Trade Deadline Predictions - Who Comes, Goes, and Who Stays?

Who gets traded?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Who gets traded? (Pick as many as you feel will be traded by Friday at 4 pm)

• Girgensons
    • Okposo
    • Mittlestadt
    • Jokiharju
    • Robinson
    • Bryson
    • Jost
    • Comrie
    • Olofsson
    • Skinner
    • Eric Johnson
    • Stillman
    • Other
  2. 2. Where would you most like to see Adams add to this team? (pick one)

• Top 4 D
    • Depth D
    • Backup goalie
    • Top 6 forward
    • Bottom 6 winger
    • Bottom 6 center
  3. 3. How many deals does KA complete by the deadline Friday

• more than 4

This poll is closed to new votes

If we had a GM who actually wanted to make significant trades, it's more likely to happen during the summer/off-season. 

KO, Girgs and other minor sunset moves more likely to be made now. 

Never say never but I don't view KA/DG wanting to change anything. Too in love with their guys. Detached from reality and playoff hockey. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2

I think he'll be more active than we think.  KO, Z, EJ, and someone else will be traded off the team.  I also see 1 or two players added.  One player will be on an expiring contract to help a team clear cap space and give us a warm body to replace a departed player (possibly in the same deal such as Z for cap dump and a 4th).  Another player with term (or a pending RFA) similar to the Greenway deal last year.  Perhaps someone like Chychrun or Boone Jenner.

Another in a long line of seasons as sellers at the deadline.

Oh my, how exciting /s

i think all 3 of KO, ZG, and EJ will find new homes.  And the rest of this season will be even more unbearable to watch as whatever 4th line we assemble gets caved in game after game and a fleet of unprepared and unready kids get trotted out and fed to the wolves.

I just can’t anymore.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3

Im waving my no trade clause and I’m trading myself to the Maple Leafs fan base just to get back at the Sabres. My 1 year deal ends next year. I’ll come back to the Sabres as a UFA next year 

Edited by OverPowerYou
  • Vomit 1

Kyle and EJ. 

VO - there will be no takers. 

Joker will be to expensive

Girgs and ER stay, as I think KA will want to resign them both. 

This team really needs a Top 6 forward. More scoring options needed to free up Tage - and Vet depth is needed for when players like Tuch and Quinn are out - or Skinner is on a cold spell. Our current depth is way way too young. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, OverPowerYou said:

Im waving my no trade clause and I’m trading myself to the Maple Leafs fan base just to get back at the Sabres. My 1 year deal ends next year. I’ll come back to the Sabres as a UFA next year 

But the grass is greener on the other side of UFA. Once you get a taste of the playoffs and folks can see what you can do when you’re free of the Sabres, you’ll sign on with the Kings or Preds or Wild.

37 minutes ago, Weave said:

And the rest of this season will be even more unbearable to watch as whatever 4th line we assemble gets caved in game after game and a fleet of unprepared and unready kids get trotted out and fed to the wolves.

I’m going to take a more positive point of view.  I didn’t want KO, Z, VO or Jost back this season and I’ll be happy to see the back of them.  I sincerely think KA will find at least two players with term (or RFAs) to replace the dearly departed and we’ll be better off for it.  Last season he acquired Stillman (bad) and Greenway (good) with term.  He also took Bjork (terrible) with term in the Hall deal. 

I also don’t think they’ll force the kids into the lineup for the remainder of this season.  They are trying to make the playoffs in Rochester and need their best players there. 

44 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Olofsson, E. Johnson, Okposo and Girgs are all moved 

Comrie might get moved

Sabres likely look to acquire a bottom 6 player seeing as Top 4 D and Top 6 Forwards with any term aren't usually available at the deadline. 

I really don't think Olofsson gets moved.  Maybe for 'future considerations' that basically mean you move him for nothing. Even then, why not just waive him?  The problem is, right now he is a guy that other teams might think there is a 20% chance can contribue as a scorer, but an 80% chance he won't be able to contribue in any meaningful way. Then the issue is, that nearly $5m contract (at least what is left of it this year).

No way anyone wants him at all unless the Sabres retain money.  But, each team can only retain money on 3 guys...Why would the Sabres do that?  Even if you retained almost all of his contract, what are you getting, a 7th rounder?  I would rather not retain money at all, on the SLIGHT chance a last minute deal comes up for someone else (or multiple guys) that someone gives you something of VALUE but only if you retain money.  I mean, the Sabres might even be in a position to be the '3rd party' on someone else's trade where they retain money and get a higher pick for doing that than they would for Whatever VO gets.

I actually think, in a PERFECT situation, VO can have a role on a team...it just seems that the Sabres are clearly no longer that team...and any team that wants him is best off taking a run at him in the offseason for nothing.

34 minutes ago, oddoublee said:

Kyle and EJ. 

VO - there will be no takers. 

Joker will be to expensive

Girgs and ER stay, as I think KA will want to resign them both. 

This team really needs a Top 6 forward. More scoring options needed to free up Tage - and Vet depth is needed for when players like Tuch and Quinn are out - or Skinner is on a cold spell. Our current depth is way way too young. 

I could see Zemgus and Robinson being moved if there is a market for them (not sure what it would be for Robinson but I think Zemgus could get a mid-level prospect or a mid round pick), and I think they could still be resigned next year if they are moved.  A player like that, a team isn't going to trade for a 4th liner and then make it a priority to extend them.

Okposo.  Yes, I think he has lost a step skating this year, but I actually think he will be in demand. Someone who supposedly is respected around the NHL, a guy that teamates like enough to be captain, on pace for 16-17 goals WITH limited minutes.  If you are a playoff team looking for an upgrade on your 4th line...maybe even if you have holes on your 3rd line, he would be someone that might be at the top of lists of shoppers.

Another thing to consider...contracts.  The Sabres have a lot of prospects already, and I'm pretty sure the NHL has a limit on the total number of contracts a team can give out. You keep accumulating later round picks....a lot of those are basically going to be thrown away if in a couple years you have a draft class of 10 guys and you only have room to sign a couple.  With that said, unless you get a bunch of late round picks, and you take a 6th and a 7th and flip them into a late 5th.  You take that 5th and package it with your 2nd to move up 3-4 spots to get the guy you want in that round.  OR...I'd almost rather have those picks for 2025 and NOT 2024.  If you take 2024 late round picks...they are going to get used this year.  Accumulate mid-to-late round picks in 2025, and you can use those to BUY at next years deadline. You aren't buying at this years deadline.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I’m going to take a more positive point of view.  I didn’t want KO, Z, VO or Jost back this season and I’ll be happy to see the back of them.  I sincerely think KA will find at least two players with term (or RFAs) to replace the dearly departed and we’ll be better off for it.  Last season he acquired Stillman (bad) and Greenway (good) with term.  He also took Bjork (terrible) with term in the Hall deal. 

I also don’t think they’ll force the kids into the lineup for the remainder of this season.  They are trying to make the playoffs in Rochester and need their best players there. 

KA explicitly said there were going to be tryouts once the playoffs were lost.  He’s going to replace the players that leave at the deadline with kids.

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Weave said:

KA explicitly said there were going to be tryouts once the playoffs were lost.  He’s going to replace the players that leave at the deadline with kids.

Try outs doesn’t necessarily mean calling up Kulich and leaving him in Buffalo for the season.  Two years ago Quinn and JJP received two games in Buffalo.  I don’t see Rosen or Kulich getting an extended tryout.  It’s more likely someone like Rousek gets a longer look to see if he can replace Z or KO long term as a 4th liner. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

22 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Try outs doesn’t necessarily mean calling up Kulich and leaving him in Buffalo for the season.  Two years ago Quinn and JJP received two games in Buffalo.  I don’t see Rosen or Kulich getting an extended tryout.  It’s more likely someone like Rousek gets a longer look to see if he can replace Z or KO long term as a 4th liner. 

Rousek is about 60 games overdue for the tryout, particularly since VO has been the #13 all season.

• Agree 2

42 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Pick your kid, then.  Regardless, any vet being shipped out will have an AHLer replacing him for the remainder of the season.

2 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

I could see Zemgus and Robinson being moved if there is a market for them (not sure what it would be for Robinson but I think Zemgus could get a mid-level prospect or a mid round pick), and I think they could still be resigned next year if they are moved.  A player like that, a team isn't going to trade for a 4th liner and then make it a priority to extend them.

Okposo.  Yes, I think he has lost a step skating this year, but I actually think he will be in demand. Someone who supposedly is respected around the NHL, a guy that teamates like enough to be captain, on pace for 16-17 goals WITH limited minutes.  If you are a playoff team looking for an upgrade on your 4th line...maybe even if you have holes on your 3rd line, he would be someone that might be at the top of lists of shoppers.

Another thing to consider...contracts.  The Sabres have a lot of prospects already, and I'm pretty sure the NHL has a limit on the total number of contracts a team can give out. You keep accumulating later round picks....a lot of those are basically going to be thrown away if in a couple years you have a draft class of 10 guys and you only have room to sign a couple.  With that said, unless you get a bunch of late round picks, and you take a 6th and a 7th and flip them into a late 5th.  You take that 5th and package it with your 2nd to move up 3-4 spots to get the guy you want in that round.  OR...I'd almost rather have those picks for 2025 and NOT 2024.  If you take 2024 late round picks...they are going to get used this year.  Accumulate mid-to-late round picks in 2025, and you can use those to BUY at next years deadline. You aren't buying at this years deadline.

definitely a market for Z - he is a legit 4th liner any good team could benefit from. all the more reason i am cool with the sabres keeping him. if they get a 3rd or 4th - and then resign him, homerun.

great point on contracts and not talked about enough - always been my main concern with GM's who overvalue and/or overprotect their high-level prospects. you cannot keep them all, plus future draft picks. why would a GM want to keep all those gambles anyway? 

i do not think KA will do it - but i would be in love with the idea of seeing a couple high draft picks and a few high-level prospects go for a couple vets with 2 years of term. which prospects? candidly, don't care. none are 'sure' things. 

6 minutes ago, Weave said:

Pick your kid, then.  Regardless, any vet being shipped out will have an AHLer replacing him for the remainder of the season.

I know the org is big on fostering a winning culture starting in Rochester.  I’m curious how Adams balances that with getting a look at the youngins.  

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, inkman said:

I know the org is big on fostering a winning culture starting in Rochester.  I’m curious how Adams balances that with getting a look at the youngins.  

The other issue is help NOW for the Sabres. Everyone keeps saying the Sabres aren't out of it. If KA believes it don't you keep your KOs ZGs and EJs?

The question answers itself. With the team squarely in the hunt last year he did Zippo.

2 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

The other issue is help NOW for the Sabres. Everyone keeps saying the Sabres aren't out of it. If KA believes it don't you keep your KOs ZGs and EJs?

The question answers itself. With the team squarely in the hunt last year he did Zippo.

Well here is a start

Well that was quick.  If I knew Adams would react so fast to my thread I would have posted it two months ago.

Hate the trade.  I guess the trade is part of the internal Pegula spending cap.  5 LHDs, and we got younger and more injury prone, and lost our best playmaker in the process.  Joki’s agent must be sitting in his office laughing his ass off.