GDT / Islanders @ Sabres, Thurs 3/14, 7pm MSG, ESPN+ & WGR Radio

2 minutes ago, Claude Balls said:

Yikes.....not impossible, but also a tall task. 

The team is working hard, playing good defense, and the scoring is waking up.  They beat a run-and-gun team last time, they beat a grind-out-out team tonight.  With UPL in goal they wan win any given game.  With UPL in goal they can win every game.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I’m not overstating it, I’m listening to the words of someone who knows way more about it than me 

I’m sorry if it doesn’t fit the side you’ve already chosen in advance to come down on 

Whatever that is supposed to mean. Your opinion is no more valid than mine.

2 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I’ve always liked Byram and even more now that I can see him more often and in B&G. I believed Dahlin needed a stay at home partner but this might work. Breakout artists, possession demons and riverboat gamblers. The other team doesn’t know what will happen next. Once they get more familiar with each other watch out.

It's like having TWO Josh Allens on your team.  How can anyone stop THAT?

Just now, JoeSchmoe said:

Loving being so incredibly wrong on UPL! Having a good goalie is so inspirational for the team in front of him. You can really see it in this team.

UPL is starting to make it "having a walrus in goal" easy.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Sabres73 said:

Whatever that is supposed to mean. Your opinion is no more valid than mine.

Maybe even less so. That’s my point 

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I’m not overstating it, I’m listening to the words of someone who knows way more about it than me 

I’m sorry if it doesn’t fit the side you’ve already chosen in advance to come down on 

6 minutes ago, Sabres73 said:

I just disagree with that. They needed to determine what they had with their three goalies and the only way to do it was play them for a short period of time. I'm perfectly fine with that. And many here would have traded UPL early in the season, and then where would we be?

Not sure how much you know about goalies. They play better with regular work. They want to know going into the season if they're #1 or #2. Every top goalie will tell you that. Goalies are a strange breed, (I was one for a long, long time, albeit at a lower level). Even Levi in Rochester is playing much better, knowing he is the true #1 down there. 

2 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Loving being so incredibly wrong on UPL! Having a good goalie is so inspirational for the team in front of him. You can really see it in this team.

It just might be time to change my profile pic.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

UPL is starting to make it "having a walrus in goal" easy.

3 minutes ago, Claude Balls said:

Not sure how much you know about goalies. They play better with regular work. They want to know going into the season if they're #1 or #2. Every top goalie will tell you that. Goalies are a strange breed, (I was one for a long, long time, albeit at a lower level). Even Levi in Rochester is playing much better, knowing he is the true #1 down there. 

“What could Adams have even done! Goalies be CRAZY! They’re VOODOO! Impossible to predict and flakes!”

”ehhhhhhhhhhhh I’m sure an ususual set up with 3 goalies, known for their level-headedness is no issue at all”

make it make sense

Edited by Thorny
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Claude Balls said:

I know plenty about goalies, what a strange thing to say. Yes, that's an ideal situation, but at times a teams goaltending situation is in a temporary state of flux. You don't get optimal situations all the time. You work through it. Your goaltenders are professional athletes. You see what you have, then you make decisions. 

18 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Yes, listening to Jake Allen on TSN was an eye opener: he as asked about playing in a 3-man rotation and went out of his way to say how difficult it makes it for all 3 goalies for a myriad of reasons. Said it affected performance of all 3. It’s not even just UPL who suffered from it early on, but all the goalies 

it’s just a glaring misfire of a set up by the GM and I’m glad it won’t be there going forward 

It harder just to run practice too. 

17 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It’s not 

It’s not a great win?

They have somehow climbed back into the playoff race.  I think they’ll have to recall Levi for the last West Coast as he gives us a much better chance of winning over Comrie.

I know plenty about goalies, what a strange thing to say. Yes, that's an ideal situation, but at times a teams goaltending situation is in a temporary state of flux. You don't get optimal situations all the time. You work through it. Your goaltenders are professional athletes. You see what you have, then you make decisions. 

Exactly. That “non optimal, temporary situation” was one Adams carefully crafted for *4 years*. Made his own bed. 4 years.

if the expectation is playoffs, it’s playoffs. We measure how the goaltending was handled relative to achieving that goal, the goaltending output for all 82.

the best argument here for it being ok is: we might make the playoffs. 

RESULTS. Stop moving the goalposts. We will know if the roster was handled appropriately based on the results 

2 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

It harder just to run practice too. 

He spoke about that specifically

• Like (+1) 2

They shoulda know what they had 2 years ago. Goaltending should not be an issue every year. And to be honest, not only do I think you don't know much about goaltending, but after reading many of your other posts, I don't think you know much about hockey in general. Sorry. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

It’s not a great win?

They have somehow climbed back into the playoff race.  I think they’ll have to recall Levi for the last West Coast as he gives us a much better chance of winning over Comrie.

Lol 

The other sentence I quoted 

7 minutes ago, Believer said:

I doubt seriously DG asked for three goalies… Had to be Adams and or Pegula… Just like using final three preseason games to audition prospects who had no chance of making the roster instead of playing regulars to get ready for the opening games… Cost us a month… 

The Sabres weren't trying to make three goalies work, they were trying to make one goalie, Levi, work.

Adams (and Granato) took a huge risk trying to make a 22 year old rookie their starter this season, instead of sending him to Rochester to develop.

When Levi faltered, they turned to Comrie, who was injured or sucked, depending on the day.

That forced them turn to UPL, who was shaky at best last season, but he was only 23 for most of that year.  The vast majority of goalies are not ready to be NHL starters at 23.  Miller, Ullmark and Hasek weren't #1 goalies until they were older than 25.

So instead of trusting UPL's development as a 24 year old, Adams and Granato went with Levi.

It was a cluster#### of a decision that will probably cost the Sabres a playoff spot this season.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 3

24 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Yes, listening to Jake Allen on TSN was an eye opener: he as asked about playing in a 3-man rotation and went out of his way to say how difficult it makes it for all 3 goalies for a myriad of reasons. Said it affected performance of all 3. It’s not even just UPL who suffered from it early on, but all the goalies 

it’s just a glaring misfire of a set up by the GM and I’m glad it won’t be there going forward 

Bingo!!!

But what does Jake Allen know? 🤔