Why should Granato and the assistants be brought back?

LGR4GM

I just don't understand how they can roll it back? 

The team vs fans is at an all time toxic level. They are quick to boo and the team is quick to chirp back through the media and on the ice.

Rolling it back again is likely the most dangerous business decision Pegula and Co. have made since buying the team 13 years ago. More dangerous than the tank. Even a mediocre start is going to create a super tense atmosphere for everybody involved. So what happens then? Fans get worse, players start pushing back, each one-upping each other, driving this franchise further into the ground. 

I have to start wondering if there is some "Major League" to it all? No more spending, don't hire competent staff, refuse to replace the worst ones, stop taking care of the KBC, pull out of the lease in Rochester. 

I don't know if the team leaves Buffalo or changes ownership, but the only thing Terry is doing well is alienating hockey fans in this region. Under those circumstances selling makes a lot of sense as a next move. 

25 minutes ago, Mango said:

I just don't understand how they can roll it back? 

The team vs fans is at an all time toxic level. They are quick to boo and the team is quick to chirp back through the media and on the ice.

Rolling it back again is likely the most dangerous business decision Pegula and Co. have made since buying the team 13 years ago. More dangerous than the tank. Even a mediocre start is going to create a super tense atmosphere for everybody involved. So what happens then? Fans get worse, players start pushing back, each one-upping each other, driving this franchise further into the ground. 

I have to start wondering if there is some "Major League" to it all? No more spending, don't hire competent staff, refuse to replace the worst ones, stop taking care of the KBC, pull out of the lease in Rochester. 

I don't know if the team leaves Buffalo or changes ownership, but the only thing Terry is doing well is alienating hockey fans in this region. Under those circumstances selling makes a lot of sense as a next move. 

The Sabres have served their purpose for Terry. The end game is either he sells or, if there's there some nefarious plot by the league, continues to deliberately wreck it to do the NHL's dirty work.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

The Sabres have served their purpose for Terry. The end game is either he sells or, if there's there some nefarious plot by the league, continues to deliberately wreck it to do the NHL's dirty work.

I think Terry really did and maybe even does want to win a Stanley Cup with the Sabres, but I think he is coming to terms with his failures. I won't be mad if he sells, but I won't ever forgive him if he sells the team and it moves. 

There are some rumors that Golisano put some language around the teams permanency. I don't know if that is true, but I do know that Terry could certainly prevent it if he wanted to, and if he takes $850M from the people in this community to then moves the Sabres he will be dead to me. 

Sabres goals allowed in the 1st period - 91 (worst in the NHL)

Sabres goals for in the 1st period - 59 (7th worst in the NHL)

Sabres 1st period differential - -32 (2nd worst in the NHL) (Chicago is -33, Ana - 19, Stl -13)

Sabres differential for the season 0.  That means we are +32 the rest of the game.

Sabres wins when leading after the 1st period 15 (6th worst in the NHL).  Win % when leading after 1 = .833 (8th best in the NHL)

Wins when leading after the 2nd period - 23 (22nd in the NHL).  Sabres win % when leading after 2 periods = .920 (3rd best in the NHL).  

The stats illustrate that the Sabres slow starts killed this season.  When the Sabres did come out strong, they nearly always won.  The coaching was unsuccessful in solving the problem of the slow starts.  Since KA isn't getting rid of the players, he needs to move on from the coaches that couldn't find a solution to the slow starts. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The stats illustrate that the Sabres slow starts killed this season.  When the Sabres did come out strong, they nearly always won.  The coaching was unsuccessful in solving the problem of the slow starts.  Since KA is getting rid of the players, he needs to move on from the coaches that couldn't find a solution to the slow starts. 

Lots of missed wins and loser points because of the slow starts. Any combination of 6 more points in the standings and we're having a fun April.

Coaching needs to have the team skating hard from the opening faceoff and not starting the game passively. Personnel needs a couple tone-setters for early in the game: an energy line. Something that Okposo and Girgs were unable to do anymore. That doesn't mean you have to run everyone and take penalties, but you can get the crowd home/away and your teammates energized with a fast-paced, hard-skating, aggressive first shift.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Sabres 1st period differential - -32 (2nd worst in the NHL) (Chicago is -33, Ana - 19, Stl -13)

Sabres differential for the season 0.  That means we are +32 the rest of the game.

Sabres wins when leading after the 1st period 15 (6th worst in the NHL).  Win % when leading after 1 = .833 (8th best in the NHL)

Wins when leading after the 2nd period - 23 (22nd in the NHL).  Sabres win % when leading after 2 periods = .920 (3rd best in the NHL).  

The stats illustrate that the Sabres slow starts killed this season.  When the Sabres did come out strong, they nearly always won.  The coaching was unsuccessful in solving the problem of the slow starts.  Since KA isn't getting rid of the players, he needs to move on from the coaches that couldn't find a solution to the slow starts. 

Of course the Sabres score more in the later periods. Once a team goes up by 3 goals, they usually do take their foot of the gas.

I don’t think it’s because of slow starts. I think it’s because they are not very good.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

A couple of things in my mind. First, did you know that Donnie Meatballs has coached the fourth most games all-time in Sabres history??

It’s true. And it’s wild. Coaches in the show are changed like underwear. But we have stood by Meatballs.  That makes me think Donny gets a month next year to have this team in the top three in the division.  

The other thing on my mind is what @oddoublee pointed out to me. The Sabres 05-06 team out of the lockout was only one year older on average than the current team.  Sure the window can open for a long time with this squad…but that’s eye opening. There’s no room for error here and if the Sabres move on in the offseason, I would understand it. 

9 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

A couple of things in my mind. First, did you know that Donnie Meatballs has coached the fourth most games all-time in Sabres history??

It’s true. And it’s wild. Coaches in the show are changed like underwear. But we have stood by Meatballs.  That makes me think Donny gets a month next year to have this team in the top three in the division.  

The other thing on my mind is what @oddoublee pointed out to me. The Sabres 05-06 team out of the lockout was only one year older on average than the current team.  Sure the window can open for a long time with this squad…but that’s eye opening. There’s no room for error here and if the Sabres move on in the offseason, I would understand it. 

The post lockout Sabres had the advantage of growing together in the AHL en route to a Calder Championship. All of the equivalents on our roster now have been throw to the wolves.  

On 4/3/2024 at 2:38 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

That could be argued both ways.

Those who want Granato gone:  This coaching staff can't get the team ready for games!

Those who want Granato to stay:  This coaching staff is great at making adjustments, look at how they get better as the game goes on.

I like this stat, I think its interesting, but I don't put much faith in it to evaluate the coaching staff.  Ultimately with this team they have scored the exact same number of goals that they allowed...you can't be more in the middle with that.

Edited by mjd1001

6 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Those who want Granato to stay:  This coaching staff is great at making adjustments, look at how they get better as the game goes on.

IF they were great at making adjustments, the win total would be significantly higher.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

IF they were great at making adjustments, the win total would be significantly higher.

Or you could say that they just aren't that good of a team yet, in terms of talent, which is why they start out slowly, and the adjustments the coaches make help them.   I'm not saying that is true, but the argument can be made either way.

• Like (+1) 1

I am ok with moving on from Granato. The team failing to reach any level of consistency in their play this season has moved me from thinking he was certainly returning to thinking it may be closer to 50/50. If Adams has a normal GM mandate, then the single most meaningful thing he could do this off-season to send a message that expectations are changing would be to bring in a new head coach who has NHL experience leading teams to winning records and playoff games. There is an argument that it is simply time. 

In fairness to Granato though, for most or all of this season it could be said that 1/2 the lineup or more was made up of players who have not yet reached the prime years of their career. Add in that the lineup had clear weaknesses in grit and leadership (not a shot against any individuals, just an obvious comment on the lineup) and I’m not certain there are many available coaches who would have got more from this team. 

Correct me if I’m wrong, but DG has never been a part of the playoffs as a head coach (obviously) or assistant coach in the NHL.  He may be a good developmental guy but has no clue how to lead a team into the playoffs.  The fact that he had one good year as a HC in the AHL is a non factor.  Every squirrel finds a nut once in awhile…except in Buffalo!!

On 4/3/2024 at 1:54 PM, Demoted said:

I love how a thread goes from getting a new coaching staff to pegula selling the Sabres. 

Apparently the Sabres will only ever win if they are no longer in the WNY area.

I mean…. after 54 years there is no evidence to the contrary.

• Haha (+1) 1

Boudreau or Gallant of the available guys (assuming they would come). 

I think Donnie should be with the Amerks or have some kind of developmental role in the organisation. 

The rest of the coaching staff (except Bales) need to go. 

• Like (+1) 2

If fired, there’s no way a Donnie stays within the organization as a developmental coach or an assistant coach. That’s quite a slap in the face and none of us would accept a demotion like that. For his own self-respect, he’ll move on to a different situation. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Eat the contract. We need a new Head Coach and new Assistants. Keep Bales. Give Adams this offseason to show he can bring a proven NHL winner to Buffalo.

If Granato is back then I am not. We have seen exactly who he is as a coach and how these players don’t respond under him when big games are played. Poor starts to the season, poor starts to games. Special teams, especially the PP has been a joke. I can’t watch him behind the bench anymore.

If Granato is back they are 14 years without playoffs.

Edited by Flashsabre
  • Like (+1) 1