WJC 2023 Tourney Updates and Sabres Notes

LGR4GM

14 hours ago, French Collection said:

Jagger Firkus has been summoned from Canada, probably not a good sign.

And what a name too...  I just hope they pronounce it Yagger and Jagger like Mick.

Savoie is someone I could see the moving this summer.

Interesting that Slovakia did not start their #1 tendy in the US game.  That dude has bailed that team out and would have made a significant difference in the game.  Might not have won, but I bet the US would not have been buzzing as much as they were.

2 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

If you are watching Sweden and want to try find Wahlberg, just look for the big  guy in yellow standing in front of the other teams net 

No worries....if GMKA and Granato are still around, they will make sure to remove any masculinity that Wahlberg may have and turn him into a timid perimeter player.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • dislike 2

7 hours ago, LTS said:

And what a name too...  I just hope they pronounce it Yagger and Jagger like Mick.

Savoie is someone I could see the moving this summer.

Interesting that Slovakia did not start their #1 tendy in the US game.  That dude has bailed that team out and would have made a significant difference in the game.  Might not have won, but I bet the US would not have been buzzing as much as they were.

US didn't start their #1 either.

Pretty sure Slovakia wouldn't have seen as many chances either if the kid from Michigan State were between the pipes.

Wonder if both coaches agreed ahead of time to roll with the backups in that preliminary round matchup knowing that they both would likely be 1 and 2 coming out of the bracket?

And agree that Savoie is a very possible trade piece when real trades actually start happening.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Taro T said:

US didn't start their #1 either.

Pretty sure Slovakia wouldn't have seen as many chances either if the kid from Michigan State were between the pipes.

Wonder if both coaches agreed ahead of time to roll with the backups in that preliminary round matchup knowing that they both would likely be 1 and 2 coming out of the bracket?

And agree that Savoie is a very possible trade piece when real trades actually start happening.

Augustine was in net when I woke up and turned the game on.. isn't he the #1?  He wasn't playing earlier in the tournament because of illness.

53 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

bonk would fit in with our defence. 

sucks for Savoie and Canada but the legend of Kulich will continue 

He’s going to be a good one. 

To me the first overall pick in 24 will not make the kind of impact that Bedard is making. Bedard was by far the best player last year in the WJC.

2-0 Swedes. Wahlberg with another screen for a PP goal in front.

I would not move Östlund, WAHLBERG or Benson. The 3 of them play 200 foot games and Wahlberg has and uses the size they need up front.

Savoie, Rosen or even Kulich if a difference making core piece player was available I would consider moving.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I only saw the 12 minute highlight package but in that Savoie's line seemed to be in it a lot as did Kulich's. No finish on Canada's end though. Geekie looks like an NHLer. I know there's a knock on his skating, but I think he will be better than his brother. 

Yeah Canada couldn’t finish all game.

Geekie has improved his skating since his draft. Coyotes are building an NBA team.

• Like (+1) 1

"I thought the pair of Jonathan Lekkerimäki (VAN) and Noah Östlund (BUF) were excellent again for Sweden, too. They’ve been Sweden’s most dangerous duo up front and created a ton of looks on Tuesday. Lekkerimäki scored Sweden’s second goal and assisted on the winner to push him to seven points in five games. Östlund also chipped in on the winner and had the puck a lot (he too is up to seven points). His skating and craftiness have really jumped out here." — Scott Wheeler

https://theathletic.com/5174963/2024/01/02/world-junior-championship-day-7-takeaways-canada-eliminated?source=user-shared-article

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.