GDT: Flyers @ Sabres - November 3, 2023 - 7:00PM, NHLN/MSG-B📺WGR📻

Doohickie

3 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Cozens just stood up for himself.  

No one on this team can take Hathaway. Maybe Greenway, but he doesn’t fight.  We have no match. 

Oh no. We may not have had a match for an end of game scrum when it was 5 -1.  What are we gonna do? If we would’ve had someone to win that fight then maybe JJ Peterka wouldn’t miss that goal or throw that bad pass to the blue line or pass a puck in the someone’s skates every shift. Maybe power wouldn’t put it into the other team skates every shift. I would’ve solved a lot of hills if we could’ve just won that end of game fight.

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

Box score watching this one. Power at -5 is….bad….

He had an awful game.

• Like (+1) 5

4 minutes ago, Billznut said:

If only we had a GM capable of putting an NHL qualify defense on the ice. Maybe next season. Adams has a five year leash. He’s in no real hurry. 

The funny thing is, that 5 year leash would hypothetically be over in 17 months 

3 minutes ago, SDS said:

Oh no. We may not have had a match for an end of game scrum when it was 5 -1.  What are we gonna do? If we would’ve had someone to win that fight then maybe JJ Peterka wouldn’t miss that goal or throw that bad pass to the blue line or pass a puck in the someone’s skates every shift. Maybe power wouldn’t put it into the other team skates every shift. I would’ve solved a lot of hills if we could’ve just won that end of game fight.

He had an awful game.

It’s big uncle Rico energy I agree. Not punch just the idea of it 

Edited by Thorny

Just now, SDS said:

I remember the time you got pissed Cozens fought in a 3-2 loss @ NYR three years ago, and said that it was a waste and pointless and nobody would remember it, and the players talked about how much they loved it and were still referencing it once in a while more than a year later, and fans still remember it too, far more than they ever would a regular 3-2 loss in the spring

Too bad the Sabres aren't Men Of Reason like you 

• Like (+1) 2

On a note not totally related to this game....the reason you need to have patience with some young players.  Travis Konecny.

He was a late first rounder, not an elite pick.  He's been a good player from the time he got in the league, but not a star. Through is first 6 seasons in the league, he was a 15-16 minute guy. 110 goals in 428 games (about a 20-21 goal guy).  Good player, good offensively, but not even close to great or a star.  Now last year he starts the season at age 25, and since then he has scored 40 goals in his lasat 71 games ( over 46 goals per 82 games).  

He was always a decent guy, but starting when he turned 25, he as basically more than doubled his scoring rate for the past season and so far this year.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, SDS said:

Not sure what any of this means.  Maybe you should send it to who I was responding to? 

6 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I remember the time you got pissed Cozens fought in a 3-2 loss @ NYR three years ago, and said that it was a waste and pointless and nobody would remember it, and the players talked about how much they loved it and were still referencing it once in a while more than a year later, and fans still remember it too, far more than they ever would a regular 3-2 loss in the spring

Too bad the Sabres aren't Men Of Reason like you 

4FA38E60-A897-4578-87C4-AC210080BFB9.gif.fcdb75b8019821a4e9d2b151d3dfd599.gif

totally forgot about that fight until now 

Really, this game should have also happened Wednesday, the difference today is the Flyers weren't unlucky and UPL wasn't as hot. It's not alarming that you have a flat game - what's alarming is that this team has answered you before, you had time to prepare for both of the games, you got lucky in the first game, and still played even worse in the second one. You could see Torts' smirk a couple of times. He knew he had us. He knew who he was up against and it made him laugh. 

What does a team that REALLY has expectations do when the season starts like this? When 2, maybe 3 of the first 11 games are acceptable efforts? There are answers to this question but we probably aren't going to see our team answer them. How long does it take for those things to happen when a team is serious? Probably not much longer. But if there's one thing our Sabres know how to do, it's let extreme situations fester for unimaginably long stretches of time with no antiseptic 

I regret ever laughing at the Kane idea. Give me something, anything to show that you have life and an ounce of diagnostic ability. 

• Agree 2

They won’t say it publicly but i think these players will be panicking soon.  They are tied with San Jose and Pittsburgh for the most home losses. They just can’t be Top 5 in that category again if they hope to make the wild card. They aren’t going to be as good on the road as they were last year. 

• Like (+1) 2

Well I guess I can't talk about red and black mojo any more. 

UPL fan club all go home early this time? I told you he wasn't that good last time and he was exactly the same this time but the Flyers clearly watched the video and saw the weaknesses. Shot to the corners and glove side and UPL is a disaster in that and always has been.  I would assume word will travel and other teams will figure this out too. 

imo we were simply out coached. The two games were interesting because they are a contrast in styles. First game they skated more wide open and just tried to drive the net thinking that was the weak point. We blocked shots, UPL got a little lucky, they shot wildly, we made the most of opportunities and we won. This time they tightened up, clogged the middle, and won most of the one on one battles with simple basic physicality. Easy win for them. Good coaching adjustment. Granato just did the same as always. 

Fret not, Leafs will let us play wide open and we can beat them at their own game (unless goaltending sinks us). It's not the real way to beat the Leafs, who are a fairly easy team to keep to the outside (like us) but it gives us a bounce here or there coin toss kind of chance. 

Overall though we suck again, we are the same again, and although I can't fault Cozens frustration I'm not sure why he chose the second best fighter on that team. Did he think a guy like Hathaway would just accept the cross check? Wish we'd signed Hathaway instead of Okposo like I said in free agency but whatever. 

Krebs is a liability and has to go and apparently Samuelsson is made of glass.  Won't make the playoffs AGAIN.  That is all. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2

34 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Tuch had a rough game as well....-3 tonight.  There's a "sickness" within this team that is very troubling affecting players that I had much higher expectations from.

Not sure this is true.   Just happened to be on the ice when the Flyers scored 

he was one of the few positive players on the team 5v5 tonight and his line probably deserved a better outcome 

• Disagree 1

The home-away record is bafflilng.  Last year they played at a  106 point team on the road, a 76 point team at home.

This year this game puts them below .500 at home again (its early, but a 70 point pace at home).

FYI, league average home/away record not counting the Sabres is about a 96 point pace at home, 83 point pace at home...this season.

So yes, teams DO play much better at home than away...but the Sabres continue to not be able to do so.

11 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Geez, Granato sounding like a broken record in the post presser....."we need to be more direct and decisive".  He's sounding more like Krueger unfortunately.  Usage of such words vs. simple plain ENGLISH is a bunch of mumbo jumbo.  He needs to use SIMPLE words to convey his points.

"direct and decisive" isn't simple English?

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.