Do You Think We Make The Playoffs NEXT Year?

bob_sauve28

11 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

100% if the tandem of UPL / Levi play a at the level they've played at since the New Year 

Tage will rebound to a 30-35 goal scorer and the PP will improve with new assistant coach

Plus a full season of Jack Quinn

Levi has played at the level of AHLer, literally 

13 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

100% if the tandem of UPL / Levi play a at the level they've played at since the New Year 

Tage will rebound to a 30-35 goal scorer and the PP will improve with new assistant coach

Plus a full season of Jack Quinn

hopes-and-dreams-barney-hopes.gif

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Thorny said:

What they do with the goaltending may yet again be fairly prevalent in deciding the outcome. We did much better with UPL carrying the mail but down the stretch we had to pull up an AHLer to play, because we have no confidence in our backup, and UPL is showing signs of perhaps getting worn down from usage.

Does Levi to play 30-35 next season seem a good bet at this stage of the regime’s drought? Awfully risky

its possible he pulls it off. Or we could be adamant about making the playoffs and look to add a competent back up. Or we could address the roster in other areas in such a notable way so as to make up the difference.

My answer is that playoffs remain imminently achievable. Whether or not we seize that opportunity, I have no idea. The precedent is definitive but the goal is so attainable there’s always a puncher’s chance at least 

Since the new year they’re playing UPL at a 67 game pace. No goalie has played more than 67 games in a season since the 2016-17 season. 

I don’t think any of this is a developmental process. There isn’t a plan. I don’t think we have a “kid line” because we are developing them live. We’re doing it because the roster stinks. 

67 games for UPL isn’t great for him. Levi still looks jumpy, being in blue and gold next year won’t help him shake that any quicker. 

Edited by Mango
Word
  • Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Mango said:

Since the new year they’re playing Levi at a 67 game pace. No goalie has played more than 67 games in a season since the 2016-17 season. 

I don’t think any of this is a developmental process. There isn’t a plan. I don’t think we have a “kid line” because we are developing them live. We’re doing it because the roster stinks. 

67 games for UPL isn’t great for him. Levi still looks jumpy, being in blue and gold next year won’t help him shake that any quicker. 

Who’s been playing at a 67 game pace, UPL? 

2 minutes ago, Sabres73 said:

In my opinion we will make the playoffs next year. Our young players will have another year of experience, while other teams will continue to age out a bit. 

You don’t really “age out”. Edmonton is the 2nd oldest team in the league. Are they are the verge of “aging out”? 

They are getting better and more well rounded 

“Youngest team in the league” is, in fact, a sales job 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Thorny said:

You don’t really “age out”. Edmonton is the 2nd oldest team in the league. Are they are the verge of “aging out”? 

You gave one example - there are many, many teams in the past who have gone through the process of being too old, and having to get younger, despite your claim. No idea what you're talking about with the "sales job" - they legitimately are the youngest team in the league.

13 minutes ago, Sabres73 said:

You gave one example - there are many, many teams in the past who have gone through the process of being too old, and having to get younger, despite your claim. No idea what you're talking about with the "sales job" - they legitimately are the youngest team in the league.

Lol my point is that it’s not something you look to to make the difference on the micro scale that is the turn over from one year to the next. Teams aren’t going to age out over the course of a couple months and we need to make the playoffs NEXT YEAR. Simply getting a bit older won’t bridge the gap from 25th to good.

The only teams in the East among the top 10 oldest anyways are teams at the top of the league like Carolina and Florida 

• Like (+1) 1
  • dislike 1

3 hours ago, sabremike said:

Donny and his staff are the absolute worst coaches in the entire sport and there's ZERO chance any of them will be fired. There is absolutely no chance this team makes the playoffs next season.

Whoa!  Let’s see what the OFF season looks like.  Next season is a NEW season. 

13 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Given the players we have right now they are the first line.  Thompson regaining his 40+ goal form, and Tuch regaining 30+ goal form is certainly good enough.   Skinner is the questionable one. 

Please explain why do you believe Tuch is a 30+ goal scorer? Last season was the only season he has ever broke 30

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Sabres73 said:

In my opinion we will make the playoffs next year. Our young players will have another year of experience, while other teams will continue to age out a bit. 

Young doesn’t mean they will be good enough. I say they just had another year closer to going to a contender. When will everyone realize that the Sabres are a development team for the league. 

the Sabres will continue to be one of the youngest teams in the league because no legitimate player wants to play for them. They will always have to dress 18-20 year olds. I’m sure there will be very little moves by andams and he’ll bring up a couple players from ROC next season. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Thorny said:

Lol my point is that it’s not something you look to to make the difference on the micro scale that is the turn over from one year to the next. Teams aren’t going to age out over the course of a couple months and we need to make the playoffs NEXT YEAR. Simply getting a bit older won’t bridge the gap from 25th to good.

The only teams in the East among the top 10 oldest anyways are teams at the top of the league like Carolina and Florida 

The current Sabres team is too young. That’s a legitimate excuse for the  players collectively and for the coaching staff to a degree.  Experience, and physical and mental maturity are unquestionable factors in how a professional sports team performs. The players have no control over how experienced they are and the coaches have little or no control over the age of the players at their disposal.   

Management does not get to use the team’s youth as an excuse though. This is because management has control over this. This team had cap space and an abundance of assets that would have allowed them to ice a more experienced, and more physically and mentally mature roster, and they chose not to do so. 

• Agree 1

We have a lot of solid pieces but I do believe we need better coaching all ‘round. 

I take the Canucks as an example. Tocchet took a team playing loosey goosey and brought in a coaching staff that were top level when they played. And they’re all in the same page. And the team has structure.

I’m sure everyone likes DG but he’s too nice. They need discipline and structure and assistant coaches with clout. In Vancouver QH has Gonchar making suggestions or tweaks, and QH can respect that. In Buffalo we have Matt Ellis running the PP, a journeyman plug. Nobody is respecting his takes, nobody.

Once coaching staff is sorted then it’s time to decide on making another hockey trade like CM for Byram. I’m not on board moving Power as defense is too easily given up on. We have 3 top defense now and we need to build around them. Moving some top prospects should start happening and possibly moving in from a TT for another more well-rounded forward should be considered. I believe someone like Krebs needs a top level coach to bring out his best. Many do. 

Will we make it next year? How can anyone know? But it’s easy to say no.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Thorny said:

I also think it is an EXCUSE used by the Sabres for failed seasons

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

From Reddit Sabres. Down 5-3, on the PP, season on the line, coach calls a timeout and…..nothing. No fiery pep talk, no board out for strategy. This was a disgrace.

This clip basically tells the entire story of where this organization is right now.🤬

Edited by Flashsabre
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

23 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

From Reddit Sabres. Down 5-3, on the PP, season on the line, coach calls a timeout and…..nothing. No fiery pep talk, no board out for strategy. This was a disgrace.

This clip basically tells the entire story of where this organization is right now.🤬

Its pathetic. Its shite like this that led me to say in the gdt that its time to do some coaching Donnie.

54 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Random but jj peterka just looks like a young pominville lol

Maybe it's just me 

3 hours ago, Carmel Corn said:

I also think it is an EXCUSE used by the Sabres for failed seasons

It’s absolutely an excuse used by the Sabres. A bad one, at that. Intentionally going hyper-young isn’t a loophole for having expectations. The only thing that matters in year 4 of a plan is delivering actual results. If your team is too young to do it: your plan is exceptionally faulty

They’ll probably be even younger next season: it doesn’t mean anything. Cobbling together a young team isn’t hard. People realize literally anyone can do that, right? All Adams has done is collect a *perception* of the future. He continues to add pieces that make people perceive the future to be good. It means literally nothing if the perception of that future never crosses paths with the present 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1