GDT / Islanders @ Sabres, Thurs 3/14, 7pm MSG, ESPN+ & WGR Radio

7 hours ago, Pimlach said:

No doubt the defense is better than last year and the year prior.  I expected a big improvement considering how bad it once was.  

One nice result of adding Byram is that he pushes 3 other guys down.  

Next step is a big body, a tough stay at home top 4 guy.   A guy that will clear the front of the net and make people pay for touching our goalie.  Get that guy and watch Power flourish.  Because Power is not a physical player, and Byram is not that guy, and Dahlin should not have to be that guy, we need  the #4 defenseman to be that guy.  Did you see Detroit getting chippy with UPL?  When this team gets better this will happen even more if they don’t address it.  

Get that kind of guy at D4, and now look at 5,6,7,8  - pick from Samuelsson, Clifton, Johnson, Joker, and Bryson.   Good teams have depth.  

I know it’s not easy to find these players, especially for a perennial bottom feeder, but that is what Adams is paid to do.  

So yes, the defense is better.  But it’s not there yet, there are too many players that have the same skill set.   We are missing a key ingredient.  

The Sabres are 3 or 4 players away from being a very good team.   I don’t think we have to wait for all these prospects to develop to get there. Adam’s 5th off season is coming.  For most teams his time would be up.  Considering where Buffalo was when he got there he gets another year.  

I agree with your last paragraph. The Sabres have enough assets within the system to add at least three good players this offseason who add some snarl and grit to this roster. 

It's unlikely that the Sabres will make the playoffs this year. If that doesn't provide KA with the urgency to make the required upgrades, then he should be dispatched as a GM. There will be no excuse for not taking action. 

• Thanks (+1) 1