Casey Mittelstadt traded for Bowen Byram

inkman

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

Ok.  Except the top 2 centers that are locked up are both playing worse than Casey, who is our best all around forward. 

Did this trade make the Sabres better?   I would say not by itself.   More moves are required.  Their Defense has high pedigree, but might lack diversity in the roles needed to be successful.  

TNT and Cozens are both battling injuries this season, and terrible coaching/player management.  Mitts is the shiny turd in the toilet bowl this year.  It’s hard for me to use this season as a standalone basis to project how a player’s career is going to go. 

Remember when Girgs was our top scoring forward on a terrible Sabres team?  Look at the rest of his career.  I think Mitts will do better, but it’s unlikely he will ever be a 30+ goal scorer or an effective 2 way C. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

I wish they would have traded for a Vet defenseman for this Casey deal 

Not calling Byram a bad player but we needed a grown adult to keep the kids in line not more kids .

It's 7 months until the next season.  Not a week from Friday.  Team playing out the string until the golf clubs come out. 

I'll observe what the team does until October with players, coaches, GM's etc. 

• Like (+1) 3

I bopped over to HFBoards to see what the Avs fans were saying.  They're pretty happy to get Mitts.  Some, not all, were pissed that Byram was traded.

But the perspective I've developed overnight is this:

Casey is a good center capable of playing 2C on a good team.  The Sabres had anointed their 1C and 2C as Tage and Cozens, with Mitts being the odd man out.  Trading him to Colorado will give him that 2C opportunity.

Byram is a solid, high-end Dman capable of top pairing duty.  The Avs have Makar and Toews so that's never gonna happen there, so Bo is the odd man out.  Trading him to Buffalo will give him that top pair opportunity.

They were both pretty prominent on their former teams, but in spots where the team had other resources and they just weren't in that very top tier.  The trade gives both of them an opportunity to maximize their ceilings.

I'm gonna miss Casey; he's a helluva player, but I'm hoping Byram makes me look back a year from now and acknowledge it was a good trade that improved both teams.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 6

5 minutes ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

TNT and Cozens are both battling injuries this season, and terrible coaching/player management.. 

Thompson's being injured, I've heard. And that seems like a certainty. My concern is that he's got some persisting lower back issues - remember last season? - and that his big frame, short stick, and torque and cork one-time shooting style are all putting him on track for a career shortened or compromised by back issues.

The coaching and management, agreed 100%. 

Question though: Cozens injured? This I have not heard.

• Like (+1) 2

Truth be told I almost threw my phone against the wall when I heard this. That said, it has been mentioned at nauseum on this board that the Sabre's need to shake up the core, as the current group is soft and lackadaisical. Well, here's a real hockey trade that definitely does that and brings in what a majority of the pundits think is an established, young defensive stud! You can't have it both ways. You can't B***H that KA never makes any moves and then when he does, continue to B***H. I realize the drought we are in, I'm a STH who has already reupped again! WE, JOE SIX PACK, aren't privy to what is going on daily, and we shouldn't be. Calling KA a liar is ridiculous. He should show us all his card? That's moronic! That's not how it works in any business. Is it puzzling that we have so many LHD, yep. A stud is a stud though! He is young with playoff, Stanley Cup winning experience! I'm choosing to give this trade a chance, instead of being constantly negative! Some on this thread think they know more than they do and need to take a breath and take a step back. Give it some time and see how it pans out, you might be surprised! Worst case scenario, it doesn't work and you'll have more things to B***H about! Go Sabres!!!

Edited by LETSTUCHINGO
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Thompson's being injured, I've heard. And that seems like a certainty. My concern is that he's got some persisting lower back issues - remember last season? - and that his big frame, short stick, and torque and cork one-time shooting style are all putting him on track for a career shortened or compromised by back issues.

He was wearing the fishbowl after missing time following the fight earlier in the season... not sure if there's anything else.

To me it seems like Dylan's problem this year is chemistry.  Everything was natural and easy centering JJP and Quinn last season.  He hasn't had that same luxury for most of this season.  That said, he needs to be able to play with a variety of wingers, not just the ones he likes best.

• Like (+1) 2

Some more on Byram from the Athletic:

Byram’s on-ice results have never really been stellar aside from that one playoff run, but that’s partially due to injury troubles and having to play with basically everyone but Nathan MacKinnon’s line in Colorado. The team’s depth has taken a serious hit since its Stanley Cup win in 2022 and that limits Byram’s teammate quality given Cale Makar spends so much time with MacKinnon. In previous years he looked like a serious driver when it comes to individual possession-driving and it shows in Corey Sznajder’s tracked data.

Just last year Byram had the profile of a future star in the right situation: someone who can move the puck well in the defensive zone, defend his own blue line, rush up ice and create a serious amount of chances in the offensive zone. There may be other stuff he doesn’t do well that hampered his on-ice results, but skill-wise it looked like Byram had it. His puck efficiency was tremendous across the board.

That’s all changed this year; none of those facets have been true and he’s been below average in every regard except rushing up ice. It’s been a night-and-day change, one that speaks to a need for a change of scenery where he can show more in a top-four role.

Byram wasn’t getting that in Colorado, but he should get more opportunity in Buffalo — even with Rasmus Dahlin and Owen Power around on the left side.

This deal may not look perfectly fair at the moment, but everything hinges on what Byram can become. The talent and opportunity are there for him to make this a win for the Sabres. Can he take advantage of it?

https://theathletic.com/5321783/2024/03/07/16-stats-mittelstadt-byram-colton-parayko-islanders/

• Thanks (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Could be Marfan syndrome.

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Some more on Byram from the Athletic:

Byram’s on-ice results have never really been stellar aside from that one playoff run, but that’s partially due to injury troubles and having to play with basically everyone but Nathan MacKinnon’s line in Colorado. The team’s depth has taken a serious hit since its Stanley Cup win in 2022 and that limits Byram’s teammate quality given Cale Makar spends so much time with MacKinnon. In previous years he looked like a serious driver when it comes to individual possession-driving and it shows in Corey Sznajder’s tracked data.

Just last year Byram had the profile of a future star in the right situation: someone who can move the puck well in the defensive zone, defend his own blue line, rush up ice and create a serious amount of chances in the offensive zone. There may be other stuff he doesn’t do well that hampered his on-ice results, but skill-wise it looked like Byram had it. His puck efficiency was tremendous across the board.

That’s all changed this year; none of those facets have been true and he’s been below average in every regard except rushing up ice. It’s been a night-and-day change, one that speaks to a need for a change of scenery where he can show more in a top-four role.

Byram wasn’t getting that in Colorado, but he should get more opportunity in Buffalo — even with Rasmus Dahlin and Owen Power around on the left side.

This deal may not look perfectly fair at the moment, but everything hinges on what Byram can become. The talent and opportunity are there for him to make this a win for the Sabres. Can he take advantage of it?

https://theathletic.com/5321783/2024/03/07/16-stats-mittelstadt-byram-colton-parayko-islanders/

This though, didn't he have 2 concussions already ? 

39 minutes ago, LETSTUCHINGO said:

Truth be told I almost threw my phone against the wall when I heard this. That said, it has been mentioned at nauseum on this board that the Sabre's need to shake up the core, as the current group is soft and lackadaisical. Well, here's a real hockey trade that definitely does that and brings in what a majority of the pundits think is an established, young defensive stud! You can't have it both ways. You can't B***H that KA never makes any moves and then when he does, continue to B***H. I realize the drought we are in, I'm a STH who has already reupped again! WE, JOE SIX PACK, aren't privy to what is going on daily, and we shouldn't be. Calling KA a liar is ridiculous. He should show us all his card? That's moronic! That's not how it works in any business. Is it puzzling that we have so many LHD, yep. A stud is a stud though! He is young with playoff, Stanley Cup winning experience! I'm choosing to give this trade a chance, instead of being constantly negative! Some on this thread think they know more than they do and need to take a breath and take a step back. Give it some time and see how it pans out, you might be surprised! Worst case scenario, it doesn't work and you'll have more things to B***H about! Go Sabres!!!

I’m trying to determine when Casey Mittelstadt became a fan favorite. Because we had a half decade of everyone hating and I mean HATING 37.  Now every Sabres fan is lamenting the trade.  He’s still, no pull-up all Fortnite Mitts.  Let’s not get it twisted. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, oddoublee said:

i like dylan - i just notice he is considerably better on the wing - and legit as a top 6 forward. i dont think he solves our long term issue with solidifying the 'spine' of the forward groups. 

but i seem to be in the minority as most fans believe our 1 and 2 C is set

So far, this trade made a bigger hole than what it filled.  I think more acquisitions must happen.  

We need two more centers.  A 4C and a 2/3C. I do not see our prospects pool having NHL ready centers next season.  

Our defense with EJ out, and Byram in, just got younger  

Bo  Dahlin

Power Muel

Johnson Clifton

Joker Bryson. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

So far, this trade made a bigger hole than what it filled.  I think more acquisitions must happen.  

We need two more centers.  A 4C and a 2/3C. I do not see our prospects pool having NHL ready centers next season.  

Our defense:  

Bo  Dahlin

Power Muel

Johnson Clifton

Joker Bryson. 

You have Joker as 7D?

4 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Our defense with EJ out, Byram in just got younger  

Bo  Dahlin

Power Muel

Johnson Clifton

Joker Bryson. 

Cozens isn't a 2nd line center? I realize he is having an off year, but he'll be fine! Ease up Chicken Little!

34 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

This though, didn't he have 2 concussions already ? 

Three to date… Last one in ‘21.

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

When his face was punched in.  He took a while to come back from that and play with confidence again. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, inkman said:

I’m trying to determine when Casey Mittelstadt became a fan favorite. Because we had a half decade of everyone hating and I mean HATING 37.  Now every Sabres fan is lamenting the trade.  He’s still, no pull-up all Fortnite Mitts.  Let’s not get it twisted. 

Not a fan favorite for me though I've been very happy to see his growth. But -- the moment it clicked for me was the outdoor game at home in Toronto. Mitts got to the boards, reversed checked some hapless Leaf (probably Brodie, or Sandin? or similar undersized defenseman) into oblivion, and then calmly went about making a pass.

Since then, he's been their most consistent player along the boards, and has created numerous goals simply by winning battles, calmly possessing the puck, and then making quality passes. No other center on this roster is anywhere close to Mitts' skill along the wall and only Okposo and Greenway and Benson are anywhere near as consistent in their efforts along the boards. He'll be missed the remainder of this season for certain.

(All that said, it doesn't mean it was a bad trade. And we won't really know the trade's value until additional moves are made and Byram is 2 seasons into his Sabres career or traded rather than extended.)

5 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Our defense with EJ out, Byram in just got younger  
Bo  Dahlin
Power Muel
Johnson Clifton
Joker Bryson. 

That's the real trick, isn't it. And it'll cost us something extra. 17 thousand. All in advance.

We already needed a 4C to take defensive zone draws and be "harder to play against", and now we need that and 2C equivalent. Krebs? Maybe. Kulich? He's a sniper at heart, not a grinder.

I think it'll shake out in the end:
Byram - Dahlin; Power - RJohnson; Muel - Clifton. And Joker will have a completely respectable career somewhere else -- Sekera-like, or the complementary Lydman type.

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, inkman said:

True, but he came into his own the past two seasons… Not the same player you are recalling, imo 

https://www.nhl.com/avalanche/player/casey-mittelstadt-8479999