GDT - Lightning @ Sabres - October 17, 2023 - 7:30 PM (EDT) - ESPN & WGR

Sabres Fan in NS

16 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Positive -  we won 

Positive - Levi

Positive - we outplayed them, they are really good old guys but they can’t hang with us if we start finishing and put up the goals we are capable of. 

It looked to me that the Sabres really only outplayed them for the first period. After that Tampa starting winning most of the puck battles and you could almost smell that tying goal coming. Once O.T started, it was all Buffalo. I'll take the win, but in all honesty, the Sabres have been disappointing so far in the first 3 games. I hope this win changes things. They will need last season's offensive output to get anywhere this season, and so far, it hasn't happened.

• Agree 2

Just now, Doohickie said:

Coulda swore it was Power.  Joki was out there with him and everything....

I thought you were probably right and it was another thing I miss saw that’s why I went back. But it was definitely Dahlin and they said his name too 

• Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, ... said:

Krebs didn't do too well with his lineup change.

Was just talking about this with a friend who wad at the game. Talented linemates are just wasted on Krebs.

I really don’t see anything in his skill set or the way he plays the game that says he will make his linemates better and vice versa. He’s like the anti-Benson. 

3 minutes ago, eman said:

It looked to me that the Sabres really only outplayed them for the first period. After that Tampa starting winning most of the puck battles and you could almost smell that tying goal coming. Once O.T started, it was all Buffalo. I'll take the win, but in all honesty, the Sabres have been disappointing so far in the first 3 games. I hope this win changes things. They will need last season's offensive output to get anywhere this season, and so far, it hasn't happened.

I thought the last couple of minutes was complete shut down hockey until the last 10 seconds.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, SDS said:

Was just talking about this with a friend who wad at the game. Talented linemates are just wasted on Krebs.

I really don’t see anything in his skill set or the way he plays the game that says he will make his linemates better and vice versa. He’s like the anti-Benson. 

When the stats meet the eye test (Krebs)

when they don’t… 

Clifton?

• Thanks (+1) 1

I actually think they didn't play much better/different than in the first 2 games it was just that Tampa is struggling offensively right now and really misses Stamkos. They are not the team they were and very definitely could be the one that drops out of the playoffs this year. 

We are trying to be a little more physical but we still lost most of the board battles and they got their cheap point because we failed physically around the net as we usually do. Giving the teams we might be fighting with for the playoffs loser points could kill us end of the season.

Levi was good in the third. Good rebound control which was important as Tampa was trying for the garbage goals all night. 

We dominated the 3 on 3 as I expect we will often as we do have talent and they like open ice. Hopefully the OT goal gets Cozens out of his funk. 

1-2 is better than 0-3 but we will have to be better than this. 

• Like (+1) 3

Felt while we let off the pedal midway through the 2nd; they deserved the win seeing as they more or less played ok the whole game and did well on defense for the most part. Lightning always seem to get bounces and PPs against us though. I honestly feel bad for them at the end of the 3rd since they played that perfectly for 2 minutes only for one slight bounce to give the Lightning that ray of light to score through. As for Dahlin's play, he reached out to chip the puck away, by the time he had re-stabilized the puck was already coming back to Hagel. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SDS said:

I thought the last couple of minutes was complete shut down hockey until the last 10 seconds.

That's not a successful formula for this club. We have seen what transpired all too often. The fact that they actually won this game is the bonus in all of it. This was the type of heartbreaker they used to lose. You have to go with their strength which was their offense last season. Not sure where it is right now but they had better find it soon. You could smell that tying goal coming, and then it did.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I will continue to beat the dead horse that Power had no business being handed that contract.  His refusal to play any defense other than stick checking is not acceptable, and shame on DG and the other coaches for doing nothing about it. I’d sit his a$$ in the press box until he shows in practice that he will engage the opposition. 

That being said…good win!

He was really good. He’s got some Benson-level awareness. 

2 minutes ago, eman said:

That's not a successful formula for this club. We have seen what transpired all too often. The fact that they actually won this game is the bonus in all of it. This was the type of heartbreaker they used to lose. You have to go with their strength which was their offense last season. Not sure where it is right now but they had better find it soon. You could smell that tying goal coming, and then it did.

Yeah. I didn’t smell anything but a victory the last couple minutes. 

I mean they couldn’t even enter the zone for two minutes. I don’t know how you’re smelling a game tying  goal there.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I spent the last 30 seconds or so wondering why the top line was out there to end the game short handed. Then they tied it up. 

I will say tonight was a better effort from the group. Some missteps, but Skinner gets a goal and Thomers was tossing his body around quite a bit at time. 

56 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I will continue to beat the dead horse that Power had no business being handed that contract.  His refusal to play any defense other than stick checking is not acceptable, and shame on DG and the other coaches for doing nothing about it. I’d sit his a$$ in the press box until he shows in practice that he will engage the opposition. 

I saw what you saw on that GTG.  I agree that Power needs to engage physically more.  I think it will come with age/experience.  

• Like (+1) 2

56 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

He's 20 years old. You sound like those fans who were calling Dahlin a bust.... when he was 21. Obviously Sabres are banking on him getting overpaid early in his contract and then deal becomes very team-friendly.

Also, Power is making $916k this season. Yeah, so overpaid 🙄😅

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Curt said:

I saw what you saw on that GTG.  I agree that Power needs to engage physically more.  I think it will come with age/experience.  

I don’t mind the contact. For me it’s not a matter of if we find value in it, but when. I can look over some of Powers deficiencies for a year or two. But by year 3 I need him to be playing at or close to AAV. That’s the only way we get good value on it. 

I also don’t think he’s way off schedule like some posters. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.