Do you root for different teams for different sports and why?

steveoat87

Buffalo born and raised, grew up in Cheek-to-waga.

Bills because my grandfather and grandmother introduced me to them in 64-65 watching with them on the old black and white TV. They were huge sports fans mainly baseball and football. 

Sabre's, because when I started playing pond hockey the French connection was really something to see on tv and we emulated them on the ponds we played on. There was shared ice in our park started by the 1st kids from the neighborhood who shoveled it to create the rink (never quite the same shape). Kids from the hood just showed up regularly and you'd play pickup games. Sometimes 3 on 3 others 7 on 7.

Braves, because my best friend played HS basketball and got me interested and who didn't like a little. MCAdoo.  interest left me like the Baves left Bflo with Paul Brown selling them off like he did.

Bisons; Because my Grandparents followed them and knew every player. They were also Yankee's fans, so I naturally like them as well.   

College sports: Well, while I teen I caught a few Alabama games on TV with Bear Bryant and still a fan of them today. Oh and of course my alma mater, UB Bulls. 

Casual fan of a lot of other sports but not really following, Tennis, Golf, MLS.

Bills because they're local team. I do watch the NFL regardless if Bills play. Hockey? Sabres as our local team. If we didn't have local hockey team I'd probably not watch much hockey at all. Baseball I'm a Mets fan. Growing up in the Golden years of baseball I still love the sport.

Bills, Sabres, and probably Blue Jays (but I don't really watch baseball anymore.)

I grew up a Yankees fan.  When I was a teenager I was one of those kids that got upset if I didn't have the opportunity to watch all 162 yankees games, and I probably watched 120-130 Yankee games per year (and all the playoff games start to end).  I have a few ideas, but sometime after the early 2000's, not only did I 'fall out of love' with the yankees, but now I kinda very much dislike the orgainzation. But, as I mentioned above, I haven't watched a full 9 inning baseball game in years now.

If I have a '2nd' team in hockey or football, it usually is a younger, up-and-comer that I like until/unless they start to get too much attention.  Columbus, the Raiders, it really depends game-by-game.

Edited by mjd1001

Sabres, of course.  I follow the Bills a little bit, but I have lost most interest in football because of the NFL's actions over CTE.  I have a passing interest in the Cleveland Cavaliers because several of my friends are from Cleveland.  Although I kind of like the Blue Jays, I lost interest in baseball after the 1994 strike essentially killed off the Montreal Expos.  After that, I am basically market driven: root for the small market teams.

Born and raised in Williamsville.  Bills and Sabres. My parents had season tickets to both as a kid and I was hooked.  How could you not get hooked on the French Connection and sadly watching OJ tote the rock?

I was also a big Buffalo Braves fan as a kid. Got to know Randy Smith back in the day and became a fan of his and therefore the Braves.  Once John Y Brown destroyed the team, I was done with pro hoops.  I also find watching the NBA a close cousin to watching paint dry.

I am a huge Atlanta Braves fan.  Became a Braves fan watching Hank’s run for 715 and going to spring training games in West Palm with my Grandfather.  It was somewhat ironic I moved to Atlanta just before they became great.  My wife and I had the privilege of attending all the home Braves playoff games in 1991 and 1992. We had so much fun and it solidified our fandom forever.  My office is actually across the street from the new Braves stadium.

Indiana University sports: They won the NCAA’s in 1987, my Junior year.  There is nothing like the energy in Assembly Hall for a basketball game.  I took my oldest daughter to an IU vs Purdue when IU was No.1 (Cody Zeller team).  My daughter, who grew up attending UGA football games, thought the game was the most exciting sporting event she had been to (prior to UGA’s National Championships). She is, despite being a UGA alum, a huge IU basketball fan.

Lastly UGA Football.  I married into a huge UGA family.  My kids are the 4th straight generation of my wife’s family to attend UGA.  Over the last 32 years, i have easily attended over 150 UGA games.  Hard not to become a fan.  As @LGR4GM will also tell you, there is nothing like Saturday in Athens.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

I was born and raised in Buffalo and followed the Sabres and Bills throughout my childhood.  Hockey came first, having played the sport at the "mite" level (age 4-5, I think - it was a long time ago) and sitting on my parents' lap at the Aud for Sabres games.  Started following the Bills as a kid in the Joe Ferguson era, although in the days of NFL blackouts, we only got to see 8 games per year.  On Sunday afternoons when the Bills were at home, I'd play football in the street with my brothers and friends while listening to Van Miller call the game on a portable radio.  In high school and college (Super Bowl era for me), my best friend's dad had 4 Bills seats on the 45 yard line and was very generous with them.  Went to tons of games and really learned how to tailgate as a teenager!  (The same dad had 2 Sabres seats that he was also always generous with).  Went to a major Big 10 school and that has been my college team ever since.

I have lived in two major markets with teams in all of the professional sports leagues, but have never adopted the teams in the cities in which I live.  It's always been the Sabres and Bills for me!  My dad grew up in Rochester as a Yankees fan, so that's my MLB team, although I typically don't like big spending/major market/front runner types of teams.  NBA is one where I don't have a consistent team.  I went to a few Braves games as a kid, liked the Larry Bird Celtics, then liked the Miami Heat (pre-Lebron James) and now I typically root for teams from smaller markets like Cleveland and Milwaukee.  I tend to prefer teams that draft and develop their own over teams like the Lakers who buy up all the high-priced free agents and create superteams (which is at odds with being a Yankee fan, but I was born into it).  I have no connection to those cities, but think it would be fun to see the Sacramento Kings or the OKC Thunder win a championship.

If a team in my current city makes a deep playoff run, I'll get on the bandwagon a little bit.  It's not a deep love for those teams, but I like to watch sports, go out, have a few cold ones, and have fun, so it's a great excuse to join the party.  My wife thinks I watch too much sports (and she's right), but if the local team is doing well and everyone else is into it, I get a free pass.  In those situations, I can have a few drinks, socialize and focus on key points in the game.  If a Buffalo team is on, I'm not social at all.  I'm totally focused, watch every play, every player, etc.  I might be known to drop a few f-bombs here and there.  My kid keeps telling me "Dad, do you know they can't hear you?"  It's just a different level.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.