Buyout of Jeff Skinner Numbers

xzy89c1

We have all watched him play. No one will trade for him at even 50%. He is deficient in all areas of the game except cheating to score an occasional goal. Bad on power play, cant kill penalties, does not compete, is not tough, never in own zone long enough to be considered bad.  He scores when on bad teams and is a bad guy to have around. One of the few things Kruger got right was benching him. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

Yup.

It was completely untenable until this season (2022-23 he had the $7.5M roster bonus) and it makes most sense financially after next season in the summer of 2025. The flat cap (and let's be honest, Skinner's goal-scoring last season -- he's a good scorer) also put a bit of a damper on the possibility.

He is a very good player. He's a good 2nd line winger.

He is not a core piece that you build around on any playoff team. He's your...  Alexei Kovalev (who is a lot better than anyone remembers, who also happened to play with Lemieux, Jagr, and Koivu. When did he win his Cup? At age 20. [He played in the NHL until age 39]). And I don't want JJP, Quinn, Kulich, or Benson learning from him.

you might be only person outside him family who thinks he is a very good player

40 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Jeff Skinner, for the 1,000,000 times has a full NO MOVEMENT CLAUSE or an NMC. Good luck getting him to agree to any of the things you say here. 

Matt Savoie. Jiri Kulich. UFA

Will they be ready next year? I mean, there will probably be a few spots open if we trade away a few people here, I would imagine 

40 minutes ago, xzy89c1 said:

We have all watched him play. No one will trade for him at even 50%. He is deficient in all areas of the game except cheating to score an occasional goal. Bad on power play, cant kill penalties, does not compete, is not tough, never in own zone long enough to be considered bad.  He scores when on bad teams and is a bad guy to have around. One of the few things Kruger got right was benching him. 

Times change. Not so long ago, I might have flamed this take.

Now? I substantially agree with it.

Except for the RaKru piece. Eff that guy.

Edited by That Aud Smell
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Jeff Skinner, for the 1,000,000 times has a full NO MOVEMENT CLAUSE or an NMC. Good luck getting him to agree to any of the things you say here. 

Matt Savoie. Jiri Kulich. UFA

in the off chance a playoff team came calling for skinner, you think he would say no to a trade to that team, with only a couple years left on his contract? i am fairly certain he says yes to that.

lord knows the sabres are not a playoff team as constructed in the next year or two. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, xzy89c1 said:

completely agree,  it took this year to see it but now I can't unsee how useless he actually is. 

8 minutes ago, oddoublee said:

in the off chance a playoff team came calling for skinner, you think he would say no to a trade to that team, with only a couple years left on his contract? i am fairly certain he says yes to that.

lord knows the sabres are not a playoff team as constructed in the next year or two. 

Unsure, he might honestly not care  about going to the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 1

The guy is leading the team in goals and consistently puts up 20-40 goals per year when playing a regular shift.  He's aggressive - shooting the puck and crashing the net for rebounds.  He also passes the puck to teammates regularly.  He plays with a bit of an edge and gets under opponents' skin.  Does he have deficiencies?  Sure.  Is he overpaid?  Certainly.  Does he deserve to be benched or bought out?  I don't think so.  If they could trade him and 2/3 of his salary, that might be a win for the Sabres, but that isn't going to happen, so I prefer the Sabres use him for what he's good at.  He's better at doing those things than just about anyone else on the roster.  

• Like (+1) 2

20 hours ago, Mustache of God said:

I've heard (from a friend who knows people in the front office), who after a few drinks let it slip that they are trying to move on from Skinner. It's a move you'd have to eat salary and maybe have a 3rd party take another 25% on top of the 50% you retain.

I'll believe it when I see it but at least they're trying?

Dance Feeling It GIF by MOODMAN