an effect!

I like Clifton's game. He was a good pickup. 

A win is a win. One game at a time until the clock runs out. 

• Like (+1) 9

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Some quick thoughts on this game: UPL would be my first star. He is solidifying the notion that he is a good #1 goalie in the league. He was the difference in this game for us where the Flyers had the edge territorially. 

I like the pairing of Dahlin and Power. I still don't understand the negativity toward Power. Too much criticism is directed toward his style of play. He's not a banger, and never will be. 

Quinn is good and is going to be a core player for us. His injuries and loss from the lineup for much of the season really hurt us. 

Benson is becoming a fan favorite. He's arguably our best forechecker. He and Quinn on the same line has a lot of potential. 

Granato called a time out to excoriate his team. It had an effect!

I like Clifton's game. He was a good pickup. 

A win is a win. One game at a time until the clock runs out. 

I agree with what you said. The bolded are problems, IMO.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Slack_in_MA said:

His style of play is not a problem for me. I thought his play with Dahlin was very good in this game. In my opinion this is a very good first pairing that will get nothing but better. Right now, Dahlin is one of the best defensemen in the league. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Slack_in_MA said:

He doesn't need to be a banger, but he absolutely needs to be able to use his size to pin people to the boards, negate their momentum, and win puck battles. He needs to be able to use his reach take away shots and once-or-twice force an offside at the blue line instead of giving up easy entries. And the occasional tie-up of a player and/or his stick to limit deflections in front of the net couldn't hurt, either.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DarthEbriate said:

He doesn't need to be a banger, but he absolutely needs to be able to use his size to pin people to the boards, negate their momentum, and win puck battles. He needs to be able to use his reach take away shots and once-or-twice force an offside at the blue line instead of giving up easy entries. And the occasional tie-up of a player and/or his stick to limit deflections in front of the net couldn't hurt, either.

He is the POLAR OPPOSITE of a banger. He's, what, 6'6" and intimidates no one.

I'm not saying he needs to go out and ram everything in sight, but good God, play to your size.

4 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

He seems to never take someone to the boards instead he lets them come all the way around the net. rub him out and end the play

24 minutes ago, Sabres73 said:

Isn’t that what we said last year?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1