GDT: Vancouver Canucks @ Buffalo Sabres 4 pm MSG radio 550 am

bob_sauve28

13 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It could end up coming down to the coach, but I still think Granato would be performing better without such a neglectful offseason from Adams. It comes back to that for me because it undercuts Granato’s efforts and also leads into your question about Torts. It’s probably a lot that, but also a reflection of they fact we realistically overachieved last season because all those careers years happening at the same time clearly isn’t something we can expect with anything close to consistency. Offseason should have reflected that.

No, it’s not that the additions in and of themselves make up the gap between between the way our top guys performed this year vs last: they make up a bit of the gap, and but theoretically help drive the performance of the current core to a better outcome that we’ve seen thus far. A few changes can go a long way. 

Maybe some of it does come back to just purely needing an uptick from the core. But just because we need that too doesn’t mean we also don’t need them to be supported. We actually needed to IMPROVE from last year.

Regulars on this board keep repeating the same things over and over, but they are true and remain true to this day:

-This team is now getting better goaltending than last year.  They are allowing less goals.  The MAIN things that are worse this year than last year are simply Cozens production and Thompson's production.  Cozens is even getting about the same number of shots and opportunities. 

This team top to bottom is slightly BETTER last year except for Cozens and Thompson's production. That doesn't mean they can't get better in other areas, but Thompson and Cozens are mainly it to this date.

I would have liked to have seen a legit VETERAN top 4 D-man added in the offseason....and maybe a very good, BIG 4th liner who can hit/defend/play the PK (to get Thompson off of it).  Those are the things I wish Adams would have added in the offseason.

• Like (+1) 2

Possible way too soon glass half full take...

UPL is looking more and more like legitimate NHL level goalie. I still have my doubts if he'll ever be an elite #1, but as a minimum he's at least playing competent NHL backup level hockey this year. At age 24, there's still room on the goalie development curve for him too.

All that said, he's had similar stretches in the past and could easily go cold as he did before. Somehow, it just feels a bit different this time though.

• Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, K-9 said:

As long as the boys don't confuse effort with results, I’m not too displeased with today’s performance. 

I think one of the problems with this team is that it does confuse effort with results.  From the GM on down.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Possible way too soon glass half full take...

UPL is looking more and more like legitimate NHL level goalie. I still have my doubts if he'll ever be an elite #1, but as a minimum he's at least playing competent NHL backup level hockey this year. At age 24, there's still room on the goalie development curve for him too.

All that said, he's had similar stretches in the past and could easily go cold as he did before. Somehow, it just feels a bit different this time though.

I need to see more from him still, but I'm at least at the point where I am OPEN to seeing more from him and if I do...I'll be thinking he can be/is a competant NHL goalie.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

That was a good effort today but the result wasn’t there.

There is no reason this team shouldn’t be better then the results.

There is enough talent in the lineup.

The goaltending has not let them down overall. There needs to be a shakeup with the coaching staff.

There has to be a statement made by this organization that missing the playoffs every season isn’t OK. Raise the standards.

I think it starts with a seasoned, successful NHL coach and staff that can implement a structured system and work ethic into this team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Regulars on this board keep repeating the same things over and over, but they are true and remain true to this day:

-This team is now getting better goaltending than last year.  They are allowing less goals.  The MAIN things that are worse this year than last year are simply Cozens production and Thompson's production.  Cozens is even getting about the same number of shots and opportunities. 

This team top to bottom is slightly BETTER last year except for Cozens and Thompson's production. That doesn't mean they can't get better in other areas, but Thompson and Cozens are mainly it to this date.

I would have liked to have seen a legit VETERAN top 4 D-man added in the offseason....and maybe a very good, BIG 4th liner who can hit/defend/play the PK (to get Thompson off of it).  Those are the things I wish Adams would have added in the offseason.

We need help all around. Some scoring help, too. This is what I meant before - if we’d had added some help, and not done nothing, the additions either prove to be necessary because last year’s one-off production from those guys was just that, or, those guys round back into form and the additions STILL prove necessary because the goal wasn’t to actually be a 20th place team, what we were last year. We needed help either way.

Players like Thompson have significantly improved their defence this year, last I checked. Yes, we are allowing less goals, and it was never a matter of simply adding great defence to a 94 point Tage. It was never about helping out the goaltending by committing to a more defensive structure while ALSO keeping all those pointz.

There was always going to be a price: whether Adams paid it, or we paid for it in offence 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

We need help all around. Some scoring help, too. This is what I meant before - if we’d had added some help, and not done nothing, the additions either prove to be necessary because last year’s one-off production from those guys was just that, or, those guys round back into form and the additions STILL prove necessary because the goal wasn’t to actually be a 20th place team, what we were last year. We needed help either way.

Players like Thompson have significantly improved their defence this year, last I checked. Yes, we are allowing less goals, and it was never a matter of simply adding great defence to a 94 point Tage. It was never about helping out the goaltending by committing to a more defensive structure while ALSO keeping all those pointz.

There was always going to be a price: whether Adams paid it, or we paid for it in offence 

One of the big failings of KA and this organization is that they inexplicably and foolishly seem to be clinging to the belief that there will be a linear progression with all of their prospects and players. That is not only arrogant, it's unrealistic. As you stated...and most of us have echoed...they needed/need to make some moves in the off-season and now in-season which are more than merely window dressing. It's just asinine that Pegula finds the last decade to be acceptable and is fine with the status quo. Even the most inept of franchises (I'm looking at you, Buffalo) should not miss the playoffs this many years in a row. This 'Groundhog Day' fiasco is a big 'F U' to the fans.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

One of the big failings of KA and this organization is that they inexplicably and foolishly seem to be clinging to the belief that there will be a linear progression with all of their prospects and players. That is not only arrogant, it's unrealistic. As you stated...and most of us have echoed...they needed/need to make some moves in the off-season and now in-season which are more than merely window dressing. It's just asinine that Pegula finds the last decade to be acceptable and is fine with the status quo. Even the most inept of franchises (I'm looking at you, Buffalo) should not miss the playoffs this many years in a row. This 'Groundhog Day' fiasco is a big 'F U' to the fans.

It’s pretty clear the Pegulas can only focus on one of their teams at a time.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

Also they haven't had many games with their normal lineup so far. Was a few months into the year with Quinn coming back until they had their normal lineup back...then Thompson and Tuch and Skinner got hurt on a rotating basis 

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

As long as the boys don't confuse effort with results, I’m not too displeased with today’s performance. 

Agree… but it is the Captain, Team Leaders, the Coaches and GM who need to be crystal clear with this message…

Have yet to hear Granato or Adams say this consistently in post game or public remarks… 

15 minutes ago, Slack_in_MA said:

It’s pretty clear the Pegulas can only focus on one of their teams at a time.

Take five minutes to get a competent front office and President of Hockey Operations, then Terry can go back to counting his shekels, taking power naps, and disappearing into the background like he's so fond of doing. Problem solved. 

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Believer said:

Agree… but it is the Captain, Team Leaders, the Coaches and GM who need to be crystal clear with this message…

Have yet to hear Granato or Adams say this consistently in post game or public remarks… 

As @jad1 said above, everyone from the GM on down confuses effort with results and I tend to agree. 

Another Buffalo Sabres loss. The bottom line is this Sabres core of Tage Thompson, Alex Tuch, Dylan Cozens aren’t good enough. In the offseason the Sabres need a major block buster trade like when the Sabres moved Jim Schoenfeld, Danny Gare, Derek Smith and Bob Sauve to the Detroit Red Wings in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

Did we not watch the same game or is the bar that low for this team?  That effort was *****, that coaching was *****, this team is embarrassing.  

24 minutes ago, Sabres Super Fan said:

Another Buffalo Sabres loss. The bottom line is this Sabres core of Tage Thompson, Alex Tuch, Dylan Cozens aren’t good enough. In the offseason the Sabres need a major block buster trade like when the Sabres moved Jim Schoenfeld, Danny Gare, Derek Smith and Bob Sauve to the Detroit Red Wings in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

It’s not the players.  We have good players. They just don’t know what they are suppose to do out there.  This group is an underachieving joke of a team. They should be ashamed of this effort. But they don’t have anyone telling them that because then someone might be held accountable.  Can we all stop pretending these players are the problem because once we trade promising players away, 9/10 they have a successful career.  

• Agree 2

Until we get a real head coach and staff in here this will be the norm. Granato is a good dude but isn't the caliber of HC that is going to get you a cup imo, the fact that Ellis is still on the staff after how abysmal this powerplay is speaks volumes about the coach and GM, how can you be serious about winning when you've literally not made 1 single change worth a damn other than a 4th liner like Eric Robinson.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Sabres Super Fan said:

Another Buffalo Sabres loss. The bottom line is this Sabres core of Jack, Samson, Risto aren't good enough. In the offseason the Sabres need a major block buster trade like when the Sabres moved................................

Did I make my point?

It's the coaching, and the team culture that comes from that coaching failure and the lack of leadership along with that. 

2 hours ago, #freejame said:

Fire Matt Ellis. If Granato won’t, fire him too. 

It's not enough. It won't change much if anything. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.