GDT: Knights @ Sabres 3-2-2024 7pm ESPN+ Hulu

So where was this in November and December?

If they'd played like this all year we'd be in the playoffs. As enjoyable as this game was, and it was, the frustration for me is how it's too late AGAIN. 

The only explanation I can come up with is KA botched goaltending. He put all his faith in an instant Levi and when the goaltending was sucking this team basically quit on the season. They felt there was no point as no matter how well they played they couldn't win without a goalie. It took a number of games to "believe" but now they feel they do have a goalie and so they are giving the effort again. That's all I can come up with, but whatever the reason, this is not the team we watched in late 2023. 

Pity it's too late. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 7
  • dislike 1

6 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

If they'd played like this all year we'd be in the playoffs. As enjoyable as this game was, and it was, the frustration for me is how it's too late AGAIN. 

The only explanation I can come up with is KA botched goaltending. He put all his faith in an instant Levi and when the goaltending was sucking this team basically quit on the season. They felt there was no point as no matter how well they played they couldn't win without a goalie. It took a number of games to "believe" but now they feel they do have a goalie and so they are giving the effort again. That's all I can come up with, but whatever the reason, this is not the team we watched in late 2023. 

Pity it's too late. 

Maybe UPL needed to 'get in a groove' and get consistent play...but when he DID play early in the year, he didn't play all that well.

Through December...he DID play more games than any other goalie...he was 7w-10L, 3.13gaa and only an .892 save percentage.

Since January 1,  11w-7L, 1.84gaa and .934 save percentage.

His play, and the entire team (mostly the forwards up front getting back in the D-zone), I don't know if I remember a team playing a totally different game, like flicking a light switch...when the Calendar changed from 2023 to 2024.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Pity it's too late. 

Frankly I disagree only because the players seemed very positive about Levi. If anything I’d say Comrie’s performance was more of the stab in back versus them going in disinterested.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Sabres73 said:

This is why I think major trades restructuring the team would be a tragic mistake. Healthy Quinn and Samuelson next year - we need another D, VO and KO will be gone, bring up Kulich next year, Levi to back up and we're pretty good to go. 

No way. The roster needs a shake-up. Samuelson has demonstrated he can't stay healthy and is therefore unreliable. I'm afraid Quinn is our new Connolly. We need our own Tkachuk.  

Thompson has been unreliable, Skinner is mono-dimensional and Tuch has disappeared. Power is a turnover machine with no physical presence whatsoever. 

None of Kulich, Rousek, Rosen, et al, will add anything to this team. 

Adams needs to get his head out of his keister and make some bold moves or we'll see yet another season just like the last two.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • dislike 2

9 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

The only explanation I can come up with is KA botched goaltending. He put all his faith in an instant Levi and when the goaltending was sucking this team basically quit on the season.

It’s also possible Levi’s presence pushed UPL.  

Iron sharpens iron.  

Internal competition.  You need to feel like everyone around you makes you want to be better.  

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, inkman said:

ESPNs discussion about Rempe is mad cringe.  Super dinosaur *****.  Holy *****. 

My main memory of Rempe was watching him try to address a lay-'em-out Kozak check in a T-Birds/Winterhawks tilt. Kozak saw him coming and leaned into him and stopped Rempe in his tracks. Rempe looked confused, then skated away. However, he looks to have put on another 20-30 pounds since then. Still, if he's going to fight in every game, he's probably not going to last long in the modern game.

13 minutes ago, ... said:

Goaltending let them down the first half as well: the three-headed monster comingled with the Levi experiment. Adams was too slow to make up his mind.

In hindsight, Levi should not have started the season. But he at least put up some NHL backup-adjacent numbers. Comrie has played as well as the powerplay all season.

2 hours ago, Sidc3000 said:

Vegas became Vegas 

...and then they weren't.  They played almost one decent period (end of first, beginning of second) but other than that the Sabres were clearly the better team.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Mr Peabody said:

Playing much more aggressive with Mitts. I think he was deferring the shot to Tage too often. 

I also think Tage has more confidence passing the puck to Greenway.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, ... said:

No way. The roster needs a shake-up.

A bit severe, but agree with you in principle… Roster needs to be retooled.

• Like (+1) 1

Winning out - as much as possible - is just absolutely vital to help show guys reluctance to maybe waive any NMCs to come here that this team is ready.  

These aren’t meaningless games.  

We need them to absolutely dominate down the stretch.  

Maybe it doesn’t matter.  I’d like to think a statement needs to be made whether we get in or not.  

Edited by Second Line Center
  • Like (+1) 3

58 minutes ago, KC Scouts said:

6 Sabres have done it....Cozens is the 7th

1 Don Luce 12/22/1974 at WSH

2 Bob Sweeney 04/01/1995 at NYI

3 Michael Peca 12/31/1997 vs. OTT

4 Alexei Zhitnik 03/19/1998 vs. FLA

5 Evander Kane 10/07/2017 at NYI

6 Brandon Montour 03/31/2021 vs. PHI

Luuuuce

Luuuuke 

I Liiiiike it. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Believer said:

A bit severe, but agree with you in principle… Roster needs to be retooled.

I don't completely disagree, but you set me up for a reference from one of the best movies of all time.

6ef8aa39-50bf-4657-be25-749a3655d9ec_text.jpg

• Haha (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Pity it's too late. 

The goaltending was inconsistent and so were all the other facets of the game.  Scoring still is.  

They just were not mentally ready to play at this level.  I didn’t like the preseason. They had tryouts for too long into the regular season. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, KC Scouts said:

6 Sabres have done it....Cozens is the 7th

1 Don Luce 12/22/1974 at WSH

2 Bob Sweeney 04/01/1995 at NYI

3 Michael Peca 12/31/1997 vs. OTT

4 Alexei Zhitnik 03/19/1998 vs. FLA

5 Evander Kane 10/07/2017 at NYI

6 Brandon Montour 03/31/2021 vs. PHI

The Montour one was hilarious as well, an ENG SHG and then he scores with less than a minute 5v5 with a goalie.